Highlighted
Oct 07 2012
By: FrescanteBozak Wastelander 759 posts

Sony suing Bridgestone over Kevin Butler?

12 replies 228 views Edited Oct 7, 2012

http://gamingeverything.com/30505/sony-suing-bridgestone-over-kevin-butlers-wii-related-commercial/

Things are getting really weird with Bridgestone’s recent Wii-related commercial.

It all started when Kevin Butler was spotted in the company’s “Game On” promotion featuring the Wii. It didn’t take long for an updated TV spot to be released, this time featuring a new actor – and not Kevin Butler.

The latest twist in this saga is that Sony appears to be suing Bridgestone and Wildcat Creek, Inc. for the commercial. Ironically enough, it seems Bridgestone hired the Wildcat advertising company for the promo, and Kevin Butler – otherwise known as Jerry Lambert – is its president.

Sony filed against the two parties around a month ago. Documents reveal that the case is centered around trademark infringement. We don’t have the exact details on the situation yet, but one would think that Sony wasn’t happy that Lambert was in the commercial.

Photobucket
Message 1 of 13 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2698 posts

Re: Sony suing Bridgestone over Kevin Butler?

Oct 7, 2012

LOL Sony's answer to all of their problems... Suing LOL.  I bet all of the Kevin Butler D riders are freaking out.  It was probably his idea to put on a fake mustache hoping no one recognized him LOL.  The actor should be the one getting sued not Brigdestone.

Juli photo juli6.gif
Message 2 of 13 (224 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
9460 posts

Oct 7, 2012

That lawsuit sounds crazy to me. Does Sony think they own the actor Jerry Lambert that plays the character Kevin Butler? I guess that Sony must have done something bad to Jerry Lambert. Why else would he give "The Finger" to Sony by playing a Wii in a commercial. He had to know that Sony would not be pleased. I wonder if Christina Lee or Veronica Belmont did a comercial for a product other than PS3, would Sony try to sue them also.

the-chicken-returns.png

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 3 of 13 (209 Views)
Wastelander
631 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 7, 2012

Ok let me tell you is this on news ?. Because how we can tell if he getting sued by Sony. Blogs they sometimes tell lies we need a link of a video telling this person getting sued. And they sue him for showing a video game that based with car tires ?. Don't you think is a kind of embarrassing showing a [Wii] on commercial ?. It's a kind of offensive but it a commercial about tires Kevin not games. It kind of shocking let me find [FeedBacks] of him getting sued. However, got some [feed backs] it say he a traitor of Sony and moved on to Wii because he not a Wii leader he a Something BLAH BLAH from sony. Maybe he trying to help out or trying to betray Sony like stealth mode as Navy Seals. And BLAH BLAH BLAH BLAH be on the court house to return us if he guilty or innocent. I don't think this is true he being a traitor of Sony. We all love kevin butler why would he do that ?.

Message 4 of 13 (203 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Oct 7, 2012
What's funny is he's already been replaced on those commercials.
Photobucket
Message 5 of 13 (189 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Oct 8, 2012

bronxsushi wrote:

That lawsuit sounds crazy to me. Does Sony think they own the actor Jerry Lambert that plays the character Kevin Butler? I guess that Sony must have done something bad to Jerry Lambert. Why else would he give "The Finger" to Sony by playing a Wii in a commercial. He had to know that Sony would not be pleased. I wonder if Christina Lee or Veronica Belmont did a comercial for a product other than PS3, would Sony try to sue them also.

It's no crazier than the WWF suing WCW over Scott Hall and Kevin Nash back in the mid 90's over their characters in WCW, which WWF felt were like their WWF characters.

Message 6 of 13 (165 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40006 posts

Oct 8, 2012

I can only assume that his contract stated somewhere that he could not take on other work for a set period of time, or not have anything to do with another gaming console for a set period of time!

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri From 8am - 8pm PST
Message 7 of 13 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Oct 9, 2012
I wonder why they went away from the Kevin Butler commercials. Seemed like they were pretty successful. Don't see much other advertising coming from Sony these days.
Photobucket
Message 8 of 13 (143 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Oct 9, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

I can only assume that his contract stated somewhere that he could not take on other work for a set period of time, or not have anything to do with another gaming console for a set period of time!

IMO this whole incident is a bit of a grey area. Apparently Sony has dropped using this actor as an active spokesman since late last year, and since then he picked up doing a commercial for Bridgestone. This actor was in a another Bridgestone commercial.

It just so happens that Bridgestone was doing a commercial promotion with Nintendo giving away free Wiis, since the advertisement wasn't really promoting the Wii, I think it was a grey area. I'm sure that actor was a little concerned at the time, but also probably didn't feel it was an issue.

I certainly think it is overkill for Sony to say that this commercial was damaging to the Sony brand, when Sony hasn't used Kevin Butler actively for nearly a year... 

Message 9 of 13 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9691 posts

Oct 9, 2012
This is one of the dumbest lawsuits in recent memory and I'm ashamed of SONY for doing this. The guy is an actor; he needs to keep working. In no way was Jerry Lambert portraying Kevin Butler in the Bridgestone commercials other than sharing the same face, and that's difficult for an actor to change.
Message 10 of 13 (124 Views)
0 Likes