Highlighted
Feb 02 2013
By: havocsarmy Fender Bender 3987 posts

Speaking a foreign language. Is it a must?

19 replies 148 views Edited Feb 2, 2013

1.Which language is the easiest to speak?

English? French? Portugese? Spanish? Or other.

2.What's your favorite language? Mine is English

In the future, the U.S. is becoming increasingly the Nation of diversity, so... I'll take Spanish because of the population growth, but I think it's hard to master, although i'd love to speak Portugese

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 1 of 20 (148 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: Speaking a foreign language. Is it a must?

Feb 2, 2013

havocsarmy wrote:

In the future, the U.S. is becoming increasingly the Nation of diversity, so... I'll take Spanish because of the population growth, but I think it's hard to master, although i'd love to speak Portugese

It may be becoming more diverse but it's owned by China. You better study Mandarin and I don't mean oranges. Smiley Wink

Message 2 of 20 (148 Views)
Last Guardian
13545 posts

Feb 2, 2013

It's not a must have skill imo but it would be nice to be able to go to a foreign country and speak the language. A friend of mine is fluent in Spanish, German, Italian, and French. They were just able to pick that stuff up really quick obviously.

IMO we shouldn't have to cater to foriegners in the US because we speak English here. If the situation was reversed and Americans were settling in other countries, wouldn't we be expected to learn those languages?

Message 3 of 20 (141 Views)
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Feb 2, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

It may be becoming more diverse but it's owned by China. You better study Mandarin and I don't mean oranges. Smiley Wink

I love spanish girls so spanish would be my choice. They are so **bleep** good looking

Message 4 of 20 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Feb 2, 2013

THEGREENSKEEPER wrote:

It's not a must have skill imo but it would be nice to be able to go to a foreign country and speak the language. A friend of mine is fluent in Spanish, German, Italian, and French. They were just able to pick that stuff up really quick obviously.

IMO we shouldn't have to cater to foriegners in the US because we speak English here. If the situation was reversed and Americans were settling in other countries, wouldn't we be expected to learn those languages?

No. English is a universal language and they cater to Americans in foreign countries worldwide.

Message 5 of 20 (133 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Feb 2, 2013

THEGREENSKEEPER wrote:

That's how I feel when people come to these forums posting in another language. It's rude to expect us to translate. If we were to post in another country's forum we'd be perceived as arrogant, stupid Americans if we insisted in posting in English. I think you're directed here if you just type "playstation.com" in the browser so I give them the link to the country selector but I've had people get mad and berate me because it's so easy to use Google Translate. It is easy. That's why they should use it not me. I'm using the native language.

Sorry if you feel I derailed your thread. My mini-rant seemed relevant to the conversation.

Message 6 of 20 (130 Views)
Last Guardian
9184 posts

Feb 2, 2013

ne1atall wrote:

THEGREENSKEEPER wrote:

That's how I feel when people come to these forums posting in another language. It's rude to expect us to translate. If we were to post in another country's forum we'd be perceived as arrogant, stupid Americans if we insisted in posting in English. I think you're directed here if you just type "playstation.com" in the browser so I give them the link to the country selector but I've had people get mad and berate me because it's so easy to use Google Translate. It is easy. That's why they should use it not me. I'm using the native language.

Sorry if you feel I derailed your thread. My mini-rant seemed relevant to the conversation.

Mitä sä selität? Vad menar du?

Nahh just kidding I know what you mean. It irritates me too. Smiley Wink

On-topic. Is there an easiest language to speak? You could say English but is it really?

Favorite language? Finnish of course. It's the most beautiful language in the world. I'm not being biased or anything. Smiley Wink English is good language for poems or song lyrics. I also like how Italian and Latin sounds. And German sung by Rammstein. Trilled R sounds beautiful. Smiley Happy

id 69 signature

"How do you prove that you exist...? Maybe we don't exist..."

Message 7 of 20 (120 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55190 posts

Feb 2, 2013

Learn Chinese, they own our debt and are 3x as populated as we are plus they have a HUGE industrial complex that could easily be turned into a military industrial complex.

If you ever go to China and get called a gweilo you'll know you found a chinese racist Smiley Tongue

Message 8 of 20 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3995 posts

Feb 2, 2013

If I was you I would pick learning Spanish since it's becoming more useful in America. 

Message 9 of 20 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

Feb 2, 2013
American Sign Language is easy to learn.

YB

Message 10 of 20 (95 Views)
0 Likes