Oct 18 2013
By: BillyOneironaut Lombax Warrior 174 posts

Retro Gamers - best SD projector?

6 replies 805 views Edited Oct 18, 2013

Does anyone here use a standard definition projector for old school gaming? I want to use one with a PS3, but mainly for PS1 and PS2 games. I'm leaning towards SVGA to get the best of all 3 worlds but they have one for cheap on Amazon that outputs 320x240, which I believe is the native resolution for Playstation 1.

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 7 (805 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8174 posts

Re: Retro Gamers - best SD projector?

Oct 18, 2013
Actually, the resolution of the PS1 can go up to 640x480.

Then again, most PS1 games are around 320x240 or even less, so you'd get away with a 320x240 projector for most retro gaming.

Be warned though, 320x240 blown up at a large size using a projector will really make you miss HDTV. Smiley Tongue
Message 2 of 7 (794 Views)
Fender Bender
3428 posts

Oct 18, 2013

Never really messed with Projectors.  I can tell you that a high-quality CRT TV can produce some fantastic image quality from SD sources.  Especially if you are coming from 480i sources like PS2, Gamecube, and similar; the image quality on CRTs trumps the current crop of HDTVs.  In the past I used a 30" Sony Wega CRT HDTV, and it really did wonders for older non-HD content, and for whatever HD flat-screens these days don't hold a candle to it in regards to SD sources.

Really though, I think maybe just going the route of emulation and upscaling would be your best bet in this day and age.

Message 3 of 7 (786 Views)
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Oct 19, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:
Actually, the resolution of the PS1 can go up to 640x480.

Then again, most PS1 games are around 320x240 or even less, so you'd get away with a 320x240 projector for most retro gaming.

Be warned though, 320x240 blown up at a large size using a projector will really make you miss HDTV. Smiley Tongue

Hmm therein lies the problem. I guess 480 would be the best comprimise.

Message 4 of 7 (771 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Oct 19, 2013

I need help...can someone please send me a message? It's about all of my friends on PNS being gone...

Message 5 of 7 (769 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Oct 19, 2013

wegawhale wrote:

Never really messed with Projectors.  I can tell you that a high-quality CRT TV can produce some fantastic image quality from SD sources.  Especially if you are coming from 480i sources like PS2, Gamecube, and similar; the image quality on CRTs trumps the current crop of HDTVs.  In the past I used a 30" Sony Wega CRT HDTV, and it really did wonders for older non-HD content, and for whatever HD flat-screens these days don't hold a candle to it in regards to SD sources.

Really though, I think maybe just going the route of emulation and upscaling would be your best bet in this day and age.

Oh believe me I'd love to go with a nice 50" projection crt. It's just not practical right now. At least not until I get my game shrine up and running.

I've ripped some old PS2 dvds and tried a few different outputs but they still look a touch weird, even on an older laptop. Call me fussy.

Message 6 of 7 (767 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Lombax Warrior
174 posts

Oct 19, 2013

Probably going to go with this baby at some point. I'll let you guys know if it's decent or not. Can't go wrong for 200 bones.

http://www.amazon.com/FAVI-Entertainment-RioHD-LED-2-Mini-Projector/dp/B0033QJLQW/ref=sr_sp-atf_titl...

PLUS I realized that if I put up a bedsheet that has thin black & white lines I can replicate the scanline effect. When I find the perfect print I'm going to staple it to a giant canvas to make the screen.

Message 7 of 7 (756 Views)
0 Likes