Dec 20 2006
By: InaneBasura~ Fender Bender 4422 posts

Sony KDL-40V2500 vs Sony KDS-55A2000

8 replies 20 views Edited Dec 20, 2006
I'd like to hear some input that may sway me in some sort of direction. If that doesn't work I guess I'm gonna have to flick a coin. Or buy both and live in their cardboard boxes for the rest of my life.

I'll be sitting 9-10 feet away, most likely on my ass. I'll be using the following, with TV being of least importance:
  •  PC (normal use, movies, games)
  •  Games (PC, PS2, Xbox 360, PS3)
  •  Movies (DVD, blu-ray)
  •  TV (SD, HD is not yet available here, for free anyway)
The A2000 might have problems with what I've decided to call the Hulk effect. Something or other makes certain shadowy areas (such as faces and beard stubble) appear with a green tinge.

Mad and green.

Other problems with this set includes the size and the need for lamp replacement after a year or two. I've also heard stories that it takes a while to start up and that there might be a slight green blob issue until it has been warmed up, which is supposed to take 30 minutes or so. Another thing that may or may not be of importance is the vertical viewing angle, not supposed to be great. And obviously SD will probably have a tendancy to look like utter balls of an otter at the distance I'll be sitting. Don't care much for SDTV, but DVD's are gonna have to look ok, from a distance of 10 feet. The size of the screen might be a bad thing in a way.

The V2500 is supposed to have some real issues with clouding, or mura as the experts call it.

Those aren't Batman searchlights.

While this isn't the V2500, it's an example of what it (clouding) might look like. And it's certainly not pretty. Other than that the problem isn't really that the TV is bad, it's that it's not as good as the A2000 in terms of image quality. 2.5ms response time probably helps too. And considering the A2000 isn't that much more, a V2500 kinda seems like a bad choice, even if I don't get clouding issues. 1080p won't do much good on a 40" screen either. Which is an ok size for 10 feet right?
Gears of War 2 - 8.5
LittleBigPlanet - 9.0
Mirror's Edge - 8.5
Saints Row 2 - 8.5
Far Cry 2 - 7.0
Fallout 3 - 9.0
Fable II - 9.0
FIFA 09 - 8.5
do not: Baja - 5.5
Message 1 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5100 posts

Re: Sony KDL-40V2500 vs Sony KDS-55A2000

Dec 20, 2006
Ok you are mixing up the SXRD with last years XBR with the side speakers.

The SXRD doesnt have the green blob issue.
I own the 50" SXRD 1080p HDTV and its a thing of beauty.  No green tinge on stubble or other shaded areas at all.  Only perfect PQ.
I would HIGHLY reccomend this TV, as I have not had any problems with it at all.
The lamp you can find on Ebay for $150 and if you by a service plan from Sony or your retailer, they replace the bulb as part of the plan.  Doesnt cost anything more.
Also the viewing angle is great, I watch the TV from my kitchen which is at a 30 degree angle from where it stands in my living room.

Its really a wonderful TV, I just wish there was one more HDMI port.  Only 2.  At least it has 2 component inputs too.
Message 2 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9607 posts

Dec 20, 2006
that is one awful clouding.. yikes!
Message 3 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
9607 posts

Dec 20, 2006

sev1512 wrote:

I own the 50" SXRD 1080p HDTV and its a thing of beauty.  No green tinge on stubble or other shaded areas at all.  Only perfect PQ.
I would HIGHLY reccomend this TV, as I have not had any problems with it at all.
The lamp you can find on Ebay for $150 and if you by a service plan from Sony or your retailer, they replace the bulb as part of the plan.  Doesnt cost anything more.
Also the viewing angle is great, I watch the TV from my kitchen which is at a 30 degree angle from where it stands in my living room.

Its really a wonderful TV, I just wish there was one more HDMI port.  Only 2.  At least it has 2 component inputs too.

does it have glare? i might have to put that tv across from window
Message 4 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4422 posts

Dec 20, 2006

sev1512 wrote:

IIRC a couple of people at the AVS forum said it exhibited a greenish tint which disappeared as the TV got warmer. Not a green blob though, sorry about that.

Have you tried watching DVD's and what's your distance from the TV?
Gears of War 2 - 8.5
LittleBigPlanet - 9.0
Mirror's Edge - 8.5
Saints Row 2 - 8.5
Far Cry 2 - 7.0
Fallout 3 - 9.0
Fable II - 9.0
FIFA 09 - 8.5
Message 5 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5100 posts

Dec 20, 2006
I hate that the mods move threads.  Its stupid.
Now if you had only posted in the title Which TV for the PS3? Would they have allowed that to remain in the PS3 forums?

Anyways.

There is glare off the TV when my blinds are up and its a bright day and its say 1:00pm.  However there isnt much a glare on it.

I havent noticed any greenish tint, during its warm up.  At first I thought this sucks the TV has to warm up?  But now I dont even notice. 
Its like a game having to load up, it sucks but its VERY WELL WORTH it once its done.

The first time you turn it on in the day or if its really really cold in your home it takes slightly longer to warm up maybe 20 seconds.  When it normally takes 10-15 seconds max to warm up.

Again this TV is wonderful.

But I re-read your orignal post and the SD quality on it is not that spectacular, it lacks the upscaler that the XBR2 and XBR3s have.
Its ol but on a screen that big you are going to get SOME pixelation of SD programming.
If you are willing to pay this much for a TV, get the 50" version and with the remaining money you would have spent, buy yourself HD cable, or Direct TV for a year.
Where do you live that there is no Over the air HD broadcasting??

Message 6 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4422 posts

Dec 20, 2006
PS3 General is meant for discussing PS3 hardware. But since everyone else and their mother spams that place with "Which HDTV?" etc. I do find it a bit odd how they moved this thread as well.

There are HD broadcasts, although not all that many stations. I'd need to get an HDTV box thingie for $300 or whatever and then pay a monthly fee of of $15. Since I don't watch TV all that much anyway it's simply not worth it. On demand (mah PC) > TV.

I just thought up another concern. I use my PC quite a lot, which coincidentally might affect the lamps life quite a bit. Is there an estimated average for how long the lamp will last?
Gears of War 2 - 8.5
LittleBigPlanet - 9.0
Mirror's Edge - 8.5
Saints Row 2 - 8.5
Far Cry 2 - 7.0
Fallout 3 - 9.0
Fable II - 9.0
FIFA 09 - 8.5
Message 7 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5100 posts

Dec 21, 2006
2 years with heavy use I have been told.  The lamps arent that much $$ and I would suggest buying a TV replacement plan, or an extended warranty that most retailers offer.
That covers lamps too.

Message 8 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Fender Bender
4422 posts

Dec 22, 2006
Oh dear god. One company is offering an extended warranty (4 years) and delivery for free. I don't know how long their warranty campaign will last, but the free delivery expires on christmas eve. So I'm gonna have to make a decision before then. I totally suck at making such things. Argh.

As far as image quality goes I'm convinced the A2000 has more to offer. The only two potential problems would be the possibility of the Hulk effect and crap SD performance. Gonna have to check if the thing will actually fit and work well in practice in my moderately small room. DVD's and movies from my PC at a probably not too optimal viewing distance and such.
Gears of War 2 - 8.5
LittleBigPlanet - 9.0
Mirror's Edge - 8.5
Saints Row 2 - 8.5
Far Cry 2 - 7.0
Fallout 3 - 9.0
Fable II - 9.0
FIFA 09 - 8.5
Message 9 of 9 (20 Views)
0 Likes