Jul 14, 2013

stupid comment, bcs you stupid I guess.

Message 61 of 77 (126 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
17 posts

Re: [Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

Jul 14, 2013

really? then repeat it for your colleagues too, bcs they post the most bs in here!

Message 62 of 77 (126 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 14, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:
Again, that's NOT true. I've played several games in Offline mode. All you have to do is install the game (and possibly play it once if there are additional things that need to be installed (like a DX update) and then that's it - you can play OFFLINE without a connection. I have done this several times.

Just fired up Portal after having hit the 'Go Offline' option and restarting.  First thing it did was log me back in.  If I turn off my wifi, it just fails to load with an error 'No Connection' or some such.

There is no way to play steam games offline.  At least not Portal or Portal 2.

So basically, if Steam eventually goes belly up, so do all of your Steam purchases.  Good luck with that.

Like I said, it depends on the game. All of Valve's games require a connection - it's Valve's DRM. That is NOT indicative of Steam as a service though, that is simply their choice as a developer. Again, I have personally played several games while in offline mode for weeks at a time, even games that have some multiplayer component (like Worms), but obviously only being able to access the single-player/local co-op modes.

Message 63 of 77 (109 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4224 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Not sure if this has been pointed out and I apologize if it has (I skipped over most of the comments), but Steam does not "Sell" games. 

The sales are great, yes, but you are not paying to own them.

It states it right in their user agreement.

Steam.PNG

That is the difference between Steam and buying digital from PSN / XBL.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 64 of 77 (103 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 14, 2013

HorrorGod wrote:

Not sure if this has been pointed out and I apologize if it has (I skipped over most of the comments), but Steam does not "Sell" games. 

Steam.PNG

Actually, not really. Even physical copies you are technically buying a license to play the game, you do not own any aspect of the game itself. Read the fine print when you have a chance.

Message 65 of 77 (99 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4224 posts

Jul 14, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

HorrorGod wrote:

Steam.PNG

Actually, not really. Even physical copies you are technically buying a license to play the game, you do not own any aspect of the game itself. Read the fine print when you have a chance.

I just checked two of my games. I don't see anything thing like that in the fine print of the box.

If you've seen that on one of your games, mind taking a pic? Just curious to see it.

"You must make a friend of horror. Horror and moral terror are your friends. If they are not then they are enemies to be feared."

Message 66 of 77 (93 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
4779 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

While I will say that the steam sales are downright nuts (Just got Fallout 3 and New Vegas complete collection [aka with all dlc], for $10 together, almost maxed settings btw), there is no reason to hate on PS3 owners wanting great sales and discounts. Some don't have a high end PC, so while stream has cheap game prices, their PC may be basic to the point that buying games off of there makes no sense. PC approachability is very limited mind you due to price and having to play with settings to get the game running well and/or looking descent still.

For instance, I looked at Just Cause 2, both have sales for it. PS3 Summer sale with PS+ had Just Cause 2 priced at $8, while Steams summer sale has it on sale for $3 with no subscription or anything. Paints an odd picture really don't you think. Funny, I bought both for comparisons sake.

Played Just Cause 2 on PS3 and have been enjoying it so far. Played it on my [mid range] PC after and couldn't, frames were downright awful according to FRAPS (~10) - had to turn off a few settings (originally had everything turned to max), crank the resolution down (slightly lower than my PS3 to give you an idea) before I started seeing the PS3's 25 - 30 fps on my PC. See, some can endure such a thing as we've been doing it for years. Some just want to buy the game, pop it in, and play, no settings needed to be fiddled with. There's your difference besides price.

Message 67 of 77 (91 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1040 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Subion wrote:
If you like steam so much and pc games why don't you go marry them

Wow, I kinda feel sorry for you...

Anyway, PC and Console are two different entities.  Steam has a lot more competition on the front lines then sony.  Sony competes against Microsoft and Nintendo, for the most part.  Steam competes against Amazon,. GMG, GOG, getgamesgo

gamyfly, gamestop impulse, EA (via origin), gamers gate, etc.  I could go on but you get the point.  The past few years have seen the bigger non-steam players gain ground and offer better prices then steam, IE; Amazon, GMG.

This is a good thing for the consumer.  Sony doesn't have the competition that steam has, therefor its customers pay a higher price.

doc shady signature
Message 68 of 77 (84 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
8556 posts

Jul 14, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

While this may be true, it is a moot point, because technically, with a physical disc, you do own the disc and can do with it what you want.

You can sell it, or give it to a friend.  You can even keep it and use it as a drink coaster when you are done playing the game, if you are into that sort of thing.

The major difference is that with a disc copy, you are not required in any way, shape or fashion to adhere to someone's arbitrary online connection requirement.  As I stated, if Steam goes belly up, so do all of your games.

Message 69 of 77 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 14, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

The major difference is that with a disc copy, you are not required in any way, shape or fashion to adhere to someone's arbitrary online connection requirement.  As I stated, if Steam goes belly up, so do all of your games.

Well that's really no different than if Sony went belly-up when it comes to digital purchases. Valve has officially stated that if Steam were ever to be shut down, they would "unlock" all the games to be playable outside of Steam and provide ample time for users to back up all their games. But that's more of an argument of physical vs. digital, which is the reason some people don't like digital distribution.

Message 70 of 77 (62 Views)
0 Likes