Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Jan 17 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 205 posts

Sony, Nintendo, Sega, and Rare Ltd.

[ Edited ]
10 replies 132 views Edited Jan 17, 2013

There is an entire dead market - the next-gen one which Nintendo was using for Nintendo 64, including Rare, and which Sega was using for Dreamcast.  It was taken up by Sony.  However - Rare is not making games for Sony, neither is Nintendo.  Sega has made only 2 exclusives for Playstation 3: Yakuza and Valkryie Chronicles.  Thus - that entire market is not active - although the potential for it to activate exists.

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 11 (132 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Re: Sony, Nintendo, Sega, and Rare Ltd.

Jan 17, 2013
...What is this thread about exactly?

Now Playing: Final Fantasy X HD

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 11 (127 Views)
Lombax Warrior
205 posts

Jan 17, 2013

You're right, I didn't say what it was about in the title and that's a little strange - but there's no space to fit it.  It's in the description though. 

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 11 (123 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 17, 2013
Since Rare is owned by Microsoft, they aren't going to make PlayStation games.

Nintendo is still doing well with what they are doing, they won't be making PlayStation games either.

The few games that Sega makes themselves these days will always come to the PlayStation platform, but to maximize profits it is prudent to make games for other platforms too...
Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 11 (113 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
Since Rare is owned by Microsoft, they aren't going to make PlayStation games.

Nintendo is still doing well with what they are doing, they won't be making PlayStation games either.

The few games that Sega makes themselves these days will always come to the PlayStation platform, but to maximize profits it is prudent to make games for other platforms too...

I know one of the devs on Valkyria Chronicles has said they'd more than likely keep the series PS oriented and as much has been said for Yakuza as well.  I think it would be best if Sony entered into a co-publishing deal with SEGA and the IPs to keep them going forward but that's just my opinion and also to secure them from being 'poached' by the competition going forward (with a new gen starting, I expect the whole 3rd party [timed] exclusive game to come into play as the Big 3 try to take known IPs and put them squarely in their corner the first few years so they can entice the fanbase over to them from the start).  It'd give SEGA and the dev teams a little more leg room (due to SEGA's own troubles and would probably give the teams better budgets and marketing) and some 1st party tech to use.

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 11 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9236 posts

Jan 21, 2013

@Dolphin. The thing is though, while Microsoft does own Rare, they to not own their talent. Now not only has Microsoft switched their studio manager twice now but all the founders left. Rare is nothing more than a name now and that's it. Just a bunch if scab employees making Kinect games.

Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 11 (84 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 21, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:

@Dolphin. The thing is though, while Microsoft does own Rare, they to not own their talent. Now not only has Microsoft switched their studio manager twice now but all the founders left. Rare is nothing more than a name now and that's it. Just a bunch if scab employees making Kinect games.

I agree 100%, the OP doesn't seem to realize this and seems to believe Rare is still relevant...

Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 11 (73 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
41020 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Murderstyle75 wrote:

I kind of forget about this too.  Didn't most of the talent post-PD, pre-MS purchase leave to form Free Radical (now Crytek UK)?  So MS really just bought the branding (founders left later).  Wonder what MS will do next gen with them (a new Kameo, new Perfect Dark, new Banjo, etc.?).

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 11 (68 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9236 posts

Jan 22, 2013

Here is part of a pretty entertaining piece with Rares founders Tim & Chris Stamper  just last year.

http://www.p4rgaming.com/?p=43

Play4Real: How was your time at Microsoft?

Tim: Dreadful. Utterly dreadful.

Chris: Since most of the original staff had left, the remaining team tried to pull together like the old days.

Tim: It did not work.

Chris: Microsoft did not do much to help us either. They thought Conker’s Bad Fur Day would go well with the Xbox crowd.

Tim: Then they had us censor the bloody songs! You’re missing the point if you censor the songs!

Chris: The one original title we focused on was Viva Piñata. It was originally going to be a little darker than what was produced.

Tim: They really wanted to compete with Nintendo on the children demographic. And the game was received fairly well I recall.

Chris: I can’t seem to recall the game selling fairly well though.

Play4Real: It is near this point in time you left Rare, correct?

Chris: Yes, we had been working on the Kinect technology for a while and we honestly weren’t feeling it.

Tim: We had felt that it would be great as a gimmick but never for long-term gaming. And now you see Rare and, well, you get the picture.

Play4Real: Have you tried any of Rare’s new games?

Tim: We don’t even have a Kinect to play it with.

Play4Real: If you take a look at your site, it proudly says “Kinect Sports: Season Two Creators”.

Chris: Ha ha. Oh look, Minecraft skins. That is surely the greatest achievement Rare has accomplished.

Tim: Bloody hell.

Play4Real: We have some quick reader questions we would like to ask before we let you guys go.

Chris: Go for it.

Play4Real: Do you still speak with Grant Kirkhope?

Tim: We talked to him fairly recently and found out he was out looking for a job. We tried to offer him a job as our butler but he declined.

Grant, if you’re reading this, the offer still stands!

Play4Real: How do you feel about Retro Studios?

Chris: I played Donkey Kong Country Returns. They could have used Grant’s help.

Tim: Other than that, I felt it would be something Rare would be proud of.

Play4Real: What do you hope that Rare will do in the future?

Chris: Not exist.

Play4Real: Ha ha! Thank you for your time.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 11 (64 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1964 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 22, 2013

^ **bleep**, that is sad lol. 

Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 11 (59 Views)
0 Likes