6065 posts

Re: ::::QUICK QUESTION::::

Mar 15, 2007

Patriot_Fan wrote:

jedihomie wrote:
lol.

Stop spamming.

What do you think you're doing? lol

I dont see the reason to get angry over **bleep**.   It was put there so you cant see the cuss word.  but im no mod, and apparently they dont like it.  so i wont do it
Message 21 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8440 posts

Mar 15, 2007

Jtuell wrote:

jedihomie wrote:
lol.

This isnt AIM, so please refrain from making useless posts such as: "lol. lmao. ya. etc."

Everyone here has used lol at least once. Even you have, don't lie. Besides, it's not like using the term "lol" hurts anyone. Am I right?
Message 22 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8440 posts

Mar 15, 2007

DrGadget wrote:

Evil v2 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hayman19 wrote:
What the ____ do you think the answer to your _______ question is? Huh you _________?

Almost. Here's the deal.
The use of ____ is fine as long as no letters in the word are present. But I don't see a need for you to even use that, as I'm sure your vocabulary is large enough to come up with a reply that wouldn't require a ____ or a swear word.
In the above quote, this is almost correct. But at the end, the "Huh you _________?" would be considered flaming. Use of underscores doesn't get you off the hook for flaming. We'll let that one slide for now. You got in a freebie.
Please use them sparingly. Let's not have every other word be ______. If you abuse this, then we're looking at making incomprehensible threads. So try to show some restraint here.
(I can see this underscore thing lasting maybe two days before you guys abuse it to death)

I know, what's so bad about letting it **bleep** it out?

On another note, isn't the PSU's bleeping system kind of messed up? If people say a swear word with a different form of the verb or noun (like an "ing" ending) it only bleeps the word and leaves the "ing". Isn't that doing the same thing you said not to do?

It defeats the purpose...

Message Edited by Evil v2 on 03-14-2007 07:29 PM

You're supposed to edit your words before you type them in.  You're not supposed to think of the most obnoxious word imaginable and see if the filter catches it.  If we can figure out what comes before the "ing" by its context, we will consider that filter evasion.  So don't do it.  You're clearly trying to project a word into someone's brain without actually saying it.  This is evasion.

Well, there are words like **bleep**pit(c o c kpit, also known as the interior of an airplane, car etc.) that are bleeped when they shouldn't be. How about g ay? It can also mean you're happy. And if I were from England(maybe it's France?), I could refer to a heap of sticks as a f ag(or f aggette).

Ugh, see? I have to edit!

Message Edited by Hofman101 on 03-14-2007 09:03 PM
Message 23 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Mar 15, 2007

Hofman101 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Evil v2 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hayman19 wrote:
What the ____ do you think the answer to your _______ question is? Huh you _________?

Almost. Here's the deal.
The use of ____ is fine as long as no letters in the word are present. But I don't see a need for you to even use that, as I'm sure your vocabulary is large enough to come up with a reply that wouldn't require a ____ or a swear word.
In the above quote, this is almost correct. But at the end, the "Huh you _________?" would be considered flaming. Use of underscores doesn't get you off the hook for flaming. We'll let that one slide for now. You got in a freebie.
Please use them sparingly. Let's not have every other word be ______. If you abuse this, then we're looking at making incomprehensible threads. So try to show some restraint here.
(I can see this underscore thing lasting maybe two days before you guys abuse it to death)

On another note, isn't the PSU's bleeping system kind of messed up? If people say a swear word with a different form of the verb or noun (like an "ing" ending) it only bleeps the word and leaves the "ing". Isn't that doing the same thing you said not to do?

You're supposed to edit your words before you type them in.  You're not supposed to think of the most obnoxious word imaginable and see if the filter catches it.  If we can figure out what comes before the "ing" by its context, we will consider that filter evasion.  So don't do it.  You're clearly trying to project a word into someone's brain without actually saying it.  This is evasion.

Well, there are words like **bleep**pit(c o c kpit, also known as the interior of an airplane, car etc.) that are bleeped when they shouldn't be.
If it is a thread about flying airplanes, then that is accpetable.  But if you just say the word to see if it bleeps, that is not.

How about g ay? It can also mean you're happy. And if I were from England(maybe it's France?), I could refer to a heap of sticks as a f ag(or f aggette).
Although this is theoretically possible, these words are no longer widely used in  this context.  You can just say "I was so glad when I found that cord of wood."  See, no need to use the bleepy words.  When you force the discussion to use words that are not normally used because they are bleeped out, then you risk getting in trouble for it.  You might think it's clever, but it's really filter evasion.  It's very easy to spot this because there is no other point to what it is you're saying.  Take out the bleep reference and there's not much left.  There's no cure for cancer or formula for cold fusion in there.  Just filter evasion.

Message 24 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8440 posts

Mar 15, 2007

DrGadget wrote:

Hofman101 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Evil v2 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hayman19 wrote:

Almost. Here's the deal.

Well, there are words like **bleep**pit(c o c kpit, also known as the interior of an airplane, car etc.) that are bleeped when they shouldn't be.
If it is a thread about flying airplanes, then that is accpetable.  But if you just say the word to see if it bleeps, that is not.

How about g ay? It can also mean you're happy. And if I were from England(maybe it's France?), I could refer to a heap of sticks as a f ag(or f aggette).
Although this is theoretically possible, these words are no longer widely used in  this context.  You can just say "I was so glad when I found that cord of wood."  See, no need to use the bleepy words.  When you force the discussion to use words that are not normally used because they are bleeped out, then you risk getting in trouble for it.  You might think it's clever, but it's really filter evasion.  It's very easy to spot this because there is no other point to what it is you're saying.  Take out the bleep reference and there's not much left.  There's no cure for cancer or formula for cold fusion in there.  Just filter evasion.

So it's best to avoid a term that would be bleeped out, but just letting it bleep is preferred over filter evasion, correct?
Message 25 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
36435 posts

Mar 15, 2007

Hofman101 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hofman101 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Evil v2 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hayman19 wrote:

Almost. Here's the deal.

So it's best to avoid a term that would be bleeped out, but just letting it bleep is preferred over filter evasion, correct?

Letting it bleep isn't good either.  Just choose a better word for it.  A good rule of thumb is to pretend that the filter doesn't work at all and post accordingly (no bad words).  People still get in trouble for letting it bleep.  So why do it?  Choose another clean word that gets the point across, assuming that your point is also clean.  There are several inappropriate discussions you could have using perfectly clean words.  So don't do that either.

A wise man once told me that swearing is a small mind trying to make a big point.  99.99% of the time, you weaken your own argument when you swear.  It cheapens your statement.  So really you're not losing anything by keeping your post clean.  I don't think I've ever seen that 0.01% show up here.
Message 26 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Treasure Hunter
8440 posts

Mar 15, 2007

DrGadget wrote:

Hofman101 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hofman101 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Evil v2 wrote:

DrGadget wrote:

Hayman19 wrote:

Almost. Here's the deal.

Letting it bleep isn't good either.  Just choose a better word for it.  A good rule of thumb is to pretend that the filter doesn't work at all and post accordingly (no bad words).  People still get in trouble for letting it bleep.  So why do it?  Choose another clean word that gets the point across, assuming that your point is also clean.  There are several inappropriate discussions you could have using perfectly clean words.  So don't do that either.

A wise man once told me that swearing is a small mind trying to make a big point.  99.99% of the time, you weaken your own argument when you swear.  It cheapens your statement.  So really you're not losing anything by keeping your post clean.  I don't think I've ever seen that 0.01% show up here.

Smiley Surprised English class can pay off! Maybe I could say, "I bite my thumb at you, sir!(or madame)." Yay! *claps hands*
Message 27 of 27 (0 Views)
0 Likes