Jan 03 2013
By: the_original_se VP of Gaming 34148 posts

Sony Allegedly Files Patent to Block Used Games

23 replies 340 views Edited Jan 3, 2013

Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What are you opinions on this?

Personaly, it doesnt effect me. I NEVER buy used games, all of mine are new. I hate buying used games. However the patent makes it seem like games will only work on 1 system, which will prevent us from bringing a game to a friends house which would suck.

However i can see how this would be a really huge issue with other people. Even big enough to prevent people from buying future PlayStation consoles.

Hopefully Sony never goes through with this.

Message 1 of 24 (340 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42172 posts

Re: Sony Allegedly Files Patent to Block Used Games

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2013

I've seen rumors pop up for all 3 to be/have been looking into blocking used games. Personally, like you, it doesn't affect me. I buy new. It does impact the rental market though (Gamefly) and I know people will call foul on this but with the rising costs of development, these companies are trying to look at every avenue to make even (online passes, DLC, cutting back on risks, needing to sell 4+ million copies to make even, etc.).

As for taking the game over to a friend's house, maybe it'd be as simple as logging into your own account to 'verify' the game for the console? Granted, it still rules out the used games market but at the very least, you wouldn't be prohibited from enjoying the game at family/friend's houses in that regard. But that's if they lock it to the PSN account instead of the console itself. One of my gripes with the PS3 is that the HDD is locked to the PS3 itself (last I read), unlike the 360 where you can trade the HDD out with another console.

So it doesn't affect me but I can see an outcry against Sony and the industry (I'm sure they're all looking at options) if this came to be. So either people avoid the PS brand (I know some people talk about avoiding games/publishers that do online passes) or they wait/look for sales on new titles and buy them new for $30-40 instead of the $60 that they're trying to avoid (or wait for them to become Greatest Hits and the like but I think publishers would have to be more aggressive in getting titles into this category to kind of 'balance' out).

EDIT: Still, for Sony's benefit and any other looking at trying to block used games, I think it's better an approach to be left alone out of the prospect of backlash from the gaming population.

Message 2 of 24 (330 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
405 posts

Jan 3, 2013

Doesn't bother me, but bye bye GameFly and provably Gamestop as well.

I agree with this beeing an issue with a lot of people as well. While it doesn't bother me, I don't like it. But hey, Sony loves money and they think it'll bring more profit if you have NO CHOICE but to pay $60 for a game...or however much the next gen will cost

~REVOLUTION_IS_MY_NAME~
Message 3 of 24 (326 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42172 posts

Jan 3, 2013

TeAshimaDeVa wrote:

I agree with this beeing an issue with a lot of people as well. While it doesn't bother me, I don't like it. But hey, Sony loves money and they think it'll bring more profit if you have NO CHOICE but to pay $60 for a game...or however much the next gen will cost

I think it's just for research that they're even doing it/this came up but like I said, I've read rumors of MS (and Nintendo?) also looking into the stuff.  If Sony is the only one that implements it (or even MS since Nintendo's console is already out), it'd be interesting to see how they hold up in that particular gen.  I just don't see one doing it out of the big 3 unless they get a lot of love from publishers in the process (plenty of 3rd party exclusives) cause they know every copy of that game sold will be 'new'.  It'd just be suicide to be only one doing it and if there is a big enough backlash from the public and no backing from the publishers, you're setting yourself up for a fall.  The console maker in question would have to secure some heavy exclusives to warrant the risk but with the 'multiplatform everything' mentality of 3rd parties, you'd have to think they'd never get on board with that anyways.

It just doesn't make 'logical' sense for one of the console makers to do it IMO.

Message 4 of 24 (315 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Jan 3, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

TeAshimaDeVa wrote:

I think it's just for research that they're even doing it/this came up but like I said, I've read rumors of MS (and Nintendo?) also looking into the stuff.  If Sony is the only one that implements it (or even MS since Nintendo's console is already out), it'd be interesting to see how they hold up in that particular gen.  I just don't see one doing it out of the big 3 unless they get a lot of love from publishers in the process (plenty of 3rd party exclusives) cause they know every copy of that game sold will be 'new'.  It'd just be suicide to be only one doing it and if there is a big enough backlash from the public and no backing from the publishers, you're setting yourself up for a fall.  The console maker in question would have to secure some heavy exclusives to warrant the risk but with the 'multiplatform everything' mentality of 3rd parties, you'd have to think they'd never get on board with that anyways.

It just doesn't make 'logical' sense for one of the console makers to do it IMO.

i think Sony might be patenting this tech just to jump on it before other do.

if anti-used game stuff does become a reality, Sony will have the upper hand. i dont see them bringing such a feature to their next system though.

Message 5 of 24 (309 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42172 posts

Jan 3, 2013
Could be preemptive. With DLC, online passes, DRM, etc. in play, if eliminating the used games entirely is the next step that publishers get behind and Sony sees that, they can make their move then knowing the publishers who are going to be supporting their console are already behind the idea.

Still, could blow up in their face but that's a matter of how vocal the gaming public is to the idea and if steps are taken that you can take the games over to a friend/family member's house and play without an issue. If the console maker has the support and moves ahead with it and sales of the console still lag behind but the publishers say "Oh, we made a mistake" and bail out to mainly/heavily supporting the other 2 that didn't opt for the route, then the console maker that did make the move/investment is boned royally cause the publishers jumping ship don't have that kind of investment/commitment with actual hardware (unless the console maker has a 'fail safe' for just an occasion and isn't worried about people 'hacking' that fail safe and getting rid of it from the outset).

Eh.

Message 6 of 24 (307 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
56243 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 3, 2013

I made a thread about this in the private MVP area and will share my personal opinion of the rumor from that thread here below

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/sony-patent-describes-tech-that-will-block-used-games-on-playsta...

What do you all think of this idea if indeed it is true? 

Also the new PS4 will not be backwards compatable with the PS3

This combined with the fact that if I want to keep playing a PS3 disc game I'm going to have to re-buy it from the "cloud" has me really unhappy and puts into question my personal relationship with sony as a consumer of their products.  

I buy systems, accessories, DLC for games I like, PSN games, have PS+ and even buy other sony electronics because I've always liked how Sony did business.   The decision from the above article, if true, plus not letting me put my Uncharted3 disc in the PS4 and play the game (or any other PS3 disc game i own) has me feeling like I just got kicked in the jimmies.  

I dunno maybe I'm overreacting which is why I made this thread, I want to see what other people's opinions on this rumor are and some of the other rumors if you want to discuss them. 

I'm holding final judgement for now but if this is true I may just not buy a PS4, then again I might still do it who knows but right now my first impression is "Well thanks for the kick in the genitals sony"
Message 7 of 24 (303 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13633 posts

Jan 3, 2013
Honestly, I do not care about anything to do with next gen except for the facts that are known. Right now its all speculation, even this. But...this does seem more like Sony grabbing the tech before Microsoft Nintendo or Valve (they are making their own system now, after all) can, and then making money off of it later. Which, from a business standpoint, even if they don't use the tech themselves, makes sense.

Lets be honest, you know all devs want to get rid of the used games market; plain and simple, it hurts their business. The majority will support something like this, no doubt. And if one console has lots of dev support...that could change the market in a drastic way (limits on multiplats, more exclusives, etc)

Chances are, unless Microsoft also goes ahead and stops used games, Sony won't either. Its bad business overall for you to but your direct competitor not to. So really, its going to be both or neither. But I bet the moment one stops used games, the other will too.
Message 8 of 24 (297 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 4, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

Sony has reportedly patented technology that will prevent the use of second hand games on consoles.

According to NeoGAF member gofreak, the patent application was filed on 9 December 2012 by Sony Computer Entertainment Japan, and will work by linking individual game discs to a user's account without requiring a network connection meaning any future attempt to use this disc on another user's console won't work.

The patent explains that games will come with contactless tags that will be read by your console in much the same way as modern bank cards. When a disc is first used, the disc ID and player ID will be stored on the tag. Every time the disc is used in future, the tag will check if the two ID’s match up and, if not, then the disc won’t work.

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/03/report-new-sony-patent-blocks-second-hand-games

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

What are you opinions on this?

Personaly, it doesnt effect me. I NEVER buy used games, all of mine are new. I hate buying used games. However the patent makes it seem like games will only work on 1 system, which will prevent us from bringing a game to a friends house which would suck.

However i can see how this would be a really huge issue with other people. Even big enough to prevent people from buying future PlayStation consoles.

Hopefully Sony never goes through with this.

This gen or for every console you ever bought/owned? This gen? i can see the truth to that but for others, it's highly unlikely. 

Message 9 of 24 (245 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1133 posts

Jan 4, 2013

I am not pleased that SONY is doing this. I buy new games, but I buy alot more games used.

I found this article as well- http://n4g.com/news/1149078/examining-sonys-internet-free-method-for-blocking-used-game-sales

Message 10 of 24 (234 Views)
0 Likes