Treasure Hunter
6945 posts

Re: [Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

Absinthetic wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:
Steam doesnt get  none in any betas, nor does the gamers  win prizes packs. Steam is cheap, i give them  that  but i think dev rather be  psn  to get a slice of the pie  even if  its 5$. 

thats not true. steam does have betas, many of them, and also prize packs of virtual crap you can trade with other steam users

and there is also steam greenlight for independant game devs

Im  talking  about real betas  here.  You know  job after your  done some times.. yes a paid  testing job...  virtual items. uhmm  psn is   actully giving away  real items  and sometime stone cold  cash, real life vaction trips to gaming stuios.  Clothing you  can  wash in the washing machine, actually meet the dev teams of your favorite games. Steam does not do that.

Its good they support indies..

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 51 of 77 (166 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6945 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

JuanMdP wrote:
While Steam comes out with sales at a far better ratio than Sony, MS and Nintendo combined I wouldn't look down on Sony's offers. The Summer Sale was killer, Atlus is currently offering some of their published RPGs for dirt cheap (ranging between $2.45 to $7.45). People could buy several games these weeks for less than $10 which is pretty huge~.

Steam is solely dedicated to this, Sony just has a digital store. Give it time, it might evolve to that level someday~.

But how many of those games during Sony sales are popular AAA titles and/or recently released titles?

For example, Bioshock Infinite is $30 right now (was cheaper on GMG earlier today with an extra 20% Off voucher).

Dishonored is currently sitting at $18, with it going to go down to $10.20 (if not when it wins the CC vote, eventually as a daily/flash deal). The DLC is also on sale, so you'll soon be able to grab the game and all the DLC for around $15.

Then we have games like DARK and Remember Me, that have just been released in the past month at 25% Off (with the possibility of them being further discounted in a daily/flash/CC deal).

Sony may offer some nice deals here and there, but nothing competes with Steam and other digital-PC sales (GMG, Amazon, GOG, etc.)

Sometimes you the dlc free  with the the game on psn.Steam cannot say that. You a have pay for everything on steam  on psn that is not  the  case.

Steam doesnt get  none in any betas, nor does the gamers  win prizes packs. Steam is cheap, i give them  that  but i think dev rather be  psn  to get a slice of the pie  even if  its 5$.  Some games have sold better  on psn than  steam.   Also vise versa.

I think psn  will be better than steam after some time since sony has  playstaion mobile,  most pc games are that popular, are mobile games now  days. btw  ps vita an  psp can be   phone

That is completely false. You must have never used Steam.

Free DLC? Yep, plenty of games have either permanently-free or timed-free DLC.

Betas? HAHAHAHA. Dude, Steam has way more betas than PSN ever does. There are probably more current betas on Steam than PSN gets in a year.

Prize Packs? Many games have items that can be won, traded, sold, bought, etc. During the major Steam Sales, they've also often given away a lot of free stuff, including full games and DLC.

The only edge Sony has is PS+, but we DO pay a subscription for that. Steam doesn't offer any subcription service.

sony has been doing gaming beta since ps1  days.. who want to trade a flight ticket to  naughty dawgs all paid with room a stay and get  free copy of the game and other  rare games they have made for free . Your face in the game maybe  even ...   free clothing  and  items that are  real items,  you can  hang/wear around the house and show your friends. Pictures of your trip that will last a life time. Some things cant  just be traded and bought.

How  about GT dev giving  a real car to the  gamers  who  played the demo of the GT game? When the  was last time steam gave away a  car along with  a paid trip. i can count  2-3 times  Gt devs  have given away cars  and all this happen off psn and .. Steams maybe a little bit better than psn+ in some ways, but  better than psn as  a whole.   Dont lose your day job becuase nobody in the industry right now can touch  psn..

Now that sir is  not false.

happy gaming in your future

Mcbuttz78

Message 52 of 77 (166 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
10911 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

xClayMeow wrote:
Again, that's NOT true. I've played several games in Offline mode. All you have to do is install the game (and possibly play it once if there are additional things that need to be installed (like a DX update) and then that's it - you can play OFFLINE without a connection. I have done this several times.

Just fired up Portal after having hit the 'Go Offline' option and restarting.  First thing it did was log me back in.  If I turn off my wifi, it just fails to load with an error 'No Connection' or some such.

There is no way to play steam games offline.  At least not Portal or Portal 2.

So basically, if Steam eventually goes belly up, so do all of your Steam purchases.  Good luck with that.

Message 53 of 77 (137 Views)
Lombax Warrior
149 posts

Jul 13, 2013
wats good world?!!
 photo sig_zps8bd32844.jpg
Reformed Xbox Player (6/23/13)
Online/Co-op: Battlefield 3 - Saints Row 3 - Killzone 2&3 - LittleBigPlanet Racing - FFXIV [Beta]
Message 54 of 77 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
141 posts

Jul 13, 2013

I disagree Steams selection sucks compared to PSN.

Message 55 of 77 (130 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Im  talking  about real betas  here.  

So am I. Steam Ealy acces and Greenlight

btw, whats the difference between a "real" beta, as you put it, and a beta?

mcbuttz78 wrote:
real life vaction trips to gaming stuios.   actually meet the dev teams of your favorite games. Steam does not do that.

you mean in contests? pretty sure psn doesnt do that as well.

those contests for meet n greets with devs are done by the PR/marketing for the dev team open for psn users

Message 56 of 77 (118 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6945 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 13, 2013

Absinthetic wrote:

mcbuttz78 wrote:

Im  talking  about real betas  here.  

So am I. Steam Ealy acces and Greenlight

btw, whats the difference between a "real" beta, as you put it, and a beta?

mcbuttz78 wrote:
real life vaction trips to gaming stuios.   actually meet the dev teams of your favorite games. Steam does not do that.

you mean in contests? pretty sure psn doesnt do that as well.

those contests for meet n greets with devs are done by the PR/marketing for the dev team open for psn users

are you sure, becuase  swear naughty dawg  had a contest that was  featured on psn to fly to  the studio.. it was not meet and greet either.. PSn  help them promote it to the fans. yes they have a web blog , at same time it was featured on psn and with psn . maybe it  guriella games.. .. hold on maybe it was both of  them at one point in time.. i cant remember

i think they do meet and greets  every year which  has nothing to do  with psn  give aways,  but the do give stuff away at the meet and greets.

YOu might not have been  psn long enough to know that some devs use give stuff out just for  fun, I remember capcom giving away Marvel vs campom 3  for  free on psn blog to certain gamers.. I also  certain devs giving  away  dlc and avi  free..

psn has alot of contest man.. one is on twitter maybe  its  fce book..  its  called "win it wendsdays"

psn mobile was giving free games  every week on tuesday,  i think they had  constest on psn home and  had new  winner every week gave aways tv's. psp , ps vita, ps3,  games .  trips etc

Maybe my  memeory is a fuzzy, maybe it was all  dream. Forgive me im old  time for my  nap

Mcbuttz78

Message 57 of 77 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
322 posts

Jul 14, 2013

The sales right now for Sony are pretty killer. Especially if you have PS+. Don't compare PC and Console. TOTALLY different.

When all have fallen, rise above the ashes.
Message 58 of 77 (92 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13184 posts

Jul 14, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

How much is battlefield 3 on steam?  

Correction: Only on Origin by EA. 

photo AL2009manBanner2013_zpsd80ecc86.png
Message 59 of 77 (78 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
122 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 14, 2013

I don't really see what the big deal is.  

Both PSN Summer Sale and Steam Summer Sale are pretty good this year for sure (although personally on PSN sale nothing interested me this year.)  Steam just has a larger "volume" of games on sale.  Lets not kid ourselves though as I think that both Sony & Microsoft definitely took notice on how Steam does their annual digital sales coupled with probably a decent amount of console gamers wanting a piece of the "deep discount" good life that PC has enjoyed for quite some time.

I think both PSN and Xbox Live will eventually start to have sales that rival Steam year in and year out but I agree with some other posters that its gonna take some time.  The digital downloading of games and having these storefront sales is still a work in progress for consoles.  An example IMO would be that BIG Sales (holiday sales come to mind) should be sales and not have 'better discount' restrictions for members only like a PS+ b/c its really a once a year thing so give the $5 deep discount to all PSN/Xbox Live users.  This is probably why some console gamers might still see the Steam sale as being better b/c sure that  "X" PSN game was the same price but you might have had to be a PS+ member for that discount to be comparable.  To me that's kinda faulty when trying to promote a deep discount sale for all.  Again though I think PSN and Xbox Live and even Nintendo will get it right they just need more experience with it

Of course Steam has been doing it for years; therefore, their reputation is through the roof in the gaming media, community, etc.  I mean even console only gamers who probably don't play a lick of PC or could care less about PC know about the "Steam (summer, holiday, whatever) Sale.  We probably can't say the same for the PSN or Xbox Live sales at this point in time.  Again I believe this is why the console companies started to take this to heart b/c they see how much the gaming communty appreciates it and how much marketing it can bring as well.

At the end of the day its great for both console only, PC only or both (like myself) gamers so everyone wins.  Sorry for the long post

Message 60 of 77 (62 Views)
0 Likes