Welcoming Committee
37248 posts

Re: Recommend me some Sci-Fi Series

Dec 23, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

Lately, been kind of interested in jumping into a new Sci-Fi series and was looking for some recommendations to see what would be a good series to jump into.  These are past ones I've watched and enjoyed:

• Stargate SG-1
  • Stargate Atlantis
  • Stargate Universe*
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Caprica*
  • X-Files**
  • Doctor Who* (the one with Amy Pond so the most recent?)
  • Firefly

* - In SGU & Caprica's case, I was with the series until the announcements that they were being cancelled at which point, I skipped out on the final few episodes.  For Doctor Who, I was watching the series with Amy Pond and stopped at an episode (think the next episode was about Amy aging and I think I recall seeing a giant Chess board/game).  So as it stands, need to get back into that.  I'm also thinking of going back and getting into some of the other incarnations of the Doctor.

The thing I didn't like about SGU was that it never really went anywahere.  It was all serious BSG-ish drama but not a lot of cool stuff.  They didn't do much better toward the end.

Caprica stayed pretty good until the end, but the final few episodes didn't air like the rest.  They were posted online as webisodes and I never got around to seeing them.

Doctor Who got better and better throughout the Amy Pond saga.  I got as far as the episode where all of time was happening at once.  Good stuff.  Much better than SGU or Caprica.

Some of the series I was eying to watch from the past are Babylon 5, Farscape and Star Trek.  For Star Trek, I enjoyed the newest movie and with the sequel on the way, was looking to get more into the series but have no clue where to start.  Kind of don't have an interest of going *that* far back so I'm looking at Deep Space 9, The Next Generation, Voyager and maybe even Enterprise.  I've watched a few scattered episodes of TNG and Voyager over the years when they were on late night (TNG most recently on BBCA - maybe even the same for DS9?) but that's about it.  Worth the investment and if so, which one to start with?  SyFy is showing a Star Trek movies marathon today and tomorrow so I was going to tune into that.

Star Trek series in descending order of awesomeness:

Next Generation (except first season)

Voyager (except most of first season)

Original series

Enterprise and DS9

DS9 was a blatant phoned-in copy of Babylon 5.

I know a lot of people really loved Enterprise but that was just the sad result of there being no other Star Trek on at the time.  The Vulcan wasn't anywhere near as hot as everyone said.  It was kinda pathetic, like the Star Wars prequels. Example:  They interfered with another civilization's development, which would be a violation of the Prime Directive in later serieses, but this was before they had a Prime Directive.  And then they were talking about it, saying, "Maybe some day there will be a Directive preventing this sort of thing."  Seriously?  So lame.

Gonna need opinions on Babylon 5 and Farscape as well as I have literally nothing to really go off of with either one.  I know my dad used to watch Babylon 5 when it was on the air and I remember a few particular characters/actors (or their faces) but that's about it. 

Babylon 5 was really good at the time, especially in comparison to Deep Space 9, which as I stated earlier was a total rip-off of B5.  By today's standards, the CGI looks weak, and the plot tends to get slow.  This was the first show I watched where they planned for a limited run (5 years) because that would tell the full story.  They got canceled halfway through the 4th season, so they crammed all the plot from season 5 into season 4.  The tail end of season 4 has a lot of great action as a result.  But then they got picked back up on another network for another season.  Unfortunately the story had already been told, so season 5 was incredibly weak.

B5 has a spin-off series Excalibur that was really bad.

There were several B5 Tv-movies.  They started great and went downhill from there.  I fully recommend "In the Beginning" as it tells the story of the great war that happened just before the series started.  However, there are spoilers in this TV-movie, so I would say to watch the main series first.  "River of Souls" was about OK.  The rest were crap.

Anything that hasn't been mentioned would be welcome as well Smiley Happy

This might be a stretch to call it "sci-fi" but I've recently picked up the cartoon series Adventure Time.  I didn't want to like it but I accidentally saw part of an episode and got hooked.  The reason I call it sci-fi (spoilers)

Spoiler
is that it all takes place in a post-apocalyptic future where the world as we know it has been destroyed.  However, the animation is so zany and the story is all told from the eyes of a young boy.  So instead of thinking of it as a post-apocalyptic wasteland, he sees it all as an excuse to have endless adventures.  So far I've only seen glimpses into any explanations of how or why the world was partially blown apart.

And of course, let's not forget the best sci-fi show of our time.

FRINGE!  The series is almost over.  It's like X-Files on steroids.  Seriously awesome show.  If you have not seen it, then you need to go back and get schooled.

Unlike the X-Files where the evidence always disappears and nobody believes Scully and Moulder, on Fringe they always get a sample of whatever and take it back to the lab.  In the lab they happen to have a mad scientist on the team.  But not just any mad scientist.  He's a brilliantly insane mad scientist who operates a kooky laboratory where nearly anything can happen.  He can understand just about anything and harness any strange technology for our benefit.  This would be Dr. Walter Bishop.

Also, unlike the X-Files, there is a progression to the show.  It's not just random weirdness thrown at your TV screen every week.  Patterns begin to develop.  Dr. Bishop's checkered past comes to light.  The people behind the weirdness are identified and exposed.  I am truly saddened that they are ending this show, but at least they are planning for a big blowout finale that will resolve most of the problems.  In other words, they won't end it with Gilligan still stuck on the island.

If you like sci-fi, you must watch Fringe.

(mini-spoilers)

BTW in the first season there is this annoying FBI agent who loves Olivia and gets killed in like the first 5 seconds.  He keeps coming back to haunt her for a while, but they eventually get rid of him.  So don't worry if you hate him and it annoys you.  He'll be gone soon enough.

Message 11 of 28 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 23, 2012
Something was off about SGU compared to the other 2 but I enjoyed it for what it was (could have done without the end of the episode montages though). I didn't mind the serious tone but it was something else about the formula. I guess I wanted a bit more exploration out of it like with SG-1 and SGA (still hate that SGA never got the movies that were promised and they cut SG-1 short too but I fell out of SG-1 when they started replacing people like O'Neil)

Having watched the Star Trek movies yesterday, I'm kind of interested in the original crew (Kirk, Spock, Scotty, Sulu, Uhara, etc.). I think I enjoyed the movies featuring them a bit more and want to see how things got up to the movies (I know some of them lead into one another like Wrath of Khan leads to Search for Spock and that leads into Voyage Home (?)). Guess I want to see where it all started. If I start from there though, may as well go chronologically at that point (TNG > DS9 > Voyager?). Enterprise I'll leave up in the air I guess.

I've seen a few clips on Youtube of B5's CGI and it's not off-putting for me so I'm good on that front. Will have to watch a few episodes though to gauge if the 'slow plot' is. Guess I have to look up a timeline for watching the series and movies (like BSG)?

Adventure Time...eh, can go either way. Speaking of that though, since it's on Cartoon Network, does Clone Wars come highly recommended by anyone? I enjoy the Star Wars universe and the idea it's during a the time when the Jedi are still around in a good number (this is one of the things I liked about AOTC/Republic Commando before things went to Hell in the 3rd movie with the Clones being turned against the Jedi). If the series continues though, I guess it'll be on Disney if CN didn't lock up future seasons.

Fringe I watched the few episodes of so I think I remember the guy you're talking about. Been wanting to see where this went and since it's wrapping up, now would probably be a good time since it'd be done and I can enjoy it in it's entirety.

I actually didn't mind that about the X-Files. I liked getting a bit of supernatural/urban legends/myths mixed in with the alien stuff.

Message 12 of 28 (122 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
10644 posts

Dec 24, 2012
Fringe,
Walking dead,
Sons of anarchy (not sci fi but still a good show)
Message 13 of 28 (105 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 26, 2012

Decided to catch up on Doctor Who, watching the final 4 episodes in that 'season/series' (6) I missed (ending with River and the Doctor getting married and how time existed all at once in one reality) so I'm going to get to work on the next.  I saw 2 episodes on BBC America during their marathon yesterday so I already know what sadly happens to Amy & Rory and know that he's going to exploring the mystery about Claire Oswin Oswald after the events in the Snowmen Christmas Special so I'm looking forward to that.

buckallmighty wrote:
Fringe,
Walking dead,
Sons of anarchy (not sci fi but still a good show)

I'm probably going to go ahead and get started on Fringe again.  5 seasons and just get it out of the way.

Walking Dead I stopped watching...in S2?  I know I watched all of S1 but I keep hearing how S2 really is the low point for the series but S3 picks it back up.  I don't remember what season it was in but I think the last episode I watched involved a herd of zombies on the road.  That's what I last remember and I think that was the S2 premiere if I remember right.

Yeah, SOA isn't Sci-Fi but I was watching it.  Made it up to S3 I think where the new taskforce and Sheriff were introduced but I remember trying to look up something about the show (SAMCRO?) and one of the Google Results was a big f'n spoiler that kind of took the wind out of my sails for going forward (a character death).  It was in the header of the results and in the little bit of text they give you for links, it says "*SPOILER!!!* Do not read any further..." or something to that effect which is ridiculous when the spoiler was in the freaking title of the article/search results.  Might get around back to it.

Message 14 of 28 (86 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Dec 26, 2012

why has no one mentioned LOST? Smiley Mad

Message 15 of 28 (82 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 26, 2012

the_original_se wrote:

Are you recommending it?  I hear I need a notepad to watch that one.

Message 16 of 28 (79 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34148 posts

Dec 26, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

one of the best tv shows of all time.

and youll be fine following it. if i was, then you should be. although things tend to get confusing with the time travel stuff, but thats expected. Smiley Very Happy

Message 17 of 28 (76 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 27, 2012

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

one of the best tv shows of all time.

and youll be fine following it. if i was, then you should be. although things tend to get confusing with the time travel stuff, but thats expected. Smiley Very Happy

The more I watch stuff based on time travel, the more I hate the concept itself (just coming off Doctor Who as mentioned).  Just seeing stuff looped back around in trying to explain it all pisses me off at times.  The Terminator series pisses me off for instance with the way Skynet & The Resistance have tried sending people back into the past which create their own presents/the future that they despise so much/trying to prevent.  I feel like I need a chart with most time travel stuff.

Looper was decent on this front though.  Pretty straightforward.

Guess I'll put LOST on the list.  Heard the ending kind of fizzles out with answering stuff (NOTE: I don't know how the series ends or generally what it's about but I've only heard that it leaves stuff unanswered or confusing).

Message 18 of 28 (72 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8128 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

There was a scifi show that I enjoyed back in the 90's called "Sliders" that lasted for about 5 years (1995-2000). it used to air it on FOX and then moved to the SciFi channel (now SyFy). The last season was a stinker since Jerry O' Connell left. It currently airs on the HUB channel. 

And Fringe is good. Don't know why you watched a few and then stopped watching. Time to catch up. Ironically its a SciFi show thats airing on Fox and FOX gave the show several chances which is a plus and will get a proper ending. Great to see it celebrating 100 episodes on January.  

I also recommend Haven, Lost Girl and Warehouse 13 on SyFy. Interesting thing about the protagonist of Haven, Emily Rose did the voiceover for Elena Fisher from the Uncharted games. In one of the Haven episodes a few weeks ago, Nolan North (Nathan Drake) was a guest star on the show.  

Message 19 of 28 (62 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 27, 2012

nov2rem wrote:

There was a scifi show that I enjoyed back in the 90's called "Sliders" that lasted for about 5 years (1995-2000). it used to air it on FOX and then moved to the SciFi channel (now SyFy). The last season was a stinker since Jerry O' Connell left. It currently airs on the HUB channel. 

And Fringe is good. Don't know why you watched a few and then stopped watching. Time to catch up. Ironically its a SciFi show thats airing on Fox and FOX gave the show several chances which is a plus and will get a proper ending. Great to see it celebrating 100 episodes on January.  

I also recommend Haven, Lost Girl and Warehouse 13 on SyFy. Interesting thing about the protagonist of Haven, Emily Rose did the voiceover for Elena Fisher from the Uncharted games. In one of the Haven episodes a few weeks ago, Nolan North (Nathan Drake) was a guest star on the show.  

Can't stand Jerry O'Connell.  At all.

I enjoyed what I saw of Fringe but can't remember why I stopped watching it.  I think I got sidetracked with something else.  I'm glad to see FOX has kept it as long as they have as they've canned a lot of other shows I've enjoyed (Terra Nova, Firefly although I got into this later after it was off the air but still mad that it had so few episodes, Lie to Me, Sarah Connor Chronicles and I'm missing something else).

Already watching Lost Girl, waiting for the new season to start next month.  Haven I haven't looked into so maybe I'll watch an episode or two and see if I like it.  Warehouse 13 is another show I've seen a few scattered episodes of and never really nailed down watching it on a regular basis.  I think I've seen most of S1 actually.  Being Human is kind of the same.  Seen most of S1 & S2 but just kind of sent it to limbo after the siblings showed up (as you can see, this is a habit for me and some shows.  Start them, enjoy them and never really finish them oddly enough till revisiting them later.  Maybe I should sideline starting new stuff and going back and finishing what I didn't finish).

Speaking of SyFy, I'm interested in 'Defiance' which is supposed to start next month:

Message 20 of 28 (56 Views)
0 Likes