Search instead for 
Do you mean 
PlayStation MVP
31752 posts

Re: Sony Allegedly Files Patent to Block Used Games

Jan 4, 2013

bronxz32 wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What are you opinions on this?

Personaly, it doesnt effect me. I NEVER buy used games, all of mine are new. I hate buying used games. However the patent makes it seem like games will only work on 1 system, which will prevent us from bringing a game to a friends house which would suck.

However i can see how this would be a really huge issue with other people. Even big enough to prevent people from buying future PlayStation consoles.

Hopefully Sony never goes through with this.

This gen or for every console you ever bought/owned? This gen? i can see the truth to that but for others, it's highly unlikely. 

ive never bought a used game that i intended to play... ever.

ive bought a couple of used games but those were just for collection purposes.

Please use plain text.
Message 11 of 24 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
11053 posts

Jan 4, 2013

Wow... that will affect me, i rent games and ask my "friends" to lend me their games.

Please use plain text.
Message 12 of 24 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 5, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

Good for you.

Please use plain text.
Message 13 of 24 (125 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
31752 posts

Jan 5, 2013

bronxz32 wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Good for you.

thanks.

Please use plain text.
Message 14 of 24 (118 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
2297 posts

Jan 5, 2013
Well, PC already does this in one way or another. I'm not against it, as a former PC gamer. Most likely I will just wait for price-drops for the games I don't think are worth full price.
mvpbluesigTheJLC.jpg
Please use plain text.
Message 15 of 24 (114 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
13630 posts

Jan 5, 2013

TheJLC wrote:
Well, PC already does this in one way or another. I'm not against it, as a former PC gamer. Most likely I will just wait for price-drops for the games I don't think are worth full price.

There's another good point. This has been part of PC gaming (yeah, in a slightly different form, but whatever) for years; I remember having to enter CD keys a good 10, 15 years ago, and its only gotten stricter...eventually it will come to the consoles, eventually. Doesn't mean its a good or bad thing; we have to see what comes before getting too upset about it.

PC gaming isn't dead, after all...if this happens, it won't kill console gaming either, maybe just change it.

Please use plain text.
Message 16 of 24 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
226 posts

Jan 6, 2013
they have already done this with the vita. it will be ok. it will probably still have the option to delete data, so that someone else can have it.
Please use plain text.
Message 17 of 24 (98 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 6, 2013

PhoenixArcher128 wrote:

TheJLC wrote:

There's another good point. This has been part of PC gaming (yeah, in a slightly different form, but whatever) for years; I remember having to enter CD keys a good 10, 15 years ago, and its only gotten stricter...eventually it will come to the consoles, eventually. Doesn't mean its a good or bad thing; we have to see what comes before getting too upset about it.

PC gaming isn't dead, after all...if this happens, it won't kill console gaming either, maybe just change it.

And the Key generators came out and PC game piracy was/is high.  CD keys ended up being pretty much worthless.  Same for other types of Software such as Adobe products and MS Office.

Please use plain text.
Message 18 of 24 (94 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jan 6, 2013

TeAshimaDeVa wrote:

Doesn't bother me, but bye bye GameFly and provably Gamestop as well.

I agree with this beeing an issue with a lot of people as well. While it doesn't bother me, I don't like it. But hey, Sony loves money and they think it'll bring more profit if you have NO CHOICE but to pay $60 for a game...or however much the next gen will cost

If you're still paying $60 for new games you should be ashamed. Anyway I don't think Sony should do this, they are not in the positon money wise to be taking major chances like this that could negatively affect them. 

Please use plain text.
Message 19 of 24 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
188 posts

Jan 6, 2013

I don't like it either.  About half of the games I own are used, a lot of the others were bought at discounted prices.  I can't often afford much else.  Also I like to bring games to my friend's house, games like Mortal Kombat, which aren't much fun playing alone.  I do occasionally bring my system with me for my saved data but I don't like to, it makes me nervous about damaging it.

I would think there is some way to fix the used game problem without getting rid of the market all together.  There must be some way to get some of that profit back to the developers.  Even if the games are slightly more expensive because of it.  What about the people who buy games they don't like, or finish and have no intention of playing again?  That's a lot of games that will be wasted and simply become garbage.  I don't think they'd be very concerned with that, though.

Please use plain text.
Message 20 of 24 (83 Views)
0 Likes