Jan 24 2007
By: AzianTourist Uncharted Territory 2026 posts

The Circle, Flash Drives, and Storing Data...

3 replies 1 views Edited Jan 24, 2007
For years, we've been storing data on circles, whether it be a DVD or a floppy disk.  Even hard drives have disks in them.  You can even go back to cassettes and VHS tapes.  The tape was rectangular, but the way it was stored was in a circular shape.  Records, too.  We've also been coming up with new ways to store more and more data on discs while keeping it the same size.

We also have newer storage technology with the flash drive, which is just a chip with no need to have a circular shape to it.  These things are faster than the conventional disk, but the ratio of storage space to cost is much greater than that of a disc.  Also, as far as I know, its storage capacity isn't as great as the disc's capacity has become, with the discs being able to have multiple layers for more storage.  But, in time, it seems as if the capacity of flash drives will increase while the cost declines, as do most other things.

The thing I want to know, though, is which would probably be the best type of storage?  Say, somewhere down the road, these two things are able to store the same amount of data and such for a similar price.  Will we continue loading movies into disk trays or will we just rent thumb drives from Blockbuster and pop it into our flash drive player?  Will games go back to the old cartridge like the old NES?  Will the circle become obsolete when it comes to storing data, or will it still reign supreme as the primary way of storing data?  Or, will it coincide with flash drives and will they somewhat compliment each other, like saving games on a PS2?
Currently Playing: The Darkness, Resistance: Fall of Man
Waiting For: Too Many to List
MGSolidSnake5's Profile Page
Message 1 of 4 (1 View)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2570 posts

Re: The Circle, Flash Drives, and Storing Data...

Jan 24, 2007
I'm thinking PAST circles.  Data orbs.  "Nodes" if you will.  Three hundred and sixty dgrees of readable data at such blinding capacity it boggles modern computers.  With a plastic casing and a fun vanity label.  Toss them, save them, trade them....data nodes.  Coming 2047.
Image hosted by Photobucket.com
Message 2 of 4 (1 View)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
19510 posts

Jan 24, 2007
I agree and I like your USB drives at blockbuster comment

Message 3 of 4 (1 View)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Uncharted Territory
2026 posts

Jan 25, 2007

Vedel Minashigo wrote:
I'm thinking PAST circles.  Data orbs.  "Nodes" if you will.  Three hundred and sixty dgrees of readable data at such blinding capacity it boggles modern computers.  With a plastic casing and a fun vanity label.  Toss them, save them, trade them....data nodes.  Coming 2047.

That's actually a very good idea, too.  Well, I guess my argument just went down the tubes.
Currently Playing: The Darkness, Resistance: Fall of Man
Waiting For: Too Many to List
MGSolidSnake5's Profile Page
Message 4 of 4 (1 View)
0 Likes