Highlighted
Jul 11 2013
By: fede01_8 Sackboy 514 posts

[Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

76 replies 653 views Edited Jul 11, 2013

Ridiculous prices is why Digital won't ever overcome physical sales for console games. With prices like this everyone would make the move to digital. And don't come with that BS hipster crap of "i like the smell of a new game". PC gamers don't care about having piles of boxes on their shelf. A good price will make you forget about that.

Check them out: http://store.steampowered.com/

Message 1 of 77 (653 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
8191 posts

Re: [Sales] Steam puts Sony to shame

Jul 11, 2013

fede01_8 wrote:

Ridiculous prices is why Digital won't ever overcome physical sales for console games. With prices like this everyone would make the move to digital. And don't come with that BS hipster crap of "i like the smell of a new game". PC gamers don't care about having piles of boxes on their shelf. A good price will make you forget about that.

Check them out: http://store.steampowered.com/

Herpy Derp... Console games are totally different from PC games. There is a reason the prices are much different.

FiveFourteen
Ask FiveFourteen,Twitter,Google+
"I am passionate, vigilant, motivated, and I am proud to be a part of the PlayStation Community."
Message 2 of 77 (649 Views)
Survivor
2536 posts

Jul 11, 2013
While Steam comes out with sales at a far better ratio than Sony, MS and Nintendo combined I wouldn't look down on Sony's offers. The Summer Sale was killer, Atlus is currently offering some of their published RPGs for dirt cheap (ranging between $2.45 to $7.45). People could buy several games these weeks for less than $10 which is pretty huge~.

Steam is solely dedicated to this, Sony just has a digital store. Give it time, it might evolve to that level someday~.
Message 3 of 77 (645 Views)
Fender Bender
2599 posts

Jul 11, 2013
Problem?
Message 4 of 77 (639 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1491 posts

Jul 11, 2013
If you like steam so much and pc games why don't you go marry them
Message 5 of 77 (630 Views)
Fender Bender
2943 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Sony has sales just like Steam has sales. Granted Steam is able to put up vastly more deals, right now you can get tons of games on PSN for cheap. Not to mention not only do PS+ members get digital games for free with their subscription, but also get great discounts year round as well. Digital on consoles is constantly moving forward and becoming more and more like Steam. Within the past year Sony announced Day 1 digital for tons of titles and many titles are still launching available Day 1 on PSN.

Also, I prefer actual physical copies as well, it's the collector in me and I don't mind paying extra money for a game's physical copy. Although if there is a game I see available digitally for dirt cheap, of course I'll buy the game digital and then likely purchase a physical copy down the road. 

Message 6 of 77 (627 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation Support
5901 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

Hi all,

Off-topic replies have been removed from the thread.  Please keep the discussion here polite and on-topic.  

Thanks,

U--J

PlayStation Moderation and Support Guy @ www.playstationsupportforum.com
Message 7 of 77 (583 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1916 posts

Jul 11, 2013

JuanMdP wrote:
While Steam comes out with sales at a far better ratio than Sony, MS and Nintendo combined I wouldn't look down on Sony's offers. The Summer Sale was killer, Atlus is currently offering some of their published RPGs for dirt cheap (ranging between $2.45 to $7.45). People could buy several games these weeks for less than $10 which is pretty huge~.

Steam is solely dedicated to this, Sony just has a digital store. Give it time, it might evolve to that level someday~.

But how many of those games during Sony sales are popular AAA titles and/or recently released titles?

For example, Bioshock Infinite is $30 right now (was cheaper on GMG earlier today with an extra 20% Off voucher).

Dishonored is currently sitting at $18, with it going to go down to $10.20 (if not when it wins the CC vote, eventually as a daily/flash deal). The DLC is also on sale, so you'll soon be able to grab the game and all the DLC for around $15.

Then we have games like DARK and Remember Me, that have just been released in the past month at 25% Off (with the possibility of them being further discounted in a daily/flash/CC deal).

Sony may offer some nice deals here and there, but nothing competes with Steam and other digital-PC sales (GMG, Amazon, GOG, etc.)

Message 8 of 77 (558 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
28984 posts

Jul 11, 2013

Paying $5 for a game that they can no longer give away isn't exactly "saving" you anything. At that point you're doing them a favor.

Message 9 of 77 (503 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
522 posts

[ Edited ]
Jul 11, 2013

It's not about price for me... It's about ownership to sell, collecting and rarity = You can't get that with digital games. 

Message 10 of 77 (497 Views)