Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Feb 25 2013
By: Phillyblunz Treasure Hunter 8743 posts

Reasons not to get PS4

[ Edited ]
62 replies 3041 views Edited Feb 26, 2013

1 - Lack of backwards compatibilty.  One of the main reasons to stay with a company as their products evolve is gone in PS4.

2 - Lack of support the PS3 received.  Many promises of PS3 never actually came true such as PSP integration and remote play.(1-2 games only ever supported these features).  But you will believe them again right?  Spend more get more was a promotion that never came true also.

3 - Broken promises made about the PS3.  We had several promised features taken away from us in the PS3.  This bait and switch is the highest of insults.  Buy something for its features, spend lots of money to support the company providing these features, and when you are too invested to walk away they pull out the features you bought the console beacuse of!!  Notice how we have a maximum of 2 activated consoles today?  We were originally given 5.  We were told we could give up all of PSN and lose our entire investment or give up 3 activations.  For those of us with 3 or more PS3's this was a cold move.  If I knew they would do this no way I would have bought a 3rd PS3.  Also how are you enjoying linux?  How many PS2 games did I continue to buy once I had a PS3 just to have them become unplayable when my launch console went down for the count?   

3 - Possibity of not being able to play "used games".  We seen what happened with the online pass this gen, next gen expect these measures to increase.  Owning multiple PS4's could mean forcing us to make multple repeat purchases. (As happened this gen).

I have 3 kids, if we want to game together I need to buy the same game 3 times?  What BS trash. (Not speculation, PS3 reality today)

4 - The unknown.  What format will the games be?  Blu-ray?  USB stick? Some new highly over priced propriatory medium like the VITA has?  Will our PSN games transfer over?  Can the console play our current Bluray movies?  Conoles cost?  Games cost?  Sony lies all the time so dont post that $0.99 to $60 link I saw previously, heck where I live new PS3 games are $70cost, you saying PS4 games will be cheaper?  I think not.  Will they charge us for online now?  Have they finally allowed multiple systems in the same house to network and share content between each other?  Does the new controller still have sixaxis?  Will games actually support sixaxis this gen?  Etc.

I have decided to wait well into the PS4 live cycle before taking the plunge, with no B/C I have no feeling of urgency to own this console.  I actually feel free now, I have nothing left to tie me to PS4 except the unknown, but the WiiU and Nextbox may offer something I actually care about, as appossed to the PS4 seeming to solely focus on Facebook crap.  Get rid of the share button and add a lazer beam or something for aiming at the screen with the controller like a light gun.  (A lazer on the move would actually be a fantastic idea)

cheers.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 1 of 63 (3,041 Views)
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Re: Reasons not to get PS4

[ Edited ]
Feb 25, 2013

I bought the Playstation Surround Sound System and support for that is completely gone. I need a new remote for it and their surround system isn't even an option in their phone line and when I speak to someone they just say, "check ebay". Now my Playstation speaker is almost useless because there were features on the remote that are not available on the speaker's buttons.  

Bottom line is that I agree with you.

Message 2 of 63 (3,036 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
129 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Hate to say you're preaching to the wrong people here. Most of us will get the PS4 regardless. The PS3 sadly has been obsolete since after the PS4 announcement. It's time to move forward.

Message 3 of 63 (3,026 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8743 posts

Feb 25, 2013

GhostMachine1 wrote:

I bought the Playstation Surround Sound System and support for that is completely gone. I need a new remote for it and their surround system isn't even an option in their phone line and when I speak to someone they just say, "check ebay". Now my Playstation speaker is almost useless because there were features on the remote that are not available on the speaker's buttons.  

I just bought the Playstation 3D display for Christmas, it has already quit working and I am now going through the lengthy repair process.  So now I am gonna get a refurb back for a "New" product with less the 10hrs use on it. 

Does Sony just not know how to make quality products anymore?  

Sucks to see the king become the lowly bum with tattered clothing, Sony can only blame themselves for the spot they are in today.  If they do not wise up they can not last many more years.

Now they have asked the devs what they want, how about asking the people who are supposed to buy this thing what they want?

"A console by developers, for developers"   Dont know about you guys but I am not a developer.

Hawkfan267 wrote:
Seriously, there's just certain things that we must accept about the PS4. In time, it may get better, who knows.

dulun18 wrote:
**honestly if you still have your PS3.. and lot of games to go through.. there's no reason to jump onto the PS4 bandwagon just yet...
Message 4 of 63 (3,015 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
11443 posts

Feb 25, 2013
What a trolly thread. Don't buy a PS4, because we don't know what media formats it will use...for another few months. What a stupid statement. And they've confirmed it will play used games, you dipwad.

You literally have no idea what you're talking about, troll.

R.I.P. Off-Topic.                  "Eerrrm."   -BRIT-KO, on the topic of 'johngie'.
04/09/2014 - Never Forget

Message 5 of 63 (3,011 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Those are YOUR reasons why you're not getting a PS4 (but you're still getting one).

If you really paid attention, you would know that at the press conference/announcement, they were subliminally apologizing for how difficult it was to develop for the PS4.

Phillyblunz wrote:

1 - Lack of backwards compatibilty.  One of the main reasons to stay with a company as their products evolve is gone in PS4.

If you read further into WHY this is not possible, you would know it is because the architecture of the PS3 is too complex to even think about putting the CELL and RSX on the PS4's motherboard.... seeing as how the PS4 is going with the PC architecture approach which will make it EASIER for developers to make games. 
Sony had already mentioned in the future, that Gaikai will house Playstation's MASSIVE library of past games... whether or not its going to be susbcription based or each title will have to be purchased individually, remains to be seen.

2 - Lack of support the PS3 received.  Many promises of PS3 never actually came true such as PSP integration and remote play.(1-2 games only ever supported these features).  But you will believe them again right?  Spend more get more was a promotion that never came true also.

3 - Broken promises made about the PS3.  We had several promised features taken away from us in the PS3.  This bait and switch is the highest of insults.  Buy something for its features, spend lots of money to support the company providing these features, and when you are too invested to walk away they pull out the features you bought the console beacuse of!!  Notice how we have a maximum of 2 activated consoles today?  We were originally given 5.  We were told we could give up all of PSN and lose our entire investment or give up 3 activations.  For those of us with 3 or more PS3's this was a cold move.  If I knew they would do this no way I would have bought a 3rd PS3.  Also how are you enjoying linux?  How many PS2 games did I continue to buy once I had a PS3 just to have them become unplayable when my launch console went down for the count?   

Both 2 and 3
A lot of the other things that you mentioned were NOT because they were "broken promises" but because A LOT of the features Sony touted were simply left for the developer.

As for system activations, you can thank all the children and "social engineers" for abusing that PRIVELEGE. It was EASY to steal someones personal information by just "gamesharing" and making purchases on someone elses dime and stealing their PSN ID because they would be getting a few games for free... 

3 - Possibity of not being able to play "used games".  We seen what happened with the online pass this gen, next gen expect these measures to increase.  Owning multiple PS4's could mean forcing us to make multple repeat purchases. (As happened this gen).

I have 3 kids, if we want to game together I need to buy the same game 3 times?  What BS trash. (Not speculation, PS3 reality today)

Have you read the news lately? or even just browsed the first few pages of this forum? Surey you would have known that Sony IS NOT going to block used games....
This is just one of nearly EVERY news source that has reported the same thing.
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2013-02-21-sony-tells-eurogamer-playstation-4-will-not-block-used-...

And Sony had even said that months ago.

Its your own fault for having to make multiple purchases... seriously, you have children. You're their parent. Set the example. MAKE them share.

4 - The unknown.  What format will the games be?  Blu-ray?  USB stick? Some new highly over priced propriatory medium like the VITA has?  Will our PSN games transfer over?  Can the console play our current Bluray movies?  Conoles cost?  Games cost?  Sony lies all the time so dont post that $0.99 to $60 link I saw previously, heck where I live new PS3 games are $70, you saying PS4 games will be cheaper?  I think not.  Will they charge us for online now?  Have they finally allowed multiple systems in the same house to network and share content between each other?  Does the new controller still have sixaxis?  Will games actually support sixaxis this gen?  Etc.

Games will still primarily be on physical medium aka Blu-Ray..... read this... http://www.scei.co.jp/corporate/release/pdf/130221a_e.pdf

Cost of games MIGHT raise to $70.... but the games have to be WORTH it at that price point... And don't act like $70 was expensive... You want expensive... some older video games cost $100, calculate for inflation and you're looking at a solid $150 for a game that can be beaten in a few hours and didn't have much replay value at all.

I have decided to wait well into the PS4 live cycle before taking the plunge, with no B/C I have no feeling of urgency to own this console.  I actually feel free now, I have nothing left to tie me to PS4 except the unknown, but the WiiU and Nextbox may offer something I actually care about, as appossed to the PS4 seeming to solely focus on Facebook crap.  Get rid of the share button and add a lazer beam or something for aiming at the screen with the controller like a light gun.  (A lazer on the move would actually be a fantastic idea)

Once again, if you paid attention to the announcement, you would know that the social media integration is a CHOICE.... NOT A REQUIREMENT to use a PS4..... We live in an era where everything is all about social media... facebook, twitter, instagram, pinterest etc etc.... The PS4 IS NOT a focus on social media, but expanding on the social norms of having REAL friends by sharing your gameplay videos or even asking for their help if you get stuck in a certain part of the game.

Share button? really? Did you also know that laser technology is OLD SCHOOL way of motion? It is not easily tracked. 
With Move and its 1:1 ratio, its better than using a magnified IR laser like the old school NES Zapper used to play duck-hunt.

cheers.

I can't say if your reasons are well justified, but they are your opinion, and I decided to rebut with the facts and a little bit of logic.

Logic, who would've thought eh? Oh wait.... No one thinks anymore.
Message 6 of 63 (3,008 Views)
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Feb 25, 2013

GhostMachine1 wrote:

Calm down.... its nothing but a sound bar with Playstation logo on it. 

Message 7 of 63 (3,006 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
160 posts

Feb 25, 2013

I called them again and they said that the Playstation Surround Sound System was not released in the United States, which is why they don't have a replacement remote. WHAT?!

Message 8 of 63 (3,005 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
15664 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

GhostMachine1 wrote:

I just bought the Playstation 3D display for Christmas, it has already quit working and I am now going through the lengthy repair process.  So now I am gonna get a refurb back for a "New" product with less the 10hrs use on it. 

Does Sony just not know how to make quality products anymore?  

Sucks to see the king become the lowly bum with tattered clothing, Sony can only blame themselves for the spot they are in today.  If they do not wise up they can not last many more years.

Now they have asked the devs what they want, how about asking the people who are supposed to buy this thing what they want?

"A console by developers, for developers"   Dont know about you guys but I am not a developer.

In Sony's defense, Sony didn't actually make the 3D Display. Sony just put their name on it.

And there is a fix for those who have problems with the display.... A LOT of people who have fixed theirs on their own noticed it was a simple defective fan thats inside. Fixing it or replacing it has allowed their displays to become rock solid.

I bought 2 of them when Best Buy had them for $99 each on Black Friday so I bought two of them.... I have yet to open them though.

Message 9 of 63 (3,001 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1283 posts

Feb 25, 2013

Phillyblunz wrote:

4 - The unknown.  What format will the games be?  Blu-ray?  USB stick? Some new highly over priced propriatory medium like the VITA has?  Will our PSN games transfer over?  Can the console play our current Bluray movies?  Conoles cost?  Games cost?  Sony lies all the time so dont post that $0.99 to $60 link I saw previously, heck where I live new PS3 games are $70, you saying PS4 games will be cheaper?  I think not.  Will they charge us for online now?  Have they finally allowed multiple systems in the same house to network and share content between each other?  Does the new controller still have sixaxis?  Will games actually support sixaxis this gen?  Etc.

cheers.

1. As Sony has already stated, backwards compatibilty won't be native to the PS3, but there are chances of emulation and streaming. So get your facts straight.

2. The games looked like crap in remote play, so why is it such an issue? Now with the Vita here there are cross-buy, cross-play, and cross-save titles, so believe them or not with the evidence in front of you, they are pushing it and making up for it.

Here's your list of remote play titles:

3. Name one other game console that gives you multiple copies of one game to play on as many consoles as you want? The option isn't there for you to distribute the game to multiple consoles with the purchase of only one copy. Sony didn't make you give up 3 activations, all of your previous purchases before the change took affect still have 5 activations. Sony made it more secure for developers/publishers and changed all purchases after the change to 2 devices. Are you really complaining about Linux? You don't have a 1990's laptop hanging around to throw Linux on? As for PS2 games, what if you had a PS2 that gave out? Without buying a new one you'd be out of luck, it's the same concept whether or not you're using a Playstation 3 in its place.

4. Games will be Blu Ray. All of your current Blu Ray movies will work. It's already confirmed that games will be price from Free-$60. They won't charge you for online. If by sharing content you mean purchasing one digital copy to put on multiple consoles in your household, yes that will still likely be there.

The new Playstation doesn't focus on Facebook, it simple pulls your name and profile picture (if you want it to), and it allows you to share your gameplay with Facebook & Ustream, that's as far as it goes with Facebook intergration. As for your lazer idea, that's crap.

Message 10 of 63 (3,000 Views)