Highlighted
Dec 22 2012
By: SlashZaku Shinra Executive 42170 posts

Recommend me some Sci-Fi Series

27 replies 179 views Edited Dec 22, 2012

Lately, been kind of interested in jumping into a new Sci-Fi series and was looking for some recommendations to see what would be a good series to jump into.  These are past ones I've watched and enjoyed:

• Stargate SG-1
  • Stargate Atlantis
  • Stargate Universe*
  • Battlestar Galactica
  • Caprica*
  • X-Files**
  • Doctor Who* (the one with Amy Pond so the most recent?)
  • Firefly

* - In SGU & Caprica's case, I was with the series until the announcements that they were being cancelled at which point, I skipped out on the final few episodes.  For Doctor Who, I was watching the series with Amy Pond and stopped at an episode (think the next episode was about Amy aging and I think I recall seeing a giant Chess board/game).  So as it stands, need to get back into that.  I'm also thinking of going back and getting into some of the other incarnations of the Doctor.

** - I've only watched the series on SyFy, Chiller and BBCA when they air it so I know for a fact I haven't seen the entire series.  This is probably one I'll go back and check out in it's entirety.

Some of the series I was eying to watch from the past are Babylon 5, Farscape and Star Trek.  For Star Trek, I enjoyed the newest movie and with the sequel on the way, was looking to get more into the series but have no clue where to start.  Kind of don't have an interest of going *that* far back so I'm looking at Deep Space 9, The Next Generation, Voyager and maybe even Enterprise.  I've watched a few scattered episodes of TNG and Voyager over the years when they were on late night (TNG most recently on BBCA - maybe even the same for DS9?) but that's about it.  Worth the investment and if so, which one to start with?  SyFy is showing a Star Trek movies marathon today and tomorrow so I was going to tune into that.

Gonna need opinions on Babylon 5 and Farscape as well as I have literally nothing to really go off of with either one.  I know my dad used to watch Babylon 5 when it was on the air and I remember a few particular characters/actors (or their faces) but that's about it. 

Anything that hasn't been mentioned would be welcome as well Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 28 (179 Views)
I Only Post Everything
1042 posts

Re: Recommend me some Sci-Fi Series

Dec 22, 2012
Have you tried Revolution? It is really good.
Message 2 of 28 (167 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 22, 2012

Arkthur_us wrote:
Have you tried Revolution? It is really good.

I actually am following Revolution but it just doesn't 'click' with me as Sci-Fi, although it probably should.  I guess I have a very specific definition of 'Science Fiction' that makes me omit certain shows as falling under that umbrella.

But yes, following it and it's a good show although I'd be more interested if it followed Miles and Monroe (or their history) instead of Charlie.  Sucks that it's on break till late March/early April.

Message 3 of 28 (162 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 22, 2012

Do you like old school? If so check out the Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone, although I only watch TZ

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 4 of 28 (158 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 22, 2012

havocsarmy wrote:

Do you like old school? If so check out the Outer Limits or the Twilight Zone, although I only watch TZ

I actually do watch Outer Limits and do enjoy the 'anthology' like shows but I don't think I've given the Twilight Zone a fair shake.  I usually pass up the marathons that go up on the Holidays.

Message 5 of 28 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
1473 posts

Dec 22, 2012
I've been really enjoying Falling Skies, great characters, cliff hanging endings!

If we took just five minutes, to recognize each others beauty, instead of attacking each other for our differences .............
Ellen Page
Message 6 of 28 (154 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3987 posts

Dec 22, 2012

SlashZaku wrote:

havocsarmy wrote:

I actually do watch Outer Limits and do enjoy the 'anthology' like shows but I don't think I've given the Twilight Zone a fair shake.  I usually pass up the marathons that go up on the Holidays.

They(twilight zone) had stories of how paranoid Fidel Castro was/is and even did one on Hitler. The episodes are mind boggling to say the least Smiley Very Happy

photo 220dee8b-5bcd-4c72-9468-b21cfc72f31f_zpsfd870647.jpg
Message 7 of 28 (145 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
759 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 22, 2012

Fringe is a pretty good series. It's sort of a cross between X-Files and House.

BTW, definitely check out X-Files in it's entirety. I loved that show.

Photobucket
Message 8 of 28 (139 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2623 posts

Dec 23, 2012

I wish that Terra Nova was still on.  That was my favorite sci-fi show ever.

Play-Asia.com - Buy Games & Codes for PS4, PS3, Xbox 360, Xbox One, Wii U and PC / Mac.
Message 9 of 28 (126 Views)
Shinra Executive
42170 posts

Dec 23, 2012

MonkeyDad1977 wrote:

I wish that Terra Nova was still on.  That was my favorite sci-fi show ever.

Was enjoying the show as well but I actually expected it to be canned.  You know, FOX and all -_-

As for other shows mentioned, so many of them are half finished for me Smiley Very Happy  I watched 2-3 episodes into Fringe and kind of fell out with it.  Since it's about to wrap up, I might binge on the entire series.  Falling Skies I stopped watching just after they made contact with the one woman who showed up in the plane.  The sons got annoying but I might finish anyways to see where they're going with the show.

Message 10 of 28 (121 Views)