Retailers Push Amazon on Taxes

11 replies 60 views Edited Mar 19, 2011
Message 1 of 12 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8181 posts

Re: Retailers Push Amazon on Taxes

Mar 19, 2011

It's ironic that WalMart wants to push taxes on Amazon for "Main Street Fairness" when they destroyed Local buisnesses around every store they open.

Message 2 of 12 (60 Views)
Survivor
2801 posts

Mar 19, 2011

I'm not at all surprised that Wal-Mart, Best Buy, Sears and, Home Depot have a hand in this "Main Street Fairness" greed fest. I am suprised that Target added their name to this three-ring circus, I thought they were better than Wal-Mart. I can see how this would put a pinch on consumers who live in the states where Amazon has a physical presence.Goodness knows the sales tax in most states is outrageous. In New Mexico we a gross receipts tax, and it varies from city to city, town to town, and municipality to municipality. In Albuquerque alone (where I live) the gross receipts tax is 7%, meaning the cost of a $60 game w/ tax is $64.19.

I don't know that it would affect New Mexico as Amazon doesn't have a physical presence here. As for affiliates in New Mexico, I don't know if there are any. All I know is that with the prices of products typically tend to be cheaper online than in-store. All of the games I've got pre-ordered are through Amazon and I have one game pre-ordered through Newegg. As long as Amazon is offering better deals for games online, I'll continue to buy my new games through them. Newegg doesn't charge sales tax in most states either.

Message 3 of 12 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Mar 19, 2011

That's so messed up. I hate the idea of taxes altogether.

If sales tax would be added to the already labelled price, I'd be fine, but calculating it after the fact, is not. I know in some countries, the price of, say $20 for a blu-ray movie would have the sales tax added to it, and it's not like $20 + x% of $20.

Walmart and all those other companies are just butthurt.

Photobucket

Message 4 of 12 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6512 posts

Mar 19, 2011

That sucks.

Message 5 of 12 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
9918 posts

Mar 19, 2011

I never understood most cases like this. Actual storefronts arguing their prices are high because they're storefronts and complaining that online retailers don't have to charge tax.. It's almost as if they don't realize building a website is an option for them too.

raul777him wrote:

Toyhammer must be suffering of depression right now.

Nice.. nice. Well played, sir.

Message 6 of 12 (60 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8181 posts

Apr 27, 2013
I know this is an old thread, but BUMP.

http://gizmodo.com/5995447/why-amazon-wants-to-make-you-pay-sales-tax

Looks like the era of Tax-free internet shopping is coming to an end.

--------------

That said, I still stand by my old comment up there, it's not online shopping killing the "Mom and Pop" stores, but Wal-Mart and friends who regularly undercut said stores.
Message 7 of 12 (57 Views)
Big Daddy
16939 posts

Apr 28, 2013

Good update.

Im really hoping this dies in the Senate.

I've saved A TON of money by buying most of my items online. 

Furiously Chaosing
Message 8 of 12 (45 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

Apr 28, 2013

meh, this is no issue to me as California already passed a law last year that requires all of those type of sites to charge sales tax.

now you all can feel my pain! Smiley Tongue

Message 9 of 12 (42 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Apr 28, 2013

Any time any recent law, tax, bill, movement, petition, or anything else has "Fairness" in it, I'm against it.  You might as well make a Stab Your Eye Out Fairness Law.  Having two eyse isn't fair to peope with one eye, is it?  Likewise, laws against thievery are unfair to kleptomaniacs.  You enjoying yourself for once is unfair to people who want you to be miserable.

The word "fair" is one of the most relative words there is.  It's never defined, but ALWAYS used to make anyone who opposes it "unfair".  How DARE you be against fairness?  Much like laws meant "for the sake of the children" but never really are, the concept of "fairness" is being rammed down our throats to force us to agree to things that we would never choose otherwise.

The only "fair" thing I've seen recently that I like is the Fair Tax, where everyone pays 10% with no deductions.  I don't like the idea of it being waved for poor people because everyone should have skin in the game.  If you're not paying taxes, then you won't be properly outraged when the government wastes the money it forced you to pay in taxes.  But if you pay no taxes at all, you couldn't care less if they waste someone else's money on goofy things every year.

Other than that, I can't think of any other examples of a "fair" bill anywhere that they want to pass.  It's all a lie, and all of it eventually hurts We The People.

Message 10 of 12 (31 Views)
0 Likes