Platinum
55032 posts

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

[ Edited ]
Oct 9, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
The people elected Democratic, liberal leadership and the people elected to shut themselves up and destroy free speech...

Truth

People vote conservative (not necessarily Republican) as they get older because they realize that extreme liberalism is what tramples their freedom...

Intelligent people realize that neither fully conservative or fully liberal will solve anything.

We need more than two options. period.

^ this right here.  The political parties, in America, are set up to keep US (the people) divided amongst ourselves.   This serves the ends of the overall Govt and the Politicians in it.  Instead of yelling at them from screwing everything up and destroying the future of this nation they get us to yell at each other based off some "political party" or stance.   Its sad to see really.

The reason this tactic is so successful and prevalent is that the majority of Americans are not well informed as to what their govt and politicians are doing.   This is further exacerbated by the fact that 95% of our media outlets have a bias toward the Democrat party's positions on issue.   Many people don't even realize this bias and end up taking the news at face value instead of "trusting but verifying" what the media is saying is accurate.

A perfect example is the "Government Shutdown"   I'll Explain:

The media is reporting that the Republican party has shut down the government.  Anyone who is informed and paying attention knows this is false in more than one way regardless of the Media's and the President's dishonest statements to the contrary. 

83% of the government and federal workers are still open for business and being paid.  For example congress is still being paid as are military personnel

The president is the one who controls, as the leader of the Executive Branch of our govt, what does and does not get shut down.   So while Michelle Obama's govt websites stay online and paid for by the government, our troops who are killed in the line of duty are not being brought home by the government at the moment.       Another example, the national mall and the WW2 memorial were shut down to citizens and veterans but yesterday Obama allowed the national mall to open for illegal immigrants to do a rally.     Search "Nancy Pelosi Thanks Obama For opening national Mall" in youtube to verify.

I saved the best for last.   The Republican leader, John Boener, and his counterparts in the House of Representatives offered to fully fund everything the Democrat leaders and Obama asked for if the Democrat leaders would make it so that all of congress (house and senate) must live under the Obamacare laws.  Right now, unlike you and me, they are exempt from the law.....the democrats refused to do this.     Then the republican leadership said they would fund everything the democrats want as long as they give the same 1 year deferral for having to sing up to Obamacare to all Americans that they had given to big business and unions, again the democrats refused. 

Well I went off on a tangent.  To answer the first post.  You do have a right to be offended and under the first ammendment others have the liberty to offend you Smiley Wink.

Message 11 of 119 (159 Views)
Fender Bender
3811 posts

Oct 9, 2013
Thank You!

Getting Older doesn't mean it's GAME OVER
It's a better idea to buy games for your PS4
Than to buy a New Console for your PS4
Message 12 of 119 (152 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
30942 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Litsa_Kardassis wrote:
I am very liberal but certain conservative views make more sense to me. I, for one, am completely against this thin skinned PC garbage. I especially hate when things said by a comedian or in the context of a joke get people wound up. Get over it people.

I could not have said it better myself

Message 13 of 119 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 9, 2013

TeabagMcFrag wrote:

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

JASONxxVOORHEES wrote:
The people elected Democratic, liberal leadership and the people elected to shut themselves up and destroy free speech...

Truth

People vote conservative (not necessarily Republican) as they get older because they realize that extreme liberalism is what tramples thier freedom...

Intelligent people realize that neither fully conservative or fully liberal will solve anything.

We need more than two options. period.

This. No wonder why the UK is better off. Apart from Labour, Conservatives and Liberal Democrats, there's also the BNP, UKIP and Green Party to name a few.

Europe is less divided by party because they do it based on percentage of votes. America does all or nothing representation.

Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 14 of 119 (128 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4945 posts

Oct 9, 2013
George Washington said something like "Political parties will destroy this nation".
 photo sig_zpsfya567e6.jpg
Message 15 of 119 (127 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 9, 2013

I believe we have a right to be offended just as much as we have the right not to care about them being offended. 

Message 16 of 119 (125 Views)
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 9, 2013

NikeMurphDawg wrote:
George Washington said something like "Political parties will destroy this nation".

He is the only "independent" president we have had. He also warned of political alliances and not being self-sufficient.

Message 17 of 119 (121 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4922 posts

Oct 9, 2013

Rights are just entitlements granted by whichever shaved monkey has the biggest stick. Do I personally think that people should have the "right" to be offended? Sure. I think people should also have the right to suck their thumb and cry in the fetal position too. Whatever floats your proverbial boat.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 18 of 119 (116 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
14608 posts

Oct 9, 2013

semajmarc87 wrote:

Rights are just entitlements granted by whichever shaved monkey has the biggest stick. Do I personally think that people should have the "right" to be offended? Sure. I think people should also have the right to suck their thumb and cry in the fetal position too. Whatever floats your proverbial boat.

So the idea of rights actually does not exist to you. Sounds like a great idea next time a dictator tries to exterminate an entire race. 

"The rights I grant to my people are different than the rights you grant you your people. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Nice. I like the idea of peasants doing hard work, no pay for the dirty peasants, and the right of the leader to execute any peasant at will."

Relativism at its finest!

Message 19 of 119 (109 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4922 posts

Oct 9, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

semajmarc87 wrote:

So the idea of rights actually does not exist to you. Sounds like a great idea next time a dictator tries to exterminate an entire race. 

"The rights I grant to my people are different than the rights you grant you your people. Life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness? Nice. I like the idea of peasants doing hard work, no pay for the dirty peasants, and the right of the leader to execute any peasant at will."

Relativism at its finest!

Oh geez, spare me the melodramatics. I know you're in High School and you think you have the whole world figured out, but why don't you simmer down for a second. You seem to think that "rights" are some awe-inspiring universal ultimate truths carved in stone that can never be undone. Other animals don't even have concepts like "rights" like humans do because we invented them. Rights are nothing more than privileges that can be taken away or given at any time. Do I think that society should have guidelines (or rights) that will be enforced to make sure that we don't mistreat each other? Of course I do. I just get tired of people crying "I have a right" all the time as though that statement has any weight behind it By the way, your "patriotic" quotes aren't impressive.

semajmarc87
My YouTube | My Twitter
210+ Subscribers | 1,500+ Followers
Message 20 of 119 (102 Views)