PlayStation MVP
41412 posts

Re: Sony Allegedly Files Patent to Block Used Games

Jan 7, 2013

ZAFO- wrote:

I don't like it either.  About half of the games I own are used, a lot of the others were bought at discounted prices.  I can't often afford much else.  Also I like to bring games to my friend's house, games like Mortal Kombat, which aren't much fun playing alone.  I do occasionally bring my system with me for my saved data but I don't like to, it makes me nervous about damaging it.

I would think there is some way to fix the used game problem without getting rid of the market all together.  There must be some way to get some of that profit back to the developers.  Even if the games are slightly more expensive because of it.  What about the people who buy games they don't like, or finish and have no intention of playing again?  That's a lot of games that will be wasted and simply become garbage.  I don't think they'd be very concerned with that, though.

Right now, they're using DLC and online passes (to get people who buy used to at the very least, put some cash in the dev/pub's pocket instead of Gamestop's or whatever) as their crutch on this front.  The former is a problem for some people because a lot of the stuff being offered up as DLC is stuff you used to get as unlocks in previous gens (costumes, characters, etc.).  'Cutting' that out and selling it to us nowadays can make some people pass altogether.  

Bumping the price of games isn't the right call either cause the people who *ARE* buying new are the ones taking the hit in that case and it might just push them to buy used if they're already on the fence with $60 being the standard.  Dev costs really need to come down or publishers need to start regulating budgets better.  Not everything needs to have a 'AAA' budget or marketing and not everything these publishers put out should be $60.  Do $15-30 games on the PSN and other DL services that aren't costing you double-digit millions to make and you need to sell 3+ million copies to make even (it irks me to hear a publisher/developer say they sold 2 million of a game and still didn't make money on it).  

I think some really need to get back to the B-tier titles that aren't going to cost them much but are still fun/well designed, aren't going to cost the consumer much to play (so maybe digital releases for $10-20), and isn't going to sink the studio if it doesn't make back it's costs.  This gives a lot of these publishers/studios an avenue (not saying they couldn't do it before) to revive older IPs that they don't think would sell well in today's climate at $60 (and don't butcher them in the process to appeal to a larger audience for that 3+ million copies sold; it's kind of win-win for bringing the interest of the people enjoy the franchises being revived or even genres and the publisher's pocket not taking a heavy hit).

Also, since focus would be off/less on the budget, publishers would probably ease up and allow more risky/new IPs.  Don't DL original titles do pretty well for themselves (Flower, Journey, and so on)?  Take a hint.  If the venture pays off first as a DL title, then adjust accordingly for the sequel if you do one (I'm not saying go retail, $60 after, but if you can put a little more money towards the sequel's budget for improvements with a similar pricepoint and it's now got a name for itself, aren't you on your way up with your new IP?  Just don't run it into the ground with the annual releases thing).

Message 21 of 24 (88 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
33920 posts

Jan 7, 2013

This is precisely the kind of proprietary crap I was saying about Sony in that other thread.  They only care about the immediate dollar.  This is completely unacceptable.  It's nonsense, and it will come back to hurt Sony, deservedly so.

If I buy a Ford Taurus, it's my car.  I can sell it to whomever I choose.  Ford Motor Corporation has absolutely no say in what I do with the car.  None whatsoever.

If I "buy" a game from Sony and I can't sell it, then it's really more like I'm renting it or something.  I will be far less likely to part with the same amount of cash I currently spend on games if they don't really belong to me.  You can mince words all you want, but if I can't sell the game then it's not really mine.  I don't have "clear title" to it, as Judge Judy would say.  And because of that, it's really not worth as much to me.

Let's say Gamestop will pay me $10 for my used PS3 game.  If it costs $60 I can take some chance on buying it, because at worst I'm only out $50.  If I don't like it I can sell it to Gamestop.  For me to get the same value under this new tagging system, they would have to sell the game for $50.

Clearly they care little for loyal customers and are focusing on the immediate cash payoff.  This is bad policy and will be met with strong revusion on the part of the consumer.  Once people find out about this (and they will) people will be less likely to buy a PS4 in the first place.  (Again, I'm mentally answering both threads).

Look at the world's biggest retailer.  Wal-Mart.  It's no coincidence that they have the best return policy around, with the singular exception of Sears selling Craftsman tools.  Circuit City hardly ever took anything back.  You practically needed a lawyer to come with you to the refund desk.  As a result, people got sick of Circuit City screwing them out of every dime.  I certainly wouldn't take a chance of buying something at Circuit City and then having it not work.  I'm just out the money.  So what I would do would be to look around at Circuit City for something I liked (because nobody was there - they were all at Best Buy) and then leave and go to Best Buy to buy it, because Best Buy had a better return policy.  The more expensive the item, the less likely I would buy it at Circuit City.  And a store like that can't stay in business long if nobody is buying their big ticket items.

As you may know, the Circuit City empire collapsed since then.

Right now if you want a PS3 game you just buy it.  But if they put this tag on the PS4, then you will be unlikely to just buy it.  In the back of your mind, you will wonder, What if the game is crap?  You'll want to research it first.  Get some reviews.  Then get some more reviews because maybe Sony paid off those first guys to pump up a sorry game and get suckers to buy it.  How can I trust a review now on any Sony game?

Placing these tags on games does one thing only.  It reduces my options as a consumer.  It doesn't necessarily boost their profit margin.  It only takes away my options, under the assumption that I'm going to keep paying full price for more over-rated games that I don't actually enjoy.  And let's think about that for a second.

Suppose I buy 20 games and I like 10 of them.  Back in the day, I could just sell/swap/barter those games away and now I have 10 games that I really like.  I had the coolest console and 100% of my games were all awesome.  But now I can't sell them anymore since they added that ID tag.  So I'm stuck with all 20 games whether I like them or not.  It's either keep them or throw them out, and I'm not throwing them out.  So every single day I'm forced to stare at a stack of games that are 50% garbage.  The more I look at them, the more disgusted I get.  My brand loyalty for Sony quickly ends up in the toilet.

Jus think if you were forced to keep that 1973 Ford Pinto.  It belches smoke, is falling apart, and it's a deathtrap.  But you're not legally allowed to trade it in on that hot new Mustang GT.  Who would you blame for this?  I would say Ford.  Thankfully they don't do this.  In fact, they do the opposite.  Car companies like to brag about their high resale value.  They know that in 4 years you might start thinking about a newer car.  You don't want a Yugo with practically no resale value at all.  You want a Lexus with a high resale value (if you can afford one).

By adding this Orwellian proprietary ID tag, they have reduced the games' resale value down to zero.  When you buy a PS4 game, you will be buying a Yugo and they know it.  Nobody wants a Yugo.  They will try to talk it up by making these astounding reviews but it's still a Yugo.  Some people will be fooled by the reviews and buy the Yugo, but others will be more cautious.  People like me might* adopt a "wait and see" attitude.

* By "might" I mean "most definitely will".

A "wait and see" attitude is death to a console.  The initial sales are crucial.  They are the most profitable and are needed to establish an economy of scale.  Also, they need to convince game developers to make games for Sony instead of Microsoft.  Modern video games can cost $60 million to create.  They ain't cheap.  They have Hollywood budgets now.  They can't afford to spend that kind of money if they don't expect to sell any games.  They need to sell MILLIONS of these games to stay in business.  The "wait and see" attitude will alert developers not to create games for the PS4.  Now you're in a death spiral.  Nobody's buying the games because nobody's buying the consoles.  And nobody's going to buy the consoles if there are no games.  Suddenly Sony is bleeding money and it can't understand why.

One stupid little gimmick like an ID tag, specifically designed to screw over the customer and remove our options can put Sony into an irrecoverable death spiral.  Unless they just want to keep pumping millions into something noboy wants to buy, of course.

Up until now, Sony's proprietary wars against the consumer were fairly small and easy to ignore.  This one won't be.  People will see it for the blatant cash grab that it is and will be loathe to buy a Sony product.

I already told you in that other thread that I wouldn't even consider buying another Sony DVD/BluRay player because of the proprietary chip they put in the last one I bought.  But it will be 10 times worse if they put this ID tag chip in the PS4.

Such a stupid idea.  You might as well change your company slogan to "At Sony, the customer is always worthy of having us suck every last dollar from their wallets for an inferior product."

Message 22 of 24 (82 Views)
First Son
4 posts

Jan 7, 2013

All I have to say is that if Sony Blocks used games on the Playstation 3 or 4 or any after that, Then they will lose another buyer of the PS4 or after. 

I buy New and Used games and mainly I will buy used only when I don't have enough to get the new one and I really want the game. I also buy used games when I can't find the one I want new. I rely on used games and I will NOT tolerate Sony doing this crap. :catmad:

If you Block the used games Sony, You will have at least 50% or more lost Sales since we will not tolerate it happening.

That is all I have to say and I mean it.

Cornpipe75    :smileymad:

Message 23 of 24 (71 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 7, 2013
I hope to God Sony won't use this technology in the next generation of their game console... What Sony (and other corporations) need to realize is that if you please the customers and keep their side they will like and support you. This means that they will buy your hard- and software, which equals profit! It's a win win situation! Sony, utilizing this kind technology would be an extremely short-term / non-existent solution to a long-term problem. I'm not saying all of this just because i want to save money on used games, i really mean it. LISTEN. TO. THE. CUSTOMERS.
"Laziness is nothing more than the habit of resting before you get tired."
Jules Renard
Message 24 of 24 (64 Views)
0 Likes