MVP Support
12544 posts

Re: RIP GEORGIE - SWEET DREAMS MY DARLING.

Aug 27, 2013
My condolences, Brit Smiley Sad. Sorry for your loss. Lost my pet bird, a couple of years ago (he was 21) and can understand the pain of that kind of loss. Still miss him every day.

smdedspace2.png

Smiley HappyRobot Happy/FAQ and Rules & Conduct//FAQ about reports/Forum Team info/Robot Very Happy/WC Forum Resources/ PSN friends thread/Life and Gaming -- My blog

Playstation customer support numbers: 1-877-971-7669 (for billing and Playstation Network); 1-800-345-7669 (for technical support)
Message 21 of 32 (228 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
6219 posts

Aug 27, 2013

As an animal lover and activist, I know the special bond and joy our furry friends bring us.

I look at the picture and see the happiness in Georgies eye's and smile, god bless you for giving Georgie a wonderful life to share with you.

Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Message 22 of 32 (216 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1418 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Im glad my dog is only 4 years old and healthy. I get to stay with him for a long time.

And I am sorry for your loss, The sorrow of that scenario must of been overwhelming.

Message 23 of 32 (213 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Sorry for your loss, bet she was an amazing friend. I have an older golden lab that I've had since I was in 3rd grade, and with work and everything I've kinda stopped paying attention to him, I feel horrible about it..Smiley Sad

"There are no atheists in the 85th minute" - Teju Cole
Message 24 of 32 (211 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
13012 posts

Aug 27, 2013
Smiley Sad
Are you a WWE fan? click here to join the discussion

Thanks Saviorsixtysix for the sig
Message 25 of 32 (202 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
38814 posts

Aug 27, 2013

Nes_Daze wrote:

Sorry for your loss, bet she was an amazing friend. I have an older golden lab that I've had since I was in 3rd grade, and with work and everything I've kinda stopped paying attention to him, I feel horrible about it..Smiley Sad

You may regret this one day Nes when they're gone, remember many many animals, especially pets such as Dogs & Cats give unconditional love any time you want it, take some time to give some back.

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 26 of 32 (188 Views)
Treasure Hunter
5476 posts

Aug 27, 2013

My deepest condolences, Brit.

I went through this almost two years ago.  I started a blog about it, and I welcome you to join the catharsis by adding your story.

From http://kittyparents.com/mistys-story/ :

Misty’s Story

To tell Misty’s tale, I have to start with Pete.  Pete was a loving, loyal, and wise cat.  Pete was my first cat, and he brought great joy & love into my life.  People that disliked cats loved Pete.  Friends often came to my home to visit him.  Pete died of natural liver failure.  He was barely two years old.  I was devastated.

Misty became a part of my family in November 2003.

Misty

Misty always knew when to pose.

She was a tiny fuzzball, barely four weeks old.  I adopted her from a local pet store, who had found her and her siblings in a box on their doorstep.  I also adopted her sister (of no blood relation), Banshee, on the same night.

I pride myself on giving my pet children creative names.  Misty’s natural fur color, combined with her fuzziness, had the aura of a cloud of fog.  I was determined to find a name that communicated that, but was melodic and beautiful.  However, much to my chagrin, every name I could come up with sounded like a football player clearing his nose, regardless of the language I chose.  Days went by, and “Misty” stuck.

Misty was always a small cat (I often referred to her as “a kitten mcnugget”).  I carried her on my shoulder for most of her life, and always picked her up by the scruff of her neck.  I was very much her father, and she was very much my daughter.  Misty came into my life at a pivotal point, even though neither of us knew it at the time.  I had just gone through a bitter divorce, and I was well on my way to getting remarried.  At the time, I was in the Marines, and I had a full career ahead of me.  As it turns out, Misty was at my side through a marriage, two divorces, my decision to leave the Marine Corps, seven moves through four states, several job changes, near-homelessness, successes, defeats, and more experiences than many humans see in a lifetime, let alone eight years. What remained consistent was her ability to comfort me, and show me real, unconditional love.

In late  2008, she managed to get out of the house we were living in.  I could not find her for days.  I was a wreck.  Misty walked into the living room at one in the morning on the fifth day she was missing.  I dropped to the floor, blubbering, sobbing, and cooing at her.  I was never so overjoyed to see her safe.  It was then that I truly realized that she was family.

For a time, I was in a semi-professional band. My bandmates came to know all my animal kids, and accepted them as surely as if they were my blood offspring.

"Oh, Dad... really?"

Fans, travelling peers, and journalists alike all knew of my fondness for my furry family. No matter how difficult the road trip, show, session, or internal argument, Misty was always there to listen.  Being a musician was a huge part of my life during the time I was in the business.  In January of 2011, I decided I had had enough of the many trials I associated with writing and performing music full time.  I made one of the most difficult decisions of my life, and moved to Iowa, leaving behind everything I’d built over the course of seven years.  Misty and Banshee rolled with it as if it was nothing.

The rest of this year has been rather kind to us.  In fact, our family was blessed over and over again.  A new family member, Bojana, came to us in late September.  She was, at the time, a stray cat that lived in the area surrounding our condo apartment.  I do not believe in coincidence.  After Bojana’s repeated attempts to get my attention, she gained a home.  Misty and Banshee, although weary at first, seemed to behave as any cats would.  What I didn’t know was that I overestimated Misty’s ability to cope, unaided.

Over the next month or so, Misty became depressed and reclusive.  Eventually, she stopped eating, and hid most of the day.  She lost a lot of weight, and I began to worry.  With some love, coaxing, and reassurance, she began to drink water regularly, was being more social, and even appeared to be eating again.  However, the damage had been done, quite literally.

What I didn’t know was that Misty’s depression, which caused her lack of appetite, would eventually cause an illness that would take her life. Misty developed Hepatic Lipidosis, a deadly disease.  Basically, when a cat stops eating, no matter the reason, the eventual weight loss triggers their body to feed off of their stored fat.  The problem with this is that the fat can sometimes poison the body, particularly the liver.  Toxins begin to build in the body, and can spread to the brain.  This is exactly what happened to Misty.  I was encouraged by her increased social behavior, but, as I said, it was too late.

One morning, returning from work, I noticed her favoring one of her legs.  I was concerned, and made a note to check on her in detail when I woke up.  I did just that, only to find that she couldn’t reliably hold her head up, and had lost most of her motor function.  I rushed her to a local Vet ER, where I was promptly and insensitively informed of her condition.  The “doctors” on staff gave her no hope, and suggested that I put her down, or pay an exorbitant deposit. In other words, they were holding my baby’s life for ransom.  I refused to give in, and I took her home.  I called another vet, one that a few of my friends highly recommended.  He informed me that although the diagnosis was right on, the prognosis may not have been.  Both vets could agree on something: Misty may never have eaten again.  Wrong!  Misty ate as soon as we arrived home, as if to tell me that she was willing to fight if I was. After that, I maintained a vigil with her all night, and took her to see Dr. Samuelson first thing in the morning.

Dr. Samuelson talked us through the illness and treatment.  He empowered me to take care of my feline child, told me what to look for, and asked that I return with her in a few days.  I did just that.  Over the next several days, I, along with the help of a dear friend (and the support of countless others), cared for Misty; giving her SQ fluids, eventually feeding & medicating her via syringe, holding her, sleeping with her, and making her feel loved.  We returned to Dr. Samuelson five days after Misty’s ER fiasco.  He couldn’t believe her progress.  He was so confident in her progress that he said to follow-up in a few weeks.

Over the next few days, we fell into a routine, and she was beginning to gain weight.  My heart filled with joy and resolve.  Then, something changed.  Misty’s feeding began to get increasingly problematic, and she was more and more lethargic.  I had made the decision to take her back to see Dr. Samuelson if she didn’t improve once my work week was over.  I came home from my last day of the week, and she was sleeping peacefully.  I held her for over an hour, talking to her and petting her.  I put her in her basket, then followed suit, going to bed.  Many hours later, I awoke.  She didn’t.  My baby was gone.

My heart is broken, but it will mend.  Misty taught me more about love in ten days than she had in eight years.  I created this site to honor her memory, and in the hope of preventing this from happening to any family again.  I do a lot of writing in my spare time.  Normally, I would attempt to end the story with something uplifting, but, in this case, I think it’s better to simply say this: I love my MistyCat.  I’d give almost anything to have her back.  If you’re reading this, cherish your family, furry and otherwise.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 27 of 32 (185 Views)
MVP Support
38814 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

That was so lovely to read GJ, you did your beloved pet proud with your words.

Today has been the first full day of not having Georgie with us, the place is so quiet, I know it will get easier, as people always say time is a great healer, but the tears still flow, & they will for a good time to come yet.

I almost caught myself smiling earlier when I realized that yesterday, when we lost our Georgie was 'National Dog Day', although we miss you terribly, you kind of choose a good day to leave our world Georgie!

http://www.nationaldogday.com/

BRIT-KO

CMNTY_SIG_MVP_500x100_002B.jpg

Message 28 of 32 (175 Views)
Last Guardian
8724 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 27, 2013

100_0003.JPGskippy .jpg

I remember the day I took my cat skippy to the vet on his last day. I had him in a basket wrapped up to keep warm. His kidneys gave out. I kept him going for weeks with special foods I made for him. On his last day he looked at me and I could tell in his eyes that he wanted me to hug him and say goodbye. So I gave him a very special last meal. I gave him a big hug and went to the vet. I sat in the waiting room crying a bit. Alot of fellow pet owners there came to my side and gave skippy hug. I remember when they took skippy to put him to sleep. I cryed at the counter as they handed me the empty basket. I hever got another pet again. But to you Brit I feel your loss. My heart is out to you on the loss of your dear pet. Hugs..

Teddy bear hug for you

Message 29 of 32 (153 Views)
Last Guardian
8724 posts

[ Edited ]
Aug 28, 2013

dog-heaven-image.jpgSorry for posting again but I got sad again over the loss of his pet. It hit me hard and brought back memories of my Skippy. Here is one more for you.

Message 30 of 32 (118 Views)