Jan 19 2013
By: Danger_Dad Treasure Hunter 3846 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
9 replies 276 views Edited Jan 19, 2013

technerd1000 tendered:

Hi all I don't think this no different to what they are going to do with our saved files. They all ready have our trophy in there server  and home item. When I got a new 160 gb ps3 last year I was think I would lose everything. I was so wrong as soon as I booted up my new ps3 all my personal spaces were there and trophy were there. if you need to know my old 60gb ps3 had the yellow ring of death last year. I personal think this new saved thing we will benefit from it and yes things can go wrong but no system online is 100% safe. It just a part of life stuff happends and like I said no system is 100% safe there is risk in everything.

:^/ TechNerd1000, are you familiar with external hard drives? Regulary backing up your PS3 would have protected you from losing your saved game data, music files, movie files and photos, which you did lose, but didn't mention.

As for Sony's impending change being no big deal, consider the following analogy:

Imagine that Microsoft proposed a similar change to their Word software. From now on, your Word document -document singular, not documents, plural- will be hosted on Microsoft's server, and not on your hard drive. Word will now ignore anything on your hard drive. Better make sure your favorite Word document is loaded when the "upgrade" goes into effect, because you'll be unable to access the others afterward. If you ever want to use a different document, go ahead and change the existing one, all over again, every single time.

Now imagine similar restrictions for Excel, Photoshop, or any creativity software whatsoever.

Yeah, Sony's change is like that.

Edit: Updated title to reflect discussion of thread.

Message 1 of 10 (276 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

Message 2 of 10 (256 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

:^/ No, but you lost your photos, music and movies, unless you backed them up. And the issue I brought up is the loss of flexibility and of creativity, which you've ignored.

Message 3 of 10 (241 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

Message 4 of 10 (366 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

:^/ Technerd, you're trying to suggest that being limited to one furniture layout is an acceptable trade-off in exchange for the file being hosted on Sony's server instead of being backed up to one's own thumb drive or external hard drive. You then opine that nothing is one hundred percent safe, even external hard drives get viruses, etc.

Have you forgotten The Outage? How Anonymous hacked Sony's servers so badly that Sony had to shut down PSN for over a month? I trust my files to my own hands more than to Sony's.

[Edit]

:^/ To address your points, I store music on my PS3 because my hard drive is bigger than youre iPhone's storage capacity, and unlike Netflix, my PS3 will store home movies that I shoot with my own camera.

[Edit]

:^/ Tech, as for your private message just now, I already explained how Sony hositng our furniture layouts on their servers is different from hosting our trophy data, etc. on their servers. I explained it in post number fifteen, on page two. To elaborate: We only have one trophy file, one list of personal spaces, one list of items that we own, etc. But furniture files are different. I have several layout files for my Harbor Studio, for example. One for Halloween, one for Thanksgiving, one for Christmas, etc. Each of them took many painstaking hours to set up exactly as I wanted it, instead of just slapped together indifferently. I can (currently) swap between them as easliy as copying a file.

That's how it currently is, and how it should be. Sony intends to take that away. To change layouts under their impending system would require erasing everything and painstakingly placing each and every stick of furniture exactly where it needs to go, and repeated every time a change is desired.

People would change furniture less often under such a restriction, and their creations would become less... well, less creative. The communitiy's creativity would quickly sink to the lowest common denominator.

The ones most effected by this would be those who spend the most time and energy -and money- on their creativity. Though GlassWalls has opined that they are very few, NorseGamer has previously pointed out that that tiny minority of Home's roster spend the vast majority of money spent on Home. Upsetting them just isn't smart.

Message 5 of 10 (331 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

Message 6 of 10 (317 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
3846 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

:^/ I edited my post above, but let's try to make it shorter....

Imagine a creative software that only allowed you to save one file, ever. If you wanted to create something new, you would have to overwrite the old file.

Imagine your iPhone allowing you to have only one music file on it at a time. If you wanted to buy a new one, you'd have to overwrite the old one, losing it until you bought it again. Does that sound reasonable?

Message 7 of 10 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1126 posts

Storing Data

[ Edited ]
Jan 19, 2013

Message 8 of 10 (241 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Moderator
2917 posts

Re: Storing Data

Jan 19, 2013

Moved from 'General Discussions > PS Home'.

Message 9 of 10 (117 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

Re: Storing Data

Jan 19, 2013

What?

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 10 of 10 (112 Views)
0 Likes