Apr 25 2007
By: elementsk8er24~ Fender Bender 4543 posts

Question about my DVD Drive

6 replies 3 views Edited Apr 25, 2007
Okay i was just wondering with my DVD Drive in my computer it says on the front of it: DVD R + DL. That DL does it mean it is Dual Layered, Also is their any place  icould check on my computer to make sure just in case
The Anti Mother
Message 1 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5128 posts

Re: Question about my DVD Drive

Apr 25, 2007

elementsk8er24 wrote:
Okay i was just wondering with my DVD Drive in my computer it says on the front of it: DVD R + DL. That DL does it mean it is Dual Layered, Also is their any place  icould check on my computer to make sure just in case

dual layer sounds about right
but i may be wrong
Written in very small characters one word, which could be deciphered, but it was hard to tell whether it should be read as independent or interdependent

PSU handle: NewbieSmack
Gaming PSN handle: Mistah_Kurtz
Message 2 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Apr 25, 2007
Most CD Burning programs and diagnostic programs can tell you the capabilities of you drive. Nero ROM has a couple nifty tools if you have that.
Message 3 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4543 posts

Apr 25, 2007

coreno wrote:
Most CD Burning programs and diagnostic programs can tell you the capabilities of you drive. Nero ROM has a couple nifty tools if you have that.

Well i have an Xbox 360, and since the DVD drive for those are dual layered as well, i thought i test it out by putting Arcade Unplugged (X360) in my drive and i recognizes it, so im good?
The Anti Mother
Message 4 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Apr 25, 2007

elementsk8er24 wrote:

coreno wrote:

Well i have an Xbox 360, and since the DVD drive for those are dual layered as well, i thought i test it out by putting Arcade Unplugged (X360) in my drive and i recognizes it, so im good?

Few problems with your test.
1) The DVD may not be DL.
2) Most DVD drives can read DL DVD's, since the standard has been around for pretty much the entire time DVD has been around.
3) While your DVD drive may be able to read many DVDs, does not mean it can burn them.
Message 5 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
165 posts

Apr 25, 2007
what's with the +- on dvd r/w drives
Prepare to be conquered...   by Howard Dean.
Message 6 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Big Daddy
18884 posts

Apr 25, 2007

houdeah wrote:
what's with the +- on dvd r/w drives

+ and - are two different burning standards that ended up coming about. They were originally in competition, but then drives came out that could support both standards, so both remained.
Message 7 of 7 (3 Views)
0 Likes