Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Re: Prometheus **Warning may contain spoilers**

Jun 17, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

One thing I don't understand is why someone felt the need to intentionally infect a crew member with that goo. I can understand if it was accidental, but to do it on purpose just seems counterproductive to what everyone's agenda was on that ship...

I assumed "Lawrence of Arabia" wanted to see its effects on a human. Maybe the goo would have a use for his 'father'. Afterwards, he became curious about how the heroine would turn out carrying the goo child. Got this Dune and Erasmus vibe from Lawrence.

Message 11 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 17, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

One thing I don't understand is why someone felt the need to intentionally infect a crew member with that goo. I can understand if it was accidental, but to do it on purpose just seems counterproductive to what everyone's agenda was on that ship...

I assumed "Lawrence of Arabia" wanted to see its effects on a human. Maybe the goo would have a use for his 'father'. Afterwards, he became curious about how the heroine would turn out carrying the goo child. Got this Dune and Erasmus vibe from Lawrence.

I think the Android was under orders from Weyland to do the experiment, since he was communicating with someone privately several times earlier. IMO the Android certainly wasn't making it's own decisions about that.

That whole alien pregnancy sequence had flashbacks for me of when Burke tried to have Ripley impregnated by a facehugger in Aliens, so they can get a specimen to study later.

Message 12 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 17, 2012

I think after watching (or before), people should go to this website to get a more complete picture of the world of Prometheus.

http://www.weylandindustries.com/

Message 13 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jun 17, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Ithink the Android was under orders from Weyland to do the experiment, since he was communicating with someone privately several times earlier. IMO the Android certainly wasn't making it's own decisions about that.

I thought that at first, but 'Lawrence' seemed to have his own agenda for succeeding his 'father' and the iron lady. I wonder how much of it was programmed into him, and how much resulted from his own "free will". It made me wonder what he spoke to the lone survivor that came out of deep slumber. Was it really what his 'father' asked him to translate?

Message 14 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 17, 2012

potatobreath wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Ithink the Android was under orders from Weyland to do the experiment, since he was communicating with someone privately several times earlier. IMO the Android certainly wasn't making it's own decisions about that.

I thought that at first, but 'Lawrence' seemed to have his own agenda for succeeding his 'father' and the iron lady. I wonder how much of it was programmed into him, and how much resulted from his own "free will". It made me wonder what he spoke to the lone survivor that came out of deep slumber. Was it really what his 'father' asked him to translate?

I disagree because there was a scene where the Android stated he didn't have any free will at all, I firmly believe he was only acting purely in Weyland's interests...

Message 15 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jun 17, 2012

I think there's a difference between what Lawrence tells others ("try harder"; can't torture a robot) and what he muses to himself though. I recall him musing that the old man's time has come and for him to take his father's place once everyone else leaves the scene. He also tells Shaw some rather sinister things. I wonder if Lawrence deliberately led the old man to his death, but did not expect to be damaged by a sneak attack in the encounter.

At the end of the movie, why does Lawrence want to return home? To run the family business? Why does he agree to help Shaw on a potential suicide mission when she doesn't want to go back to Earth?

I might be reading too much in certain scenes though.

Message 16 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 17, 2012

IMO I think you are reading too much into those scenes, but at the same time the movie wasn't very crystal clear when it came to expalnations.

BTW I don't recall that sequence at all about the Android taking his father's place, I do know that Ms. Vickers was having that conversation with Weyland when it was revealed that he was on the ship. I think the Android suggested going back to Earth, because he thought that is what Shaw wanted.

In the Alien timeline, Androids don't seem to develop any sense of free will until Alien Resserection with Wyona Rider's Android, some 400 years later!

Message 17 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7785 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

BTW I don't recall that sequence at all about the Android taking his father's place, I do know that Ms. Vickers was having that conversation with Weyland when it was revealed that he was on the ship. I think the Android suggested going back to Earth, because he thought that is what Shaw wanted.

It was right after Vickers told Weyland his long reign as King should be over, but she gets dismissed. Lawrence has an aside where he reflects on the king's time coming to an end and possibly his succession. At that point, I didn't think Lawrence intended for Weyland to live despite his programming and unflinching alleigance as a son of sorts. I had a feeling Vickers and Lawrence were going to butt heads over who takes over, but that gets conveniently resolved at the end.

Lawrence also displays some very interesting behaviours for a robot. He kicks back and relaxes on the command chair. He rides the dune buggy a short distance and stops to watch the rest of the expedition team revisit the vases. He watches Shaw's dreams, but not the other crew members -- why not Vickers? He hints to Shaw that her significant other's infection wasn't an accident. He smiles whenever he makes an interesting find.

Message 18 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jun 18, 2012

Interesting insights, I'll have to look for them when I see the movie again.

Did you see the original Alien movie? At that point of time the Weyland corporation was imbeding Androids amongest the crew, without telling them, so they though they were just other humans. Just like in Promethus the Android in Alien was clearing working behind the scenes on the Company's agenda. But there also appears to be safeguard programming in Androids to prevent physical harm to a human..

Message 19 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
117 posts

Jun 18, 2012

i think he has to have free will to a certain extent based on his actions. unless he was specifically programmed to ride a bicycle and shoot a basket ball his doing such requires a certain level of free will. even if he was programmed to entertain himself while the others were sleeping it would still require he has the freedom to choose what he does to entertain himself

"do not pray for an easy life, pray for the strength to endure a difficult one"

Get your Portable ID!
Message 20 of 31 (6 Views)
0 Likes