Re: Sony losing mad loot on each PS3

Nov 16, 2006

NavS. wrote:

montyburns74 wrote:

NavS. wrote:

CommonerChaos wrote:

montyburns74 wrote:

SoldierofGondor wrote:
why would they sell a product if they lose money off of it? there would be no point.  they wouldnt sell it if it lost money. some companies wont sell things if they dont make enough of a profit....this doesnt make sense.....eh

To quote a show I watched last night, "they give you the razor to sell you the blades".  Like someone has already stated they make that money back with licensing fees, games, and accesories.  Also the cost of manufacturing the console will go down in the future so eventually it will make money too.  They think about the long term not immediate results.

That's what I've been trying to tell em. It's complicated. Also, I like that saying. It's true.  

I've accepted the fact that they make it up in game/acsessory sales, but how much do they have to sell to even break even? It's unrealistic to take more than half....

Well think of it this way,  the PS2 sold almost 110 million consoles.  If everyone buys just 1 game and sony gets $10 of that games $50 pricetag, then Sony just made 1.11 Billion dollars.   Now lets say everone also bought a controller and memory card too.  And Sony makes $10 for each of those, theres another 2.22 Billion dollars.   Lets say out of all those consoles sold they lost $750 Million dollars,  they still make a profit of 2.58 Billion dollars.

Thanks, geez! but who can wait 5 years to see a 4-5 billion profit......... on the other hand....... yeah....., but you also have to add in the development costs to make up the PS3s....

Let the accountants worry about all that.   How much do you think they have made off of these:

Sony Computer Entertainment owned franchises:

Message 41 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
16138 posts

Nov 17, 2006

montyburns74 wrote:

NavS. wrote:

montyburns74 wrote:

NavS. wrote:

CommonerChaos wrote:

montyburns74 wrote:

SoldierofGondor wrote:
why would they sell a product if they lose money off of it? there would be no point.  they wouldnt sell it if it lost money. some companies wont sell things if they dont make enough of a profit....this doesnt make sense.....eh

To quote a show I watched last night, "they give you the razor to sell you the blades".  Like someone has already stated they make that money back with licensing fees, games, and accesories.  Also the cost of manufacturing the console will go down in the future so eventually it will make money too.  They think about the long term not immediate results.

That's what I've been trying to tell em. It's complicated. Also, I like that saying. It's true.  

I've accepted the fact that they make it up in game/acsessory sales, but how much do they have to sell to even break even? It's unrealistic to take more than half....

Well think of it this way,  the PS2 sold almost 110 million consoles.  If everyone buys just 1 game and sony gets $10 of that games $50 pricetag, then Sony just made 1.11 Billion dollars.   Now lets say everone also bought a controller and memory card too.  And Sony makes $10 for each of those, theres another 2.22 Billion dollars.   Lets say out of all those consoles sold they lost $750 Million dollars,  they still make a profit of 2.58 Billion dollars.

Thanks, geez! but who can wait 5 years to see a 4-5 billion profit......... on the other hand....... yeah....., but you also have to add in the development costs to make up the PS3s....

Let the accountants worry about all that.   How much do you think they have made off of these:

Sony Computer Entertainment owned franchises:

You got 62 there let's say they sell a million each..... and they make about half..... 25$ soo that's 1.55 billion..... yeah it's okay .
Message 42 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4565 posts

Nov 17, 2006

CommonerChaos wrote:
And just think. The same ppl that are buying those consoles, are the same ppl that are turning around, and selling them on ebay for $1,000 of dollars. Wow. Ppl care more about making money, than gaming...

i call demand and supplie...and crazy people /heh

what a loss of $$.../swt
~
Message 43 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3847 posts

Nov 17, 2006

PSY.GUY.3 wrote:

CommonerChaos wrote:
And just think. The same ppl that are buying those consoles, are the same ppl that are turning around, and selling them on ebay for $1,000 of dollars. Wow. Ppl care more about making money, than gaming...

i call demand and supplie...and crazy people /heh

what a loss of $$.../swt

huh/
I Accept All Friend Requests. *Xbox Live Guru*
Message 44 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6345 posts

Nov 17, 2006
sony may lose some cash with the ps3....the real $$$ are the games!!! $60+tax thats all i have to say
Add me, PSN xRobby
Photobucket
War is where the young and stupid are tricked by the old and bitter to kill each other.'' - Niko Bellic
Message 45 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
32681 posts

Nov 17, 2006

SoldierofGondor wrote:

Message Edited by SoldierofGondor on 11-16-2006 02:57 PM

Message Edited by SoldierofGondor on 11-16-2006 02:58 PM

Microsoft is doing the same thing with the 360.  They hope to make a profit on other things.

Message 46 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3169 posts

Nov 17, 2006
Poor Sony.
You do know that you are reading my signature right?
Message 47 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3169 posts

Nov 17, 2006

Blue Wild Angel wrote:

CommonerChaos wrote:

I know.  Personally I don't want a PS3 but those people who are standing in line just to make money on the console instead of playing it really piss me off.  There are people who want a PS3 to play it and a spot they could have is being taken up but someone who cares more about money,

Man ppl should sit back and think...........................

BTW i dont want a PS3.
You do know that you are reading my signature right?
Message 48 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5557 posts

Nov 17, 2006
And they hope to earn it back with game sales, and the "hopefull" take-off of BluRay.

Message 49 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8935 posts

Nov 17, 2006
Probably not right away....but Sony should eventually make a profit with all the games and accessories.
Message 50 of 52 (1 View)
0 Likes