MVP Support
6003 posts

Re: [Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

Jul 14, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:
Actually, not really. Even physical copies you are technically buying a license to play the game, you do not own any aspect of the game itself. Read the fine print when you have a chance.

While this may be true, it is a moot point, because technically, with a physical disc, you do own the disc and can do with it what you want.

You can sell it, or give it to a friend.  You can even keep it and use it as a drink coaster when you are done playing the game, if you are into that sort of thing.

The major difference is that with a disc copy, you are not required in any way, shape or fashion to adhere to someone's arbitrary online connection requirement.  As I stated, if Steam goes belly up, so do all of your games.

... Valve has mentioned they would patch Steam to allow games to go in a permanent offline mode (aka the DRM will most likely be removed).

http://steamcommunity.com/discussions/forum/0/828933455838324563/

I'm only going to post one link, we would be here all day if I were to let the other...

I do see your concern though BTW as is not a definitive answer that I gave you especially.

Message 71 of 77 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

Jul 15, 2013

Why do you guys waste so much effort into arguing about the details of DRM and terms of service?

At the end of the day we want digital sales on the PSN to be similar to Steam sales, in discounts and variety of offers. Whatever Sony does so that it only manages some few dozens deals with each bigger sale, in comparison to hundreds of offers on Steam, they should improve.

That games on consoles will always cost some 10-20% more due license fees, who cares. A 75% discount is still yummy.

All that should matter is the revenue that Sony and developers achieve by sales. And there can be no doubt Steam sales lead to stellar results. Last witnessed by Fez that sold 105k copies within 2 days.

Fez Sales

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/14/steam-summer-sale-snapshot-fez-sells-105k-units-in-two-days/

There is a reason why Steam sales are such a poplular event, while barely someone would hold their breath when Sony announces sales.

Message 72 of 77 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 15, 2013

Golwar wrote:

Why do you guys waste so much effort into arguing about the details of DRM and terms of service?

At the end of the day we want digital sales on the PSN to be similar to Steam sales, in discounts and variety of offers. Whatever Sony does so that it only manages some few dozens deals with each bigger sale, in comparison to hundreds of offers on Steam, they should improve.

That games on consoles will always cost some 10-20% more due license fees, who cares. A 75% discount is still yummy.

All that should matter is the revenue that Sony and developers achieve by sales. And there can be no doubt Steam sales lead to stellar results. Last witnessed by Fez that sold 105k copies within 2 days.

Fez Sales

http://www.joystiq.com/2013/07/14/steam-summer-sale-snapshot-fez-sells-105k-units-in-two-days/

There is a reason why Steam sales are such a poplular event, while barely someone would hold their breath when Sony announces sales.

Excellent post and one of the few that is actually right on point to what the OP was saying (yes, I'm guilty of straying off-topic by responding to certain posts here).

It reminds me of a post made by the developers of Dustforce, breaking down the benefits of Steam Sales and Indie Bundles (another HUGE benefit of PC digital gaming): http://hitboxteam.com/dustforce-sales-figures

Long read, but there are some telling graphs if you just want to scroll through.

Message 73 of 77 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
74 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 15, 2013

Thanks. Smiley Happy

It really isn't a secret in the industry that Steam sales lead to insane results. Not only while a game is discounted, but also for some days afterwards. At full price then.

The more it baffles me that SCE is so stubborn and barely reacted to those experiences, in the past few years.

Sure, one could have assumed that it was a once in a life time event, an unique experience, at the beginning.. But Steam sales are the same success, each quarter of the year. Year after year.

All they'd have to do is to drop the prices for large parts of the complete libary by 30-60% and promote some few titles with discounts up to 75-90%.

And then let the money rain down on their heads. I can only assume that Sone is neither interested in money nor making their customers AND publishers AND developers very happy.

Message 74 of 77 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4170 posts

Jul 15, 2013

You can steal a PC game with no problem. They kinda have to make the prices extremely cheap or no ones going to buy it.

Message 75 of 77 (87 Views)
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 15, 2013

a24fan wrote:

You can steal a PC game with no problem. They kinda have to make the prices extremely cheap or no ones going to buy it.

The same people that find it easy to "steal a PC game" can just as easily "steal a PS3 game" (or any console game). I won't help you out, but if you have any Google skills, I'm sure you can do so yourself.

The prices aren't cheap because of piracy, they're cheap because there is actual competition, whereas Sony has a monopoly on PS3/Vita games.

Message 76 of 77 (83 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2374 posts

Jul 15, 2013
Sony definitely needs to do something like steam, and they need to keep up in prices too. Sometimes some games may be around 45% less in retail and on competitive services while they are almost full price on PSN.

If more sales were done, it would entice players to buy a lot of games. In steam people buy more games than they will ever play. Why? Because it's almost a steal, and people love the deals.
Message 77 of 77 (79 Views)
0 Likes