Jul 20 2013
By: bob-maul Welcoming Committee 14647 posts

The Death Penalty

34 replies 173 views Edited Jul 20, 2013

This should be an interesting discussion. 

I am personally against the death penalty for several reasons. 

1. I hate the chance of an innocent person dying when evidence is found just a little while later that proves it was not them. It has happened several times.

2. Economically, it makes no sense. The criminal appeals it a thousand times and, by the time he/she is executed, has wasted more state money than if they had kept them locked away,

3. If you want them to suffer, they should not get a fast path to death. The largest suffering will come from them sitting in a prison for 40 years with nothing but a cold toilet and window. Obviously this may differ from person to person. They may not want to die because prison life is no big deal to them, but I think a boring 40 years in a horrible place is a fine punishment before their death.

4. This is my personal reason. I cannot imagine killing a person. I would like to think that I could rationalize it in my mind if they had done a horrible deed, but I would just suffer emotionally if I had to pull the trigger (an injection, rather, but you get my point ).

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 1 of 35 (173 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11298 posts

Re: The Death Penalty

Jul 20, 2013
Message 2 of 35 (165 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
11942 posts

Jul 20, 2013

renatabls wrote:
http://youtu.be/SHeXraHQ4X8

I turned it off at the 1:20 mark. That guy is just full of garbage. I liked how he thought dropping the F bomb gave his arguement validity.

But on the bright side, that attck took place like 20 minutes from the military base we were living on at the time! Yayyyy!

Message 3 of 35 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 20, 2013

renatabls wrote:
http://youtu.be/SHeXraHQ4X8

That is going into a whole 'nother debate. It is a debate that I have looked into a lot. 

Is a human life worth more than a dog's? Well, I would say so. I would say that we have intrinsic worth in all of us. I hold to that based on my basic human instincts and with a religious viewpoint that we were created different than the res tof life. 

From a secular government's standpoint, however, it becomes very...hard to make the claim that human lives are somehow worth more than dogs' lives. Surely, if we go by a similar "no special design" standpoint, we are just as important as dogs (as in, not at all important since their is no plan). 

We are led to a very difficult choice. Either ban the killing of violent dogs. Or we could kill violent humans just as we do to dogs. 

It is a very interesting debate indeed. And I barely scratched the surface. This debate is a humanist's nightmare.

Message 4 of 35 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4356 posts

Jul 20, 2013
Well, this is a serious matter. Looks like I don't belong here...
Message 5 of 35 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Jul 20, 2013

rengle598 wrote:
Well, this is a serious matter. Looks like I don't belong here...

Pfft...you belong here, rengle... You know you do. Join us...join us... 

Message 6 of 35 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Jul 20, 2013
I don't think I agree with it. They're sitting in jail for YEARS before they get lethally injected, so I don't see the point.
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 7 of 35 (126 Views)
I Only Post Everything
923 posts

Jul 20, 2013
Well federal prison is easy,but state prisons are hell on earth,if u get out of line u get 3 officers pounding ur face in,but i think someone who murdered sum1 does not desrve to see another day,bob,i respect ur opinion,but understand mine. If someone killed a dear friend or close relative of urs,wouldnt u want justice? And i think ppl are just too"Aw,the poor serial killer,he ra.ped 12 women then slowly tortured and killed them,but let him live." And i am disgusted by those people. They deserve to die for what they do.
.................!!!
Message 8 of 35 (123 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14647 posts

Jul 20, 2013

maarillianaire wrote:
Well federal prison is easy,but state prisons are hell on earth,if u get out of line u get 3 officers pounding ur face in,but i think someone who murdered sum1 does not desrve to see another day,bob,i respect ur opinion,but understand mine. If someone killed a dear friend or close relative of urs,wouldnt u want justice? And i think ppl are just too"Aw,the poor serial killer,he ra.ped 12 women then slowly tortured and killed them,but let him live." And i am disgusted by those people. They deserve to die for what they do.

‘Eye for eye, and tooth for tooth.’ But I tell you, do not resist an evil person. If anyone slaps you on the right cheek, turn to them the other cheek also.

If they hurt someone dear to me, I am not to go and kill them as repayment for their deeds. They will go to prison an rot for the rest of their lives. 

Message 9 of 35 (115 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
923 posts

Jul 20, 2013
Im Christian as well,but there is a time for everything,and a season for all under God,and remember there comes a time when punishment must be dealt and the grace period expires,most likely the mans gonna kill himself,most lifers in prison do,if God didnt want the Death Penalty,then it wouldnt exist. It serves its purpose.
.................!!!
Message 10 of 35 (108 Views)
0 Likes