Highlighted
Dec 14 2012
By: CerberusXIII First Son 2 posts

Sony Sponsored Emulation Software???

3 replies 112 views Edited Dec 14, 2012

Hey I'm a longtime playstation gamer, In the days of the playstation 1 and ps2 sony dominated console gaming, and there are many old playstation games that i dearly miss playing (Digimon world 2+3, FF7, FF8, CTR, Crash Bandicoot 2) but i no longer own them and the games as well as the console are increasingly difficult to come by as they are no longer manufactured.

The main point of this topic is that me, and many other gamers that i know, have expressed interest in seeing fully legal and 100% working sony developed or approved emulation software for PC, as well as digital downloads for PS1 games, now i am perfectly aware of digital HD downloads for PS3 and such but to be honest, these HD downloads include absolutely none of the classic PS1 games that made me love the old systems.

To be honest it suprises me that this is not in the works as the people who use emulators are essentially forced to Pirate ISO's of old games because the availiablitiy of these games is so limited. Yet the companies who make these games want all of these downloads shut down without giving gamers access to their favourite games. Even though people are willing to pay for digital copies of these games they can't and seeing as digital copies of games require no disc, casing, or physical distribution. It would be fairly cheap (keep in mind i'm not 100% sure how the digital game distribution market works).

Anyways in essence I don't care what happens as long as i can legally play any PS1 games without worrying or feeling guilty about stealing from sony.

Message 1 of 4 (112 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Re: Sony Sponsored Emulation Software???

Dec 15, 2012

At least some of the games you mentioned (FF7 & 8) are available in their original (non-HD) format from the PSN Store. I know you're looking specifically for the PC but other than non-official emulators I'm not aware of any official means of playing most PS1 & PS2 games on the PC. 

Part of the issue is that Sony doesn't have any control over IPs they don't own. All of the games you mentioned are owned by other companies. 

Message 2 of 4 (97 Views)
Wastelander
838 posts

Dec 16, 2012

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

At least some of the games you mentioned (FF7 & 8) are available in their original (non-HD) format from the PSN Store.

Not entirely true. If they were available in their original format you'd be getting them on discs(physical copies) and not digital.

Back to the topic. Games from older generations are not that hard to find(sure games that are rare are hard to find, hence the term RARE), the one major factor that i see when trying to find to buy older games is the price. Some people be it ebay, amazon or a locally owned game shop raise the price on huge popular games from the past. I've seen copies of Super Mario 64 used go for 40 bucks or so without a Manual or the  box, just the Cartridge.  Some people will sell games in great condition with manuals and artwork and their original cases for 20-30 bucks or so for PS1 or other games from that era.  One store in my area was selling a greatest hits version of FFVII for 60 bucks, and the discs were scratched not minor ones there were some heavy scratches.  Usually flea markets are one of the best options, but then again you might have to go through a whole bunch of NHL 97 bins to find a good or a great game.

Message 3 of 4 (73 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Dec 19, 2012

bronxz32 wrote:

Jag_Stilvecchio wrote:

At least some of the games you mentioned (FF7 & 8) are available in their original (non-HD) format from the PSN Store.

Not entirely true. If they were available in their original format you'd be getting them on discs(physical copies) and not digital.

Back to the topic. Games from older generations are not that hard to find(sure games that are rare are hard to find, hence the term RARE), the one major factor that i see when trying to find to buy older games is the price. Some people be it ebay, amazon or a locally owned game shop raise the price on huge popular games from the past. I've seen copies of Super Mario 64 used go for 40 bucks or so without a Manual or the  box, just the Cartridge.  Some people will sell games in great condition with manuals and artwork and their original cases for 20-30 bucks or so for PS1 or other games from that era.  One store in my area was selling a greatest hits version of FFVII for 60 bucks, and the discs were scratched not minor ones there were some heavy scratches.  Usually flea markets are one of the best options, but then again you might have to go through a whole bunch of NHL 97 bins to find a good or a great game.

Obviously they're not on disc. The original format I'm referring to is an the game itself - meaning the games aren't retouched, edited or otherwise tampered with. They're presented in their original presentation as released on the PS1... minus the disc (for all you literal types out there). 

Message 4 of 4 (59 Views)
0 Likes