Apr 12 2013
By: PLYMCO_PILGRIM Platinum 55486 posts

Rain Tax

19 replies 190 views Edited Apr 12, 2013

http://marylandreporter.com/2013/04/09/rain-tax-on-property-owners-for-bay-cleanup-survives-attempt-...

Fees will be calculated based on square footage of  buildings, pavement

These fees will be calculated based on the square footage of  impervious surfaces on a property. The rationale is that roofs, driveways and  parking lots create more potential for drainage problems and water  contamination.  Local jurisdictions are supposed to determine how much to  charge per square foot, but in general, the size of the fee would depend on the  size of the buildings and paved surfaces on a property.

This is happening in Maryland.  What do you guys think about it?   I think that is crazy, I wouldn't want to pay a fee for how much rain falls on my roof and driveway!

Message 1 of 20 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
10424 posts

Re: Rain Tax

Apr 12, 2013

[MVP Terms and Conditions][MVP Program][My YouTube Channel]
[
Welcoming Committee][ Motivated, Vigilant, Passionate]
[My Power Shall Be Absolute! #Vergil]
Message 2 of 20 (186 Views)
VP of Gaming
31043 posts

Apr 12, 2013
Next step is taxing the amount of oxygen you breathe
Message 3 of 20 (183 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
40614 posts

Apr 12, 2013

eagles1990 wrote:
Next step is taxing the amount of oxygen you breathe

There's already one airline that weighs it's passengers!

As for this Maryland thing, it's utterly ridiculous, I like too how the 'environmental bodies' most if not all of whom will reap the benefits of such a subsidy don't want to pay!

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Customer Service - 1-800-345-SONY (7669)
Account & billing Support -1-877-971-SONY (7669)
Available Mon to Fri 8am - 8pm PST
Message 4 of 20 (176 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Apr 12, 2013

Taxes, Taxes, Taxes.  It always amuses me when every form of government seeks to raise more and more "revenues".  Even when the costs for the particular Government go down, the taxes never do.

This being said, I chalk this up to yet another egregious act, backed by the ridiculously over funded EPA.

Now; I did take two and a half years of Civil Engineering, before changing my major to Accounting, so I do understand the destruction of Eco Systems and the far reaching effects of "run off".

New construction, for example, is required to have Bio Retention Ponds, to collect and naturally treat run off from their property.  I am assuming this new bill, addresses those older facilities and Homes, which do not have these ponds in place, and have been "grandfathered" into the system.  I did not read through the whole thing, so I am not sure if this was addressed.  I will go back and read it thoroughly.

This being said, it seems like the EPA and the State of Maryland have found yet another way of injecting themselves into the Tax Payer's wallets.

Kind of sad actually.  Especially since Municipal Buildings are "exempt".  Typical.

Moble

Message 5 of 20 (166 Views)
Naughty Paw
20408 posts

Apr 13, 2013
I actually live in Maryland, so this is going to affect me.

I seriously don't see how you can tax "rain" like this just because nature is doing what it wants to do. It's actually raining right now where I live and now I'm going to get taxed for it? That's really not cool.

I really just don't see how this even got passed.
Message 6 of 20 (160 Views)
Treasure Hunter
4114 posts

Apr 13, 2013

My sister lives in the NW and says there is a View Tax on your property if you have a "good view" of whatever.

There used to be, in olden times, Window Taxes. How many windows on your house = how much money you could afford to pay.

Message 7 of 20 (153 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8196 posts

Apr 13, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

Kind of sad actually.  Especially since Municipal Buildings are "exempt".  Typical.

Moble

I'm pretty sure the surface area of the roads are going to collect more water than the roof and driveway of every taxed house, but of course no one's going to pay for those. Smiley Indifferent

Message 8 of 20 (150 Views)
Big Daddy
16918 posts

Apr 13, 2013

Doppelgangergang wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

Moble

I'm pretty sure the surface area of the roads are going to collect more water than the roof and driveway of every taxed house, but of course no one's going to pay for those. Smiley Indifferent

Nah, knowing how things are going, it will be "common property" and there will be a base tax on rainfall plus an added tax that is dependent on the length of the road and how many homes are on that particular street an the width of the street would play a role somewhere..

This is about as stupid as paying taxes on the carbon dioxide you expel when you breathe.... oh wait... they're still working on that.

Furiously Chaosing
Message 9 of 20 (139 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
9610 posts

[ Edited ]
Apr 13, 2013

If you get too cold, I'll tax your heat. If you try to walk, I'll tax your feet. I'm the taxman.Smiley Sad

Here's symbols to copy & paste into your friends list comment. ℡ № ª
⇒⇔ ¹ ² ³ ® ™ ‰ © ½ ¼ ¾ ←↑→↓ψ † ‡ ※♪♭♯★ ☆▲▼△▽◆ ◇ ○ ◎ ● ■ □ 回 〓 √∞♂♀ 웃 유
Ω ①②③④⑤⑥⑦⑧⑨⑩⑪⑫⑬⑭⑮⑯⑰⑱⑲⑳ ㎎ ㎏ ㎜ ㎝ ㎞ ㎡ ㏄ ≒ Æ æ η α β ε α₩£ ≡ » « ¶ † εïз ∵
∴ #’〈 〉《 》「」『 』【 】〔 〕ミ 彡 ッ シ!#@ $ %
&()*+,-./0123456789:;<=>?ABCDEFGHIJKLMNOPQRSTUVWXYZabcdefghijklmnopqrstuvwxyz[\
]^_`{|}~¢£ㄻ ㄼ ㄽ ㄾ ㄿ ㅁ ㅂ ㅄ ㅅ ㅆ ㅇ ㅈ ㅊ ㅋ ㅌ ㅍ ㅎㄱ 을 ㄺ卍∃⊥ ∀ Ξ Σ Π 文 ≒≠ ≡≦
≧ⅠⅡⅢ Ⅳ Ⅴ Ⅵ Ⅶ Ⅷ Ⅸ Ⅹ ⅰ ⅱ ⅲ ⅳ ⅴ ⅵ ⅶ ⅷ ⅸ ⅹ¬ ̄ ±∂∩∀∇∠∧∨∩∪∫∬⊂⊃⊥⊿⌒─│┌┐└┘├┤┬┴┼─
━│┃┌┏ ┐┓└┗ ┘┛├┝┠┣ ┤┥┨┫┬ ┯ ┰ ┳ ┴ ┷ ┸ ┻ ┼ ┿ ╂ ╋
Message 10 of 20 (121 Views)