Highlighted
Jan 17 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Sim City 6 - coming March 5, 2013

6 replies 4391 views Edited Jan 17, 2013

It's coming on March 5, 2013. I took a look at it. Not bad - but still limited. It'll come in $59.99 and $79.99 versions. The $79.99 version comes with pre-built European cities, which I'm guessing took a long time for them to make, thus the extra price. 

First of all it'll require a basic 2 core, 2 ghz CPU (Core 2 Duo) which the average consumer has, with at least an nVidia Geforce 7800 video card - which has 54.4 GB/s of memory bandwidth by the way. Thus it's equal to the Playstation 3 in graphics capability.  Nevertheless the game only supports 2 Kilometer by 2 Kilometer maps - which is only 6,336 feet by 6,336 feet - a little over a mile. Why - it's fully 3D of course. Building a 3D city is costly. It has only mediocre lighting effects, as can be expected. And the Depth of Field effect is terrible - it blurs everything past 1000 feet or so. Thus the technology commonly available isn't strong enough to support an actual city simulation. Say New York City - which would be something like 10 miles by 5 miles, or 52,800 feet by 26,400 feet.  Maybe the next generation of consoles would be able to do so however, which are due out this year.

Apart from graphics - it appears to be a city simulation, in that all of the important buildings that you build are tracked by the game. I saw a video of this game on youtube running, where the developers answered questions. For instance - a bus station comes with a
single bus. You can add multiple buses to it. A hospital comes with an ambulance. You can add multiple ambulances to it, and enhance the patient capacity. The games tracks where the ambulance goes. Many times it will go to a factory - where accidents happen all the time.  All of the cars and people on the road are kept track of and controlled. Thousands. Thus because of this CPU intensive component, I doubt that the current generation of consoles could support it in its current form - Playstation 3 and Xbox 360, because of their PowerPC design. You'd have to take away much of the computer-controlled components of the game. Not that it matters because it would never release for those.

And there you have it, my take on Sim City 6.

Message 1 of 7 (4,391 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Re: Sim City 6 - coming March 5, 2013

Jan 17, 2013

Why can the next generation Playstation support actual city simulations you ask?  A full 52,800 foot by 26,400 foot city?  First of it runs a 8 core, 4 ghz CISC processor, with 8 MB of L2 cache - thus the computer in Sim City 6 will be able to accurately control the objects in the city to run the simulation.  Second of all - the graphics chips will employ considerable degree of embedded RAM, decreasing the memory requirements required to run the city by 1000, by storing often-used buildings, textures, and character models on embedded DRAM, before rendering it. 

Message 2 of 7 (4,389 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Woah, slow down there, brother. If you consider that atrocity of a game, that shall not be named, to even be a true SimCity game, let alone SimCity 5 or even the spiritual sucessor to SC4,  you sir have to do some serious soul searching. I'm not talking about a couple minutes either. 

As for these insinuations about the next Playstation, I have some serious reservations about believeing them.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 3 of 7 (4,383 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 17, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Woah, slow down there, brother. If you consider that atrocity of a game, that shall not be named, to even be a true SimCity game, let alone SimCity 5 or even the spiritual sucessor to SC4,  you sir have to do some serious soul searching. I'm not talking about a couple minutes either. 

As for these insinuations about the next Playstation, I have some serious reservations about believeing them.

Those are technicalities - what's its actual name, its actual sequel number.  Irrelevant.  You can believe what you want about the next Playstation.  That's what I believe though.  And it's Sim City 6 - not 5.  Sim City Societies. 

Message 4 of 7 (4,379 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Jan 17, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

darknovaxp wrote:

Those are technicalities - what's its actual name, its actual sequel number.  Irrelevant.  You can believe what you want about the next Playstation.  That's what I believe though.  And it's Sim City 6 - not 5.  Sim City Societies. 

No, sir. SimCity Societies was not SimCity 5. Now excuse me while I go play the last real SimCity game, SC4.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 5 of 7 (4,356 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 17, 2013

Of course it's a Sim City game.  Not developed by Maxis - but it still has a city building component.  If you're trying to say it's not as good as the others, that's a different story. 

Message 6 of 7 (4,350 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Jan 18, 2013

Current gen consoles can support an entire city... as if that's somehow a measurement of a consoles greatness or hardware superiority. 

The inability of that game to draw very far out in the distance is more likely due to lack of optimization and other development constraints. Sims games are not really concerned with graphics as much as other games are. 

Keeping track of multipule things at once isn't all that hard for a game, particularly since things not acutally happening in your immeadiate view or require immeadiate attention, don't really require very much CPU time at all, since the game can just quickly come up with these events as they're needed, and games have been doing these types of things for years.

I think an excellent example of how consoles can and already do this is Grand Theft Auto.

Message 7 of 7 (4,334 Views)
0 Likes