Big Daddy
19099 posts

Re: Rain Tax

Apr 13, 2013

Anyone want to post the news article on failblog.org?

photo 683842d5-5deb-4335-8bcb-5b2166398090_zpsafb7b8da.jpg
Message 11 of 20 (99 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Apr 13, 2013

bronxsushi wrote:

If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat. If you try to walk, I'll tax your feet. I'm the taxman.Smiley Sad

Smiley Very Happy

Moble

Message 12 of 20 (89 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Apr 13, 2013

As I said, I do understand the effects of runoff.  When designing a building, engineers must always be aware of Town, City, Municipality, State, and/or Federal Regulations/Ordinances for runoff.

Proximity to; "wetlands" and Drinking Water Sources are taken into consideration, as well as the slope and grade of the natural surroundings.  

When designing a new building; roof Materials must be chosen, so pollutants can be limited.  Give you an example; we just built an extension to our Warehouse Facility.  The Flashing around our condensers were designed to be composed of Galvanized Steel.  Due to its proximity to "Wetlands", (This is such a BS concept, but I will not get into that right now), and the fact Zinc leeches from Galvanized Steel, a different material was needed.  The Town would not allow for the runoff to contain any bit of Zinc.

Once the roof is set on a new building, Bio Retention Ponds must be designed around the property to catch the runoff.  So here is the stupid thing about the Zinc.  The run off does not go directly into the "Wetlands".  It goes into a series of ponds, specifically designed to naturally filter runoff water.  You may have seen these at new stores, malls, and around new office buildings.  It does not have to be as such, but the optimum set up, is a three pond system.

The first pond; set at the highest grade and made the most shallow, just collects the water.  The water flows over a dammed exit point.  As the water falls, it takes with it bubbles, and introduces air (Oxygen) inthenextpond.  Thatnextpondispopulatedwithlonggrassesandsomevegetation.  Thewatermovesinsimilarfashionoutofthispond, intoathird.  Thethirdpondhasthickervegetationinit, suchascattailsandthelike.

This system is set up to allow gravity to pull heavy items out of the water in the first pond, pull lighter particulates out in the second pond through absorption into the grasses, and finally absorb any heavy chemicals or pollutants in the third pond's Vegetation.  From here, it may stop, or have an outlet into surrounding water sources.  That final decision is still based on Ordinances.

So all this is for New Constructions.  Old buildings are not required to restructure, thus allowing runoff to find the low point.  Runoff into drinking water sources can cause Eutrophication.  Bacteria and biocontagent levels rise, causing the drinking water to be less potable.  After all, drinking water filtration, is in most cases, done through similar fashion of the runoff ponds. Of course pools, screens, cisterns, and cetrafuses are used, rather than cat tails.  Just the same; the processes, unless Ultra Violet filtration, cannot take contagions such as zinc and nitrates out of the water.

I understand runoff is an issue, but charging taxpayers to do.... (what?) does not make sense.  What are they going to do, supplimental to existing conditions, in order to "fix" the "problem". Again, just sounds like the tax collectors are finding another loop hole.

Sorry for the long explaination.  Part of my education that I never got to use.Smiley Happy  I dumbed it down a bit, but it is the gist of it at least.

Moble

Message 13 of 20 (87 Views)
Platinum
55402 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 15, 2013

Da_Almighty_Guy wrote:
I actually live in Maryland, so this is going to affect me.

I seriously don't see how you can tax "rain" like this just because nature is doing what it wants to do. It's actually raining right now where I live and now I'm going to get taxed for it? That's really not cool.

I really just don't see how this even got passed.

It got passed because the politicians the people who live in MD elected have the opinion that raising taxes to pay for more government programs is a better route then cutting back on both govt programs and taxes.    In other words, someone voted liberal minded, progressive, politicians into power instead of conservative minded, freedom loving politicians Smiley Wink.

Tax his land,

tax his wage,

Tax his bed in which he lays.

Tax his tractor,

tax his mule,

Teach him taxes is the rule.

Tax his cow,

tax his goat,

Tax his pants,

tax his coat.

Tax his ties,

tax his shirts,

Tax his work,

tax his dirt.

Tax his chew,

tax his smoke,

Teach him taxes are no joke.

Tax his car,

tax his grass,

Tax the roads he must pass.

Tax his food,

tax his drink,

Tax him if he tries to think.

Tax his sodas,

tax his beers,

If he cries,

tax his tears.

Tax his bills,

tax his gas,

Tax his notes,

tax his cash.

Tax him good and let him know

That after taxes, he has no dough.

If he hollers,

tax him more,

Tax him until he's good and sore.

Tax his coffin,

tax his grave,

Tax the sod in which he lays.

Put these words upon his tomb,

"Taxes drove me to my doom!"

And when he's gone,

we won't relax,

We'll still be after the inheritance tax

Message 14 of 20 (71 Views)
Platinum
55402 posts

May 7, 2013

I forgot to mention I'm still upset over my taxes getting raised by the Obama administration after he promised not to raise taxes on the middle class, I don't even make 6 figures yet my taxes have gone up while my pay has remained the same!

Message 15 of 20 (54 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36705 posts

May 9, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes.  It always amuses me when every form of government seeks to raise more and more "revenues".  Even when the costs for the particular Government go down, the taxes never do.

This being said, I chalk this up to yet another egregious act, backed by the ridiculously over funded EPA.

Now; I did take two and a half years of Civil Engineering, before changing my major to Accounting, so I do understand the destruction of Eco Systems and the far reaching effects of "run off".

New construction, for example, is required to have Bio Retention Ponds, to collect and naturally treat run off from their property.  I am assuming this new bill, addresses those older facilities and Homes, which do not have these ponds in place, and have been "grandfathered" into the system.  I did not read through the whole thing, so I am not sure if this was addressed.  I will go back and read it thoroughly.

This being said, it seems like the EPA and the State of Maryland have found yet another way of injecting themselves into the Tax Payer's wallets.

Kind of sad actually.  Especially since Municipal Buildings are "exempt".  Typical.

Moble

If it was up to me, I would pull the plug on the EPA (and several other useless goverment agencies).

Dept of Energy - never produced one barrel of oil, nor one lump of coal.

Dept of Education - never taught one kid to spell CAT.

Dept of Transportation - never laid one mile of dirt road.

Message 16 of 20 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4501 posts

May 9, 2013

The taxes are to fund Chesapeake Bay cleanup efforts. Maybe the people in the state/area are too trashy and litter.

YB

Message 17 of 20 (45 Views)
0 Likes
Platinum
55402 posts

[ Edited ]
May 9, 2013

bookepride wrote:

The taxes are to fund Chesapeake Bay cleanup efforts. Maybe the people in the state/area are too trashy and litter.

Use other existing tax revenue and make cuts to redundant and unnecessary programs first, don't just put new taxes on people.  That is the easy way out!

Message 18 of 20 (39 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3589 posts

May 9, 2013
Taxes have one hell of a sense of sad humor.
Message 19 of 20 (37 Views)
0 Likes
Naughty Paw
20406 posts

May 10, 2013

bookepride wrote:

I can assure you that I'm not one of those trashy people that litters. Can't say that for other people, cause on my way home one day, I saw this kid just throw a glass bottle in a 7-11 parking lot. When he saw that it didn't break, he walked over to it and stepped on it. Surprises me how ignorant people can be. Smiley Indifferent

I agree with Pilgrim and that they should be getting rid of redundant things instead of adding extra taxes, especially one this silly.

Message 20 of 20 (32 Views)
0 Likes