Jan 21 2013
By: spyder_21 Gaming Beast 2146 posts

Sony please wait on the PS4

12 replies 161 views Edited Jan 21, 2013

I know a lot of you are waiting for the PS4 to be announced, but i hope Sony holds off a few years.  Wait and see what new tech comes out (no glasses 3D tvs will be coming out, not that im a big 3D fan).

Most important the PS3 in my opinion is still solid. We still use Bluray, so no new disc media format.  PsVita just came out, dont want them to turn away on that for the PS4.  Wait and see what Micro$oft new Xbox 720 is like, then squash them after the console is released.

To be honest what more could we get besides and new interface \ apps \  and graphics.  I think just hold off a few years then make the jump.

But this is just my opinion.

I made this, want one for yourself? PM me
Message 1 of 13 (161 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Re: Sony please wait on the PS4

[ Edited ]
Jan 21, 2013

I don't think it's wise to let Microsoft get the jump again, I mean look what happened last gen, their timing was one of the major factors that lost them that massive lead they had from the previous gen, along with the price and lack of online features.

It's an interesting idea, and I could see devs still developing for the PS3 since it's on the same level as Wii U in terms of power, but it's definitely risky and I don't think Sony are in the position to take risks.

Message 2 of 13 (155 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42173 posts

Jan 22, 2013
A few years? This gen has gone on long enough for most people as it is (2005-2012/2013 before the next consoles are released/announced). And with rumors of the specs already leaking and both makers teasing the reveals for their next consoles, it's kind of late. Neither one will want the other to get the leg up of a year+ and I'm sure Sony will want to get the PS4 out for the Japanese support so Nintendo doesn't heavily lock it down (although the PS3 could also probably hold it down alongside the Wii-U kind of the like the PSP is still doing for the handheld side of things alongside the Vita).

PS3 isn't going away. 3rd parties will still probably pump out games for it if they still see it viable alongside some Wii-U ports (kind of like how PS2 was still getting down/rough ports of 360 games during the early years but without the huge gap). So Sony could actually benefit with PS3 versions on par with the Wii-U for the current install base/people getting in late and 'up ported' versions of games on PS4 (same for MS).

Message 3 of 13 (144 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1873 posts

Jan 22, 2013

If they make the console price anywhere between $300-350, I will buy on launch I would even buy it more if they had a new uncharted 4 game as well Smiley Happy

PSN: Deadly_Rabbit123
XBL: BruteForce94

Proud Owner of Xbox One and PS4
Message 4 of 13 (129 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
37283 posts

Jan 22, 2013

SmokexFFx wrote:

I don't think it's wise to let Microsoft get the jump again, I mean look what happened last gen, their timing was one of the major factors that lost them that massive lead they had from the previous gen, along with the price and lack of online features.

It's an interesting idea, and I could see devs still developing for the PS3 since it's on the same level as Wii U in terms of power, but it's definitely risky and I don't think Sony are in the position to take risks.

This isn't what happened.  MSoft was fighting the console war (XBox 360 vs. PS3).  Sony was fighting the format war (BluRay vs. HD-DVD).  Sony won the format war to the detriment of the console.

From what I understand the PS4 will be another non-console war.  Sony is itching to install a new feature that will tie a game to one and only one console, meaning no more game sharing.  Nor will you be able to rent games with Gamefly.  Think about it.  It also means you won't be able to buy/sell/trade used games because "it hurts the game developers".  Waaaah.

I'll tell you what will hurt the game developers.  It's when consumers won't take a chance on an iffy game, knowing full well that they are stuck with it.  Would you buy a new Mercedes Benz, knowing you would be legally prevented from ever selling it to another person?  Of course not.  Car companies are smarter than this.

In a misguided effort to boost the profit per game, Sony will make it nearly impossible to attract customers willing to buy a PS4.  A noob mistake like this could possibly bankrupt the company.

And why are they picking this fight anyway?  They are fighting some very powerful market forces.  It's like the Titanic purposely ramming the iceberg to force that stupid block of ice out of the way and teach it who's the boss.

I cannot possibly describe in words strong enough to convey just how stupid and self-destructive it will be for Sony to register games to a single gaming console.

If this hits sales as hard as I expect it will, Sony will be slaughtered going up against any other console, including a re-release of the Sega Saturn.  It will be brutal.  They would of course try to rush some new PS4's to market without the noob chip, and may even get them out there within 3-6 months.  But by then the damage will have been done.  There will be no pre-orders.  The initial game sales (translation: most profitable and important) will evaporate.  Sony will experience an irreversible bloodbath, as will all the gaming companies foolish enough to hook their wagons up to Sony.  With no game sales, these companies could also be forced into bankruptcy, or at least be forced to lay off most of their staff.

In the end, the culprit will be as plain as day.  Sony tried to use its muscle to beat the customers into submission and force them to buy overpriced games that will only work on one console.  This will be the proximate cause of so many gaming companies and possibly Sony itself going belly-up.  For decades, managers in training will use Sony as an object lesson of how not to market a product.  Sony will be up there with other corporate greats such as K-Mart, Circuit City, Phar-Mor, and the Ajax Buggy Whip Company.

Wanna destroy a major corporation?  Just do the exact same thing Sony did back in 2013 with the PS4.  Any questions, class?

Message 5 of 13 (124 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

Jan 22, 2013

i doubt it will hit the market in the next year and probably not even in 2014. Remember in 2005 sony revealed PS3 after it being talked about for years, and it didn't hit market until 2006-2007. It has lasted a while but they still continue to come out with limited edition Ps3's and expanded Harddrive versions. I don't see Sony releasing several hunred million dollars worth of "outdated" consoles just to push a new one out next year. "their not apple" So i'll go ahead and bet good money we wont see the PS4 for a few years

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 6 of 13 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3428 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Here is the most likely scenario:

PS4/Whatever is unveiled at E3 (we'll say this E3 for kicks)

PS4 doesn't have a price announced; nor final build/specs.

PS4 in a final build and price is shown at the next E3 (so now E3 2014)

PS4 releases holiday season of 2014 for $399

The PS3/all consoles, are dated.  Do you use a PC from 2005?  

Just because a new console is released, it doesn't mean the PS3 will cease to exist or have any support.

Message 7 of 13 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42173 posts

Jan 22, 2013

wegawhale wrote:

Here is the most likely scenario:

PS4/Whatever is unveiled at E3 (we'll say this E3 for kicks)

PS4 doesn't have a price announced; nor final build/specs.

PS4 in a final build and price is shown at the next E3 (so now E3 2014)

PS4 releases holiday season of 2014 for $399

The PS3/all consoles, are dated.  Do you use a PC from 2005?  

Just because a new console is released, it doesn't mean the PS3 will cease to exist or have any support.

They could use E3 for the price.  GDC is in March which could be a time to reveal it or they can pull a 'Vita' and announce the PS4 at it's own event pre-E3 and show off some 1st party stuff, a peek at the UI/new PSN and maybe some 3rd parties that want to throw their support out there early on.  E3 rolls around, we get more 1st/3rd party reveals, a price and they can say they're ready in 1 or 2 regions before the end of the year and the remaining regions early 2014.  Late scenario is they can do a delayed WW launch in Spring 2014 using TGS2013 to reveal the JP price (to give NA/EU a ballpark) and showcase Japanese support at the same time for the launch window early next year.

There really is a lot of leg room for them to reveal this year and get info out.

Message 8 of 13 (100 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Monster Hunter
37 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

DrGadget wrote:

SmokexFFx wrote:

This isn't what happened.  MSoft was fighting the console war (XBox 360 vs. PS3).  Sony was fighting the format war (BluRay vs. HD-DVD).  Sony won the format war to the detriment of the console.

That is what happened, all you have to do is look back to the start of last gen to see what I said is exactly what happened.

1) 360 had a year head start on the PS3

2) PS3 launched at the ridiculous price of $599

3) The PS3 lacked a lot of online features the 360 had, which was horrible for Sony because last gen was the birth of online gaming for consoles

4) As a result of those 3 factors, Sony lost the massive lead it had against Microsoft from the previous gen (PS2/Xbox)

The format war just like; timing, pricing, and online features, was one of the many factors to determine the success of the console, and the fact that Blu-Ray won over HD-DVD was the exact opposite of a detriment to the console.

DrGadget wrote:

From what I understand the PS4 will be another non-console war.  Sony is itching to install a new feature that will tie a game to one and only one console, meaning no more game sharing.  Nor will you be able to rent games with Gamefly.  Think about it.  It also means you won't be able to buy/sell/trade used games because "it hurts the game developers".  Waaaah.

I'll tell you what will hurt the game developers.  It's when consumers won't take a chance on an iffy game, knowing full well that they are stuck with it.  Would you buy a new Mercedes Benz, knowing you would be legally prevented from ever selling it to another person?  Of course not.  Car companies are smarter than this.

In a misguided effort to boost the profit per game, Sony will make it nearly impossible to attract customers willing to buy a PS4.  A noob mistake like this could possibly bankrupt the company.

And why are they picking this fight anyway?  They are fighting some very powerful market forces.  It's like the Titanic purposely ramming the iceberg to force that stupid block of ice out of the way and teach it who's the boss.

I cannot possibly describe in words strong enough to convey just how stupid and self-destructive it will be for Sony to register games to a single gaming console.

If this hits sales as hard as I expect it will, Sony will be slaughtered going up against any other console, including a re-release of the Sega Saturn.  It will be brutal.  They would of course try to rush some new PS4's to market without the noob chip, and may even get them out there within 3-6 months.  But by then the damage will have been done.  There will be no pre-orders.  The initial game sales (translation: most profitable and important) will evaporate.  Sony will experience an irreversible bloodbath, as will all the gaming companies foolish enough to hook their wagons up to Sony.  With no game sales, these companies could also be forced into bankruptcy, or at least be forced to lay off most of their staff.

In the end, the culprit will be as plain as day.  Sony tried to use its muscle to beat the customers into submission and force them to buy overpriced games that will only work on one console.  This will be the proximate cause of so many gaming companies and possibly Sony itself going belly-up.  For decades, managers in training will use Sony as an object lesson of how not to market a product.  Sony will be up there with other corporate greats such as K-Mart, Circuit City, Phar-Mor, and the Ajax Buggy Whip Company.

Wanna destroy a major corporation?  Just do the exact same thing Sony did back in 2013 with the PS4.  Any questions, class?

As for Sony and their latest used games patent for the PS4, I agree with you for the most part, it being unfair, and overall a detriment to the PS4, especialy if Microsoft doesn't follow suit. However I don't think it will be quite as bad as you're estimating, with majority of the users not even caring, as they do now with; XBL gold, online passes, recieving the same sports game every year from EA.

Message 9 of 13 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
189 posts

Jan 22, 2013

i just saw this on ign guys, they got a qoute from Mr. Hirai.

""Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?"

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/21/ps4-sony-will-let-microsoft-make-first-move

Message 10 of 13 (92 Views)
0 Likes