Feb 15 2013
By: AbysmalDawna Fender Bender 2003 posts

The Cloud and Our Future Shock

[ Edited ]
8 replies 245 views Edited Feb 15, 2013

For some reason I have always been suspicious of the so-called cloud and even somewhat fearful of it. They say you fear what you dont understand and maybe the fact that the cloud came out of a clear blue sky a few years ago and everybody is supposed to accept it as the next great evolution of technology. scares me even if I dont know exactly why.  I have always liked to possess whatever it is I buy so I feel like I own something.  Whether it is a video game, record, dvd or whatever. It seems as if I pay for something I should get something I can hold in my hands.

Which brings us to the "cloud".  Where is it, what is it and who is in charge of it? I am sure somebody has the answer to all of these questions but all I know is there seems to be something I will label as "The Cloud Conspiracy".   For years we did fine without "Clouds" but now everywhere you look somebody is trying to lure you into the "cloud". Amazon, Microsoft and everybody else directing us to the cloud and for some reason it kind of scares me.  I have always felt that if something isnt broke why fix it?  And then of course there is "Murphey's Law" that if something can go wrong it will sooner or later.  What about you?  Do you like the "cloud" ?  Isnt everything in Home now in the cloud?  It just seems kind of freaky.

Edit: Moved from PS Home General

U--J

Message 1 of 9 (245 Views)
Sackboy
392 posts

Re: The Cloud and Our Future Shock

Feb 15, 2013
They tell us not to put our head in the clouds so why should we give clouds our data what happens when the cloud burst huh
Message 2 of 9 (212 Views)
Shinra Executive
29271 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Personally not interested in digital downloads for games. I'll continue to buy my games on disk. 

I have no problem with game saves or other data being saved server side. I think in the long run that is actually safer than having them stored on local hard drives. Would be nice however if we had the ability to do both – choose local or cloud and the ability to upload (replace) saves that are server side. 

Message 3 of 9 (201 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
8001 posts

Feb 15, 2013

AbysmalDawna wrote:

For some reason I have always been suspicious of the so-called cloud and even somewhat fearful of it. They say you fear what you dont understand and maybe the fact that the cloud came out of a clear blue sky a few years ago and everybody is supposed to accept it as the next great evolution of technology. scares me even if I dont know exactly why.  I have always liked to possess whatever it is I buy so I feel like I own something.  Whether it is a video game, record, dvd or whatever. It seems as if I pay for something I should get something I can hold in my hands.

Which brings us to the "cloud".  Where is it, what is it and who is in charge of it? I am sure somebody has the answer to all of these questions but all I know is there seems to be something I will label as "The Cloud Conspiracy".   For years we did fine without "Clouds" but now everywhere you look somebody is trying to lure you into the "cloud". Amazon, Microsoft and everybody else directing us to the cloud and for some reason it kind of scares me.  I have always felt that if something isnt broke why fix it?  And then of course there is "Murphey's Law" that if something can go wrong it will sooner or later.  What about you?  Do you like the "cloud" ?  Isnt everything in Home now in the cloud?  It just seems kind of freaky.

Don't change your tune. You wrote this little helpful piece just the other day:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/1-75-Terms-of-Service-Breakdown-Public-Servi...

#2 (as stated by yourself) "Sony is God". Who are we to question any decisions made is basically what you stated.

Don't waffle now...you'll lose your standing amongst the apologists and no one will take you seriously. Oh wait.....

Message 4 of 9 (173 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Feb 15, 2013
Sony isn't god!
Message 5 of 9 (163 Views)
I Only Post Everything
778 posts

Feb 15, 2013

Everyone knows Lemmy is God !

HOMELINGS ROCK!!!!
Message 6 of 9 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20557 posts

Feb 15, 2013
Even if the companies have the ability to completely wipe your stuff because they are "God," do you know how bad of a rep they would get just for deleting everyone's files? Yeah, it would be pretty bad.

They aren't "fixing" a broken thing; they are creating a new way to store all of your files. Some people may not want to have portable storage devices (for whatever reason) and you get free data to store extra stuff for free.

Just don't worry about it. If you want/don't want to use the Cloud from any certain company, then don't use it.
Message 7 of 9 (91 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
2003 posts

Feb 16, 2013

myalana wrote:

AbysmalDawna wrote:

Don't change your tune. You wrote this little helpful piece just the other day:

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/PlayStation-Home/1-75-Terms-of-Service-Breakdown-Public-Servi...

#2 (as stated by yourself) "Sony is God". Who are we to question any decisions made is basically what you stated.

Don't waffle now...you'll lose your standing amongst the apologists and no one will take you seriously. Oh wait.....

OK lets get this straight.  You said "Sony is God".  I {AbysmalDawna} said "Sony is god".  When you capitilize it the meaning changes. So please if you are going to quote me please do it accurately. But please give your opinion on the cloud, thankyou

Message 8 of 9 (75 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
231 posts

Feb 21, 2013

I have a problem with the new system sony is going with, Streaming/Cloud gaming. The bandwidth required for such things is considerable, as well as costly for the end user. Even with the highest level internet available my family sees dips in performance when we use these.  Granted it may be better with the PS4 but it still requires internet capability, that is not a constant option.

Leadership is the art of getting someone else to do something you want done because he wants to do it. Dwight -D. Eisenhower
Message 9 of 9 (43 Views)
0 Likes