Treasure Hunter
7836 posts

Re: Recommend me some Sci-Fi Series

Dec 27, 2012
I stopped watching Walking Dead in S2 as well. It felt like there was no point, just the same thing over and over again.

Survivor of an earthquake, hurricane, and multiple tornadoes in one week. g@m
Halladay, Lee, Hamels, Utley, Pence, Price, Longo, Briere, Jags

Message 21 of 28 (75 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34135 posts

Dec 27, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

why has no one mentioned LOST? Smiley Mad

Are you recommending it?  I hear I need a notepad to watch that one.

one of the best tv shows of all time.

and youll be fine following it. if i was, then you should be. although things tend to get confusing with the time travel stuff, but thats expected. Smiley Very Happy

The more I watch stuff based on time travel, the more I hate the concept itself (just coming off Doctor Who as mentioned).  Just seeing stuff looped back around in trying to explain it all pisses me off at times.  The Terminator series pisses me off for instance with the way Skynet & The Resistance have tried sending people back into the past which create their own presents/the future that they despise so much/trying to prevent.  I feel like I need a chart with most time travel stuff.

Looper was decent on this front though.  Pretty straightforward.

Guess I'll put LOST on the list.  Heard the ending kind of fizzles out with answering stuff (NOTE: I don't know how the series ends or generally what it's about but I've only heard that it leaves stuff unanswered or confusing).

the time travel in LOST isnt that big of an issue. its mainly amusing and just fleshes out the past. its not like Back to the Future or Terminator style time travel.

Message 22 of 28 (70 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
9865 posts

Dec 27, 2012
There was one show I used to watch all the time called First Wave, it only got 3 seasons though, but it was a good show. If you don't know what it's about here's a short description.

"Former thief Cade Foster discovers that aliens are conducting experiments among humans as part of the first wave of their invasion of our world. He sets out to fight them, with the assistance of a conspiracy theorist known as Crazy Eddie, who helps him discover the relevance of prophecies made in 1564 by Nostradamus, who predicted the destruction of the Earth in 3 terrifying waves by aliens known as the Gua. Cade and his allies attempt to use the ancient seer's quatrains to guide them to the aliens' various activities."
Message 23 of 28 (66 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

Dec 27, 2012
Lost is definitely an outstanding series. I wouldn't think of it as pure sci-fi, maybe a bit of fantasy mixed in as well. But regardless, it's definitely a series to watch. One of my faves ever.
Photobucket
Message 24 of 28 (61 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Dec 28, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

I enjoyed what I saw of Fringe but can't remember why I stopped watching it.  I think I got sidetracked with something else.  I'm glad to see FOX has kept it as long as they have as they've canned a lot of other shows I've enjoyed (Terra Nova, Firefly although I got into this later after it was off the air but still mad that it had so few episodes, Lie to Me, Sarah Connor Chronicles and I'm missing something else).

Already watching Lost Girl, waiting for the new season to start next month.

I can't recommend the Sarah Connor Chronicles as a sci-fi series.  The first season was really good, and I was bragging at the time how this was the show that the new Bionic Woman should have been.  However, season 2 was such a drop in awesomeness, almost as bad as Heroes season 2, that it makes the series as a whole unwatchable.  The whole second season was filled with such filler, time wasters, and pure drivel that there was just no excuse at all.  If it was my decision, I would have canceled it too.  Nobody likes it when a show gets too artsy-fartsy like this.  In the case of Sarah Connor Chronicles, it was mostly fartsy.  Season 1 was maybe an 8/10.  Season 2 was at best a 2/10.  I kept waiting and hoping for it to improve but it never did.  Sorry.

If you count Lost Girl as sci-fi, then I must point out the obvious and ask if you're watching True Blood.  It's mostly about vampires but there are other creatures prowling Bon Tempe as well.  This is an outstanding show.  You have 5 seasons to catch up on, in case you're interested.  Rated TV-MA for language, violence, sex, and just about anything else you wouldn't want your 4 year old daughter to see.  I think what really puts this show over the top is the way "regular people" react to all the weirdness going on in town.  There's only so much freakishness any sane person can tolerate, and it really takes me there when I see people trying to cope with what's going on in this plausible reality.  My favorite reactions come from LaFayette, Pam, and Jason Stackhouse, as they have clearly been exposed to far too much over the years.

Message 25 of 28 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
634 posts

Dec 28, 2012

"Alphas" on Sy-Fy is a good one. Also "V" but the new series got canned after one season due to going over budget. Smiley Sad

Message 26 of 28 (48 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42129 posts

Dec 28, 2012

DrGadget wrote:

SlashZaku wrote:

I enjoyed what I saw of Fringe but can't remember why I stopped watching it.  I think I got sidetracked with something else.  I'm glad to see FOX has kept it as long as they have as they've canned a lot of other shows I've enjoyed (Terra Nova, Firefly although I got into this later after it was off the air but still mad that it had so few episodes, Lie to Me, Sarah Connor Chronicles and I'm missing something else).

Already watching Lost Girl, waiting for the new season to start next month.

I can't recommend the Sarah Connor Chronicles as a sci-fi series.  The first season was really good, and I was bragging at the time how this was the show that the new Bionic Woman should have been.  However, season 2 was such a drop in awesomeness, almost as bad as Heroes season 2, that it makes the series as a whole unwatchable.  The whole second season was filled with such filler, time wasters, and pure drivel that there was just no excuse at all.  If it was my decision, I would have canceled it too.  Nobody likes it when a show gets too artsy-fartsy like this.  In the case of Sarah Connor Chronicles, it was mostly fartsy.  Season 1 was maybe an 8/10.  Season 2 was at best a 2/10.  I kept waiting and hoping for it to improve but it never did.  Sorry.

If you count Lost Girl as sci-fi, then I must point out the obvious and ask if you're watching True Blood.  It's mostly about vampires but there are other creatures prowling Bon Tempe as well.  This is an outstanding show.  You have 5 seasons to catch up on, in case you're interested.  Rated TV-MA for language, violence, sex, and just about anything else you wouldn't want your 4 year old daughter to see.  I think what really puts this show over the top is the way "regular people" react to all the weirdness going on in town.  There's only so much freakishness any sane person can tolerate, and it really takes me there when I see people trying to cope with what's going on in this plausible reality.  My favorite reactions come from LaFayette, Pam, and Jason Stackhouse, as they have clearly been exposed to far too much over the years.

S2 dragged on a bit for SCC but I liked getting a look at the future stuff.  I think it was some of the present material that kind of put me off in S2 but felt that was just a rough patch and that if it went on for a little longer, it'd hit another stride.  But that's always a gamble with some shows to have a 'rough patch' and being able to see it through to a point where people drop back in.  So between that, Dekker (loathe Dekker) and the news of cancellation, I dropped it before making it to the end of it's run (once again, like Caprica and SGU).

Gadget, Gadget, Gadget.  Go to the True Blood discussion thread here and look through the pages.  Just do it.  You'll see that I'm one of the regulars in that topic.  In fact, you and me have the last few posts in that thread till the next season starts.  And I don't consider Lost Girl and the like 'Sci-Fi', but Fantasy/Supernatural (Vampires, Werewolves, Fae, Spirits, etc.).  It's just that I happen to be watching the show already.

Message 27 of 28 (46 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8125 posts

Dec 28, 2012

The very last 5 episodes of Sarah Connor Chronicles was way better than the rest of the season.

Message 28 of 28 (39 Views)
0 Likes