Highlighted
Oct 18 2012
By: taka3011 First Son 8 posts

Should the Playstation 4 do away with discs?

[ Edited ]
24 replies 418 views Edited Oct 18, 2012

There have been various rumours about what the Playstation 4 specs will be like and what features it will have, but something that none of these rumours have ever brought up is what the media format for  PS4 will be.

Most people probably assume the next Playstation will most likely use Blu-ray discs, but hese have the major drawback of slow read speeds. PS4 will most likely use more data for smaller sections of games which will only slow load times more so than on PS3. The PS3's solution to this problem was to simply install games on the hard drive, again this a problem because the size of PS4 will likey be much larger than PS3 eating up precious hard drive space.

The best soultion I thought of is using Flash Memory like what is used in game cartridges and memory cards. The read speeds of flash memory are significantly faster than what is available on discs which will solve the problems of load times and game installs.The most likely formats are either Compact Flash on of the older and more affordable memory formats or XQD cards which is one of the newer formats which offer a higher potential capacity and faster read speeds. Sony is currently one of the few companies manufacturing XQD cards so this presents a good opportunity for them to capitalize on this technology.

These are my thought on the matter and I don't know how many other people might share this view so I'm putting it out there. What are your thoughts?

Message 1 of 25 (418 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Re: Should the Playstation 4 do away with discs?

Oct 19, 2012

"Should the Playstation 4 do away with discs?"

No.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 2 of 25 (397 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
41732 posts

Oct 19, 2012

100% NOT.

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 3 of 25 (393 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
3 posts

Oct 19, 2012
No. Keep the discs.
Message 4 of 25 (390 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
2922 posts

Oct 19, 2012

BRIT-KO wrote:

100% NOT.

100% AGREE.

Metallica Pinball Sig photo LONG-LIVE-PLAY-METALLICA-PINBALL_zps397a82cb.jpg
Gameplay -> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gzxc59Y6GcA
Message 5 of 25 (383 Views)
First Son
8 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 19, 2012

Okay, so clearly I'm a minority on this. Would anyone care to explain why PS4 should keep discs? I'm not saying the PS4 should be all digital, I'm just suggesting switching from discs to Flash Memory cards.

The only major loss I can think of would be the ability to watch Blu-ray movies, most of us already have our PS3s for that or even a dedicated Blu-ray player. With services like Netflix I don't think the loss of Blu-ray tmovies would be a big one.

Message 6 of 25 (379 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9830 posts

[ Edited ]
Oct 19, 2012

If PS4 did away with discs, that would mean:

No more backwards compatibilty of any kind.

No more Blu-Ray movies or DVDs or music CDs.

PS4 without discs would be a stripped down version of PS3 with games that have slightly better graphics.

wallpaper-1227174.jpg

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 7 of 25 (369 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Oct 19, 2012

I am not totally opposed to downloaded games, but when I spend $60.00 or more on a game, I would like to have a hard copy available, in the event the system craps the bed.  

As far as Blue Ray movies; the players are now priced a lot cheaper then when the system first hit the market.

I would not fear the loss of movie capability, but at the same time, I do not think the full potential of Blue Ray gaming has been met.  I believe, in m y opinion, with a larger processor in a PS4. The potential for better games becomes greater, sticking with the Blue Ray format.

Moble

Message 8 of 25 (360 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
8 posts

Oct 19, 2012

moblesuit75 wrote:

I am not totally opposed to downloaded games, but when I spend $60.00 or more on a game, I would like to have a hard copy available.

I do not think the full potential of Blue Ray gaming has been met.

First of all I never suggested the PS4 be download only.  I'm only saying the PS4 should switch from using discs to memory cards which will offer much faster load speeds and eliminate the need to install games on your hard drive.

Secondly, I think Blu-ray has reached it's limit in regards for gaming. It's slow read speeds meant it was probably never suited for gaming. Load times will likely only get worse on next-gen consoles because they will need more data for a smaller amount of content.

Message 9 of 25 (332 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1136 posts

Oct 19, 2012
Part of marketing nowadays is that these consoles are multifunctional, something for everyone. Lose the disc drive, and you lose the audience with it.

Plus, as someone already said, there goes backwards compatibility.
An open mind is like a fortress with it's doors unguarded and unbarred
Message 10 of 25 (323 Views)
0 Likes