Highlighted
May 01 2013
By: Akirasolid Fender Bender 3195 posts

Sega and gear box getting sued

10 replies 4272 views Edited May 1, 2013

Did not think they would actually go to court for this.

http://www.polygon.com/2013/4/30/4287382/aliens-colonial-marines-lawsuit-class-action-sega-gearbox

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 1 of 11 (4,272 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Re: Sega and gear box getting sued

May 1, 2013

well you thought wrong.... they deserved it.

There was a lot of impressive demos shown well before the games release, and when comparing the retail game vs the demos.... the retail looks WORSE than the demo....

There are simply elements to the game that do not exist in the final game that players THOUGHT they'd be getting because of the "leading on" made by Gearbox and Sega.....

And it tarnishes Gearbox's reputation because they were so successful with Borderlands 2....

Furiously Chaosing
Message 2 of 11 (127 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
9504 posts

May 1, 2013
Arent most demos labelled as 'not full representatives of the finished product' yada yada yada anyways though?
Support Forums
Message 3 of 11 (113 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3195 posts

[ Edited ]
May 1, 2013

@ gR3yGh051: Oh, I know they deserve whatever is coming to them, but I always here people say "I'm going to sue so and so for making a horrible game" but it never really happens. So, I'm kind of suprised that someone is going forward with a lawsuit. I'm extremely **bleep** at gearbox for what they did to the final game, Alien's was my most anticipated game of the year but after watching, reading and hearing how terrible the game was I was so disappointed. 

@ smokingpistol: I've seen the E3 video and I could never recall gearbox saying "It is not the final product". They did say "Its all in-game". So take that with a grain of salt.

"I'm not a failure because I didn't win, I'm a failure because I didn't try." - Kev

Message 4 of 11 (95 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7356 posts

May 1, 2013
<strong>
<font color="#3366FF">
I'm not supporting Gearbox's and SEGA's decisions, but this plaintiff is only suing them for the money. I won't be surprised if he asks $1,000,000+ in damages.

Gearbox should have told the gaming community about the differences--I think things were changed and omitted to meet an ESRB rating--but demos are NOT representations of the final product. If Gearbox was smart, they would displayed that message on their demo.
</font>
</strong>
PlayStation MVP Program 2001 to 2016
Message 5 of 11 (80 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
819 posts

May 1, 2013
yeah.what everybody else said...a demo is implied to not be the finished product...otherwise can we all sue for game bugs and glitches...since they don't disclose those before we buy?
Message 6 of 11 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
16939 posts

May 1, 2013

smokingpistol wrote:
Arent most demos labelled as 'not full representatives of the finished product' yada yada yada anyways though?

Yes, but not to the degree of Aliens.... Most not all don't even have this label anymore... and even when you see "Actual gameplay" you're likely seeing the game run on a PC with maxxed out settings. 

All of the demo's shown were narrated by someone who said "this is what the final game will look like" and lead everyone on.... 

its not like no one knows better, but when you're talking about things TAKEN OUT of the game, thats an issue.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 7 of 11 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
64 posts

May 2, 2013

I think there were advertisements with the false footage of gameplay after the game released as well. Might be able to find it on youtube.

Message 8 of 11 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6897 posts

May 2, 2013

imo death to the capitalist class. overlitigation is good if its corps taking on other corps

Message 9 of 11 (41 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3195 posts

May 2, 2013

Here's a video comparing the demo and final version of the game

Message 10 of 11 (35 Views)
0 Likes