Keyblade Wielder
10300 posts

Re: [Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:
what have I missed here?

just that little tiny part after the thread title where the OP is steam vs physical media, not psn

and LOTR is $9.99 on steam

Message 41 of 77 (192 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Absinthetic wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:
what have I missed here?

just that little tiny part after the thread title where the OP is steam vs physical media, not psn

and LOTR is $9.99 on steam

Its $9.99 on pSn as well, with Plus its $5.

I thought it was Steam vs all things Sony as the title implies?   Going back to read OP once again........

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 42 of 77 (181 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013
[Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

Ridiculous prices is why Digital won't ever overcome physical sales for console games. With prices like this everyone would make the move to digital. And don't come with that BS hipster crap of "i like the smell of a new game". PC gamers don't care about having piles of boxes on their shelf. A good price will make you forget about that.

Check them out: http://store.steampowered.com/

No wonder that part dissapeared from my mind, the first sentance makes little to no sense, lol.

He seems to say digital will never be better(Or overcome) discs because digital is cheaper??????  Perhaps he wrote this on opposite day, lol.

He prob meant disc will never beat download prices?   Even that is wrong though as i can buy brand new disc based PS3 games for $5 or less at Bestbuy and Futureshop.  (Mostly Move games but some others as well, mostly kids games)

But i bought Resistance 3 for $10 brand new from there, many, many months ago.

So the title should read:

"Steam puts disc based games to shame, sometimes, although they have little to no resale value which equalizes or reduces the value of the steam bought version, many times to a lesser total value then the equivalent disc based version"

Kind of a mouthfull there OP.  your welcome.

Lastly i dont think Sony sets the prices of disc based games, except possibly those sold at the Sony Store.

Totally fail topic now that it is clearer.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 43 of 77 (174 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
514 posts

Jul 12, 2013
I'm the OP. What i meant to say is Sony and Microsoft want gamers to make the move to digital to stop people selling used games. Like PC gamers did almost a decade ago with the rise of Steam and other services. You are rarely gonna see anyone going to a store to buy a 3 DVDs game, like Max Payne 3. You can download it for a nice price without going out of your house.
With current prices on digital games, that isn't gonna happen soon. There's no motivation to do so. Amazon and Gamestop is cheaper

Sorry, English is not my first language
Message 44 of 77 (160 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 12, 2013

mcbuttz78 wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

JuanMdP wrote:
While Steam comes out with sales at a far better ratio than Sony, MS and Nintendo combined I wouldn't look down on Sony's offers. The Summer Sale was killer, Atlus is currently offering some of their published RPGs for dirt cheap (ranging between $2.45 to $7.45). People could buy several games these weeks for less than $10 which is pretty huge~.

Steam is solely dedicated to this, Sony just has a digital store. Give it time, it might evolve to that level someday~.

But how many of those games during Sony sales are popular AAA titles and/or recently released titles?

For example, Bioshock Infinite is $30 right now (was cheaper on GMG earlier today with an extra 20% Off voucher).

Dishonored is currently sitting at $18, with it going to go down to $10.20 (if not when it wins the CC vote, eventually as a daily/flash deal). The DLC is also on sale, so you'll soon be able to grab the game and all the DLC for around $15.

Then we have games like DARK and Remember Me, that have just been released in the past month at 25% Off (with the possibility of them being further discounted in a daily/flash/CC deal).

Sony may offer some nice deals here and there, but nothing competes with Steam and other digital-PC sales (GMG, Amazon, GOG, etc.)

Sometimes you the dlc free  with the the game on psn.Steam cannot say that. You a have pay for everything on steam  on psn that is not  the  case.

Steam doesnt get  none in any betas, nor does the gamers  win prizes packs. Steam is cheap, i give them  that  but i think dev rather be  psn  to get a slice of the pie  even if  its 5$.  Some games have sold better  on psn than  steam.   Also vise versa.

I think psn  will be better than steam after some time since sony has  playstaion mobile,  most pc games are that popular, are mobile games now  days. btw  ps vita an  psp can be   phone

That is completely false. You must have never used Steam.

Free DLC? Yep, plenty of games have either permanently-free or timed-free DLC.

Betas? HAHAHAHA. Dude, Steam has way more betas than PSN ever does. There are probably more current betas on Steam than PSN gets in a year.

Prize Packs? Many games have items that can be won, traded, sold, bought, etc. During the major Steam Sales, they've also often given away a lot of free stuff, including full games and DLC.

The only edge Sony has is PS+, but we DO pay a subscription for that. Steam doesn't offer any subcription service.

Message 45 of 77 (143 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13094 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 12, 2013

Beckerjr wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:

xClayMeow wrote:

ToXiC_Skiils wrote:
Steam doesn't give you free games

#sonywinsfatality

72 F2P Games

And actually, Steam has given free games in the past during previous events.

F2P games are different.... Those aren't triple a games 

Uhh yea...DOTA 2, League of Legends, Planetside 2, Lord of the Rings Online, Neverwinter Nights, and Tribes Ascend all say hi dude. F2P isn't the world of just Zynga games dude.

You obviously don't know the difference between free 2 play games and games given to you for free. You're NEVER going to get battlefield, saints row, uncharted etc for free on steam. Not unless there is some super huge promation going on. 

Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 46 of 77 (140 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 12, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

I can buy Lord of the Rings War in the North for $5 with plus, how much is it on steam?

How many PC games on steam support local coop? Are any of them free?  More importantly are any of them any good?

I bought LotR:WitN for $4 in August 2012. I'm ignoring the other games you mentioned because either they're PS3 exclusives (there are plenty of PC exclusives if you want to go there) or you're talking about "free" through PS+, which is a subscription service, not something Sony offers up free out of the kindness of their heart.

Quite a few PC games support local co-op. Seemed to pick up quite a bit over the past couple years with most cross-platform games having it on the PC version if it's a feature on the consoles (eg. Trine, Castle Crashers). Of course to most PC gamers that doesn't matter, so your point is really moot anyway (I think the only game I've played local co-op in on my PC in the past few years is Worms). But this thread isn't a PC vs. console thread, the OP is simply pointing out that Steam sales (and really PC digital sales in general) are far better than PSN sales.

Message 47 of 77 (137 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 12, 2013

BBurgSteve wrote:

The biggest issue I have with Steam is that you HAVE TO BE CONNECTED to play anything.

Yes, it has an 'offline' mode...  but unless I'm missing something, it still needs to connect to Steam to verify that you own the game.  So... not really 'offline'.

Let me know when you can play Steam purchased content without being connected to Steam.

Completely incorrect. If a game is multiplayer-only, then obviously you need to be connected, but once you install the game, you can enter offline mode and play it whenever you want.

It's quite possible there's a limit to how long you can play without connecting (like maybe you have to connect once a month), but I never reached it, even when I was on vacation for two weeks and put Steam in offline mode on my laptop to play on the plane and such.

Message 48 of 77 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6102 posts

Jul 13, 2013
No he means you have to log in steam every time you want to play a game.

Like I dont have my pc plugged into my router right now. Lets see if my gamess I have on steam (in this case portal 2) work without having to connect to steam:

Program popped up and asked if I wanted to retry connecting or start in offline mode.

And wont let me play portal 2.

Lets try amnesia.

Nope that wont work either.

Yeah. Need to connect to steam in some fashion to play the games.
 photo newforumsig_zps5ec69817.png
Message 49 of 77 (115 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 13, 2013

Winscar_Shinobi wrote:
No he means you have to log in steam every time you want to play a game.

Like I dont have my pc plugged into my router right now. Lets see if my gamess I have on steam (in this case portal 2) work without having to connect to steam:

Program popped up and asked if I wanted to retry connecting or start in offline mode.

And wont let me play portal 2.

Lets try amnesia.

Nope that wont work either.

Yeah. Need to connect to steam in some fashion to play the games.

Again, that's NOT true. I've played several games in Offline mode. All you have to do is install the game (and possibly play it once if there are additional things that need to be installed (like a DX update) and then that's it - you can play OFFLINE without a connection. I have done this several times.

Message 50 of 77 (110 Views)
0 Likes