PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Prometheus **Warning may contain spoilers**

Jun 18, 2012

I see what you are saying, but I really doubt that David infected a human simply because he was curious, or had any ambition to take over the corporation (especially since it was an actual product), there were many Davids made.

Message 21 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jun 18, 2012

The hologram of Weyland introduced everyone to David who, although soulless, is the closest thing to a son to him. I imagine Weyland only has one David that he considers as a son. Maybe David 8 is a unique prototype not yet in mass production. According to the video, David 8 is launching on the Prometheus to serve with the crew. On the website, Davids 1-7 were less advanced and less human-like. Maybe David 8 was the closest model for reaching Weyland's dreams for acheiving immortality and living on.

If there were more David 8 models around, then it would make sense to include them as a larger fraction of the crew on board. Already spent "a trillion dollars" sending Prometheus in a two year trip to that far away planet. Additional Davids may make better albeit expensive bodyguards.

Possibly worthy of note, Weyland does not introduce Vickers as his daughter in front of the crew. Vickers and David also have considerable friction between them (especially with Vickers holding David by the chin trying to get information out of him concerning the failed head stimulation experiment). May or may not be "sibling rivalry", at least from Vickers towards David. Aside from appearance, they also seem similar with their cold attitudes -- such that the Captain jokingly asks Vickers if she's a robot before they have their private time.

I haven't watched the other Aliens movies though. This movie really needs a sequel to answer some questions.

Message 22 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 18, 2012

My understanding is that David is an 8th generation Android, it may have premiered on the Promethus, but I doubt it is a prototype. I also doubt that Android generations 1-7 were called David either. In the movie Aliens, we see a later generation Android called Bishop. Infact Bishop was modeled after Weyland, as revealed in Alien 3.

I don't know why but all the Alien movies just had one Android featured in the movie, a tradition carried on in Prometheus.

You really should watch the other Alien movies (particullary the first one) to get a fuller picture on some of the dynamics repeated in Prometheus.

Message 23 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

My understanding is that David is an 8th generation Android, it may have premiered on the Promethus, but I doubt it is a prototype. I also doubt that Android generations 1-7 were called David either.

They were called David 1-7, at least for the background surrounding the current movie. See the promotional website, module 1.4.

Message 24 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 18, 2012
Message 25 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Hmm, my 2 cents on David's motivations come from what I know of the director.  He is a big fan of the novel: Do Androids Dream of Electronic Sheep, and was the director behind Blade Runner which was all about what happens when androids develop human emotion.

I think that he knew that as long as his father/creator was alive that he would never be free.  I believe that he tested out the black goo on his own prerogative as a way around his father's control to try and usurp his creator of sorts, much like what happens in mythology many times.

I'm very much hoping there will be a sequel myself, as I am very curious what direction the series takes next!

-SP

Message 26 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Interesting points, had you seen any of the other Alien movies?

It seems to me that those that are familiar with the other movies won't come up with the same conclusions as those that are new to the franchise...

Message 27 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4029 posts

Jun 19, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Interesting points, had you seen any of the other Alien movies?

It seems to me that those that are familiar with the other movies won't come up with the same conclusions as those that are new to the franchise...

Yep, just re-watched them (event Aliens: Resurrection despite my hesitancy) last week.  They were the first horror/sci-fi franchise I loved as a kid. 

Looking up Ridley Scott on IMDB I noticed he is working on another Blade Runner project.  I wonder how much this influenced Prometheus of vise versa?

-SP

Message 28 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jun 22, 2012

I enjoyed it and although it left a lot of questions unanswered, I'd like to see a sequel to see where it goes and how it further fills in the Aliens universe.  I've been seeing a lot of hate for it on other forums and I'm just kind of tired of reading the hate.

Being a big AvP fan, I'm wondering now, with the other mediums (comics & novels), I'm wondering how they'll work in the Engineers.  Predators have been part of the problem with the Aliens spreading throughout the universe (raiding Hives, capturing the Queens, having her lay eggs and then sending the eggs down to potential planets for massive hunts) but now that we've got an idea that Aliens are bio-weapons of sort/a byproduct of their bio-weapons that have gone rogue, do they also have a hand in spreading them?  We got a look at a map of theirs that showed other planets marked and we know that the planet itself was the home for what appeared to be 'forgotten military installations' so they obviously had plans to use the 'goo'.

But as we saw at the beginning of the movie, the goo seems to also be able to create life (I've read theories that because the ship in the beginning and throughout the rest of the movie that the Engineers have are different, it could be different factions).  Is this kind of like how it is with us where the military sees something that can be used for good and tries to model it as a weapon?  The Engineer that woke up seemed pretty intent on completing his mission of getting that ship to Earth with all those cannisters and they kept saying that they were going to destroy us for something we did to them (or just being an experiment that served no purpose or maybe just us being test subjects for these weapons; one of the theories I've seen is that because the Engineers created us, JC was one and being an emissary to our people, the Romans crucified him which angered the Engineers and marked us as being failed/to be exterminated.  That's probably a touchy matter here though because it touches on religion so I'll leave it at that).

I just want to see how the books will work them in.  Humans and Aliens are supposed to be created by them so what about Predators?  If Predators are also one of their creations, it must be seen as a big screw up on their part if 3 of their creations are so widespread now throughout the universe and causing them trouble.  I know earlier theories from the Alien movie was that the 'Space Jockey' was either a science vessel trying to keep the Aliens away from other civilizations because of their threat or that it was a military vessel carrying bio-weapons in a war that never made it to it's target (the latter seems likely now that we know they Engineers were using those ships at such installations).  If the Engineers were at war with each other, whos to say both sides weren't using the goo to create 'weapons'?  Humans, Aliens and possibly Predators.  All 3 are quite capable in wrecking havock.  Humans & Predators use weapons and can build ships, etc..  Aliens are parasitic, adaptable and just a refined killing machine while being intelligent.  If Engineer numbers have dwindled from conflict since humans have been able to travel (2000+ years after the Engineers created us), then it does seem likely that their weapons kind of grew into their own across the universe in their place.  But where are the remaining Engineers that far flung in the future?  Colonies scattered throughout?  I don't see them using either of the 3 weapons on their homeworld (all 3 have the tendency to become an empire and possibly rise up on their homeworld; too much of a threat).

I'm overthinking this but I love that this helps expand on the EU/fiction of the Aliens and Predator franchise.

Message 29 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 22, 2012

Interesting thoughts, but I think you need to delete anything about the Predators from the mythos of Alien. Predator was originally developed by a totally different movie studio, and was probably brought togeather after the popularity of the comic book. Remember Peter Waylend was in the original AVP movie (dieing from cancer), like Weyland from Promethus, this Weyland also wanted to be involved in a significant discovery. However the AVP Weyland was killed by a Predator, wheras Promethus Weyland lived to be an old man. This tells me that the AVP movies are no longer an offical part of the official Alien cannon.

I do agree that there were differment factions of Engineers. The Engineer at the very beginning of the film wore different clothing and the spaceship he arrived in was disc shaped, not cresent shaped like the millitary faction uses...

Message 30 of 31 (9 Views)
0 Likes