Jan 10 2007
By: eviscerate Sackboy 464 posts

Read this before you decide on a DLP television!!!!

22 replies 1 views Edited Jan 10, 2007
Anyone listening to the great things about DLP here should really be careful, though the picture is great on them, I almost made the mistake of buying one and ruining any chance of ever being able to watch it.  Not many, but a few (about 2 out of 20) can see what is called a rainbow effect in DLP televisions.  What causes this I cant exactly explain, it has something to do with light and mirrors, but if you are one of the unfortunate few like me who can see this, everytime you look at the screen, you can see the colors of the spectrum over the image on the screen, it is extremely distracting and makes it virtuosly impossible to watch it.  I did my research on this before I bought my TV and read about it and said, "nah, that wont bother me" and when I went to future shop to pick out my TV, I was like, WOW!  That is annoying, so I ended up buying a Hitachi LCD.  Dont get me wrong I am not saying anythings wrong with DLP TVs, it is a human problem, not the TV, but be careful before you buy one, and watch it before you buy it to make sure.

Message 1 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
544 posts

Re: Read this before you decide on a DLP television!!!!

Jan 10, 2007

Way to research.  That "rainbow" effect is common knowledge with some lesser DLP's.  It's the main factor in me purchasing an LCOS.

Message Edited by Flumshid on 01-10-2007 10:08 AM
Proud to be part of the 12th man! Go Hawks!

Message 2 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
339 posts

Jan 10, 2007
Dude.  I have a Toshiba DLP and let me reassure you i get NO rainbow effect AT ALL. 
PS3 60 GB upgraded to 320GB 7200rpm Hard Drive
46" Aquos LC46D64U,

3 Dual Shock 3's Ceramic White and Satin Silver and Black = FUN!!!
Message 3 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
542 posts

Jan 10, 2007
uhhh, must have been your TV. I have a few friends with DLP's (toshiba) and they look fantastic.
Message 4 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Wastelander
710 posts

Jan 10, 2007
wow thats good info man, i just got a 32 inch samsung lcd, but i was really close to getting the DLP because it was the same price and bigger. now im happy i didnt!
Add me on PSN-
SHADOWxSTRIK3
Message 5 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
cce
Uncharted Territory
1665 posts

Jan 10, 2007
i have had my dlp for about 3 years and no one has ever seen a rainbow. you also can see screen door effect on lcds if you look hard enough. very few people have ever had a problem with rainbows.almost non existant with new dlps.
Message 6 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
454 posts

Jan 10, 2007
You can only really notice this during really light times on the TV.  And it is not that bad at all.  Only if you are close and really look for it, then you can see it.  BTW I have a 56" Samsung DLP
Message 7 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Jan 10, 2007
I got news for you, High end or low end DLP, I can see the rainbow effect in them all.  And it is not common knowledge to people who are not familiar with HDTVs.  Sorry we are not as cool and advanced as you, I am just putting this up in case it helps someone.

Message Edited by Eviscerate on 01-10-2007 10:09 AM

Message 8 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
323 posts

Jan 10, 2007

Eviscerate wrote:
Anyone listening to the great things about DLP here should really be careful, though the picture is great on them, I almost made the mistake of buying one and ruining any chance of ever being able to watch it.  Not many, but a few (about 2 out of 20) can see what is called a rainbow effect in DLP televisions.  What causes this I cant exactly explain, it has something to do with light and mirrors, but if you are one of the unfortunate few like me who can see this, everytime you look at the screen, you can see the colors of the spectrum over the image on the screen, it is extremely distracting and makes it virtuosly impossible to watch it.  I did my research on this before I bought my TV and read about it and said, "nah, that wont bother me" and when I went to future shop to pick out my TV, I was like, WOW!  That is annoying, so I ended up buying a Hitachi LCD.  Dont get me wrong I am not saying anythings wrong with DLP TVs, it is a human problem, not the TV, but be careful before you buy one, and watch it before you buy it to make sure.

yea only a few small % of people notice this "Rainbow Effect" but if you do, it sucks. I dont notice it but my wife did so I passed on it for a Sony SXRD tv, its Sony's version of LCoS.

So goto your local bestbuy and shop around and look at DLP's to see if you can see this.
PSN: Stink_fist
Free Image HostingFree Image Hosting
Message 9 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes
Sackboy
464 posts

Jan 10, 2007
Let me stress something I said, in case your literacy skills are very dull, about 2 out of 20 people can see, it is not very common that people see it, but some like me, cant not see it.

Message 10 of 23 (1 View)
0 Likes