Mar 25 2012
By: EPIC-KILL First Son 1 posts

Should "The Hunger Games" be a video game?

37 replies 3887 views Edited Mar 25, 2012

Hey everyone! Just saw the movie in theaters and I was just wondering what everyone's thoughts were because the idea of a video game for this movie seems really cool.

check out this link this guys has some good ideas. http://www.goodreads.com/topic/show/383954-hunger-games-video-game?page=1

Message 2 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Re: Should "The Hunger Games" be a video game?

Mar 25, 2012

Nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. We must delete this thread before the devs get wind of it. Just kidding but serious absolutely not

Message 1 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Mar 25, 2012

You think Harry Potter was a well recieved game? based on the book and movie?

Nope.

Movies do not translate well as a video game

Furiously Chaosing
Message 3 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Mar 25, 2012

My thoughts exactly plus I don't need my wife playing my systems lol some things should just be left to books even the movie even though I didn't see it but my wife did and it didn't translate well to the big screen to bring it to a console would be such an abortion.

Message 4 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
498 posts

Mar 25, 2012

Books sometimes translate well to a game, but I've NEVER seen a movie translated well to a video game. In fact, I've come to the point that I won't even bother with a game that is made from a movie. Ok, well, maybe there are a couple exceptions, but truly it's the rare game. This has been the case going back to Atari. Probably the most putrid pile of doo doo ever made was ET the video game.

Edit: Regarding those exceptions, the only times I've seen a movie -> game work even remotely well is when its one of those "based on" type of games where the game is set in the world, but it does not attempt to follow the plot of the movie. Like many of the Star Wars games that might tell a story from a different time, or where you are an X-Wing pilot. The games that are "this is just like the movie but you get to play the main character with your controller" are usually just terrible games. So maybe a Hunger Games game that is just built on the concept of the future dystopian society that is in the book/movie. Maybe there is some potential there, but I still tend to ignore anything that I know was a movie before it was made into a game.

Message 5 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Mar 27, 2012

I know that a lot of people are saying that all games based on a movie are crap. Well let's be honest, they're right. But whether they like it or not, The Hunger Games will become a game. There are just so many possibilities for this to work. I could see a vast open-world action RPG with resource management, strategy, and stealth elements. Or i can alos see a simple arcady coffee break game to just play a little bit of a time on. So in the long run, I say YES!!!

Message 6 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
29173 posts

Mar 27, 2012

RockStar had a game years ago called Manhunt, which had a similar type of theme. Large open spaces, and whacking guys before they whack you. Not entirely the same, but similar.

I'd rather see a sequel to that.

Message 7 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Mar 27, 2012

If this was to happen, I think Microsoft has the first dibs on this because they were sponsoring a Hunger Games tour at Microsoft Stores around the country...

Message 8 of 38 (3,887 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
1 posts

Jul 5, 2012
Yes! Because it would be a great Online(MULTIPLAYER) experience. You could also include a STORY MODE.
Message 9 of 38 (3,856 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Jul 5, 2012

CaptainAlbator wrote:

RockStar had a game years ago called Manhunt, which had a similar type of theme. Large open spaces, and whacking guys before they whack you. Not entirely the same, but similar.

I'd rather see a sequel to that.

Man I even remember the controversey that game brought. CNN and Fox News covered it quite a bit, along with Thrill Kill I believe, which never even made it to US shores or was ever printed

Furiously Chaosing
Message 10 of 38 (3,842 Views)
0 Likes