Reply
Platinum
Registered: 12/21/2007
Offline
55402 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

hannah-goes-rawr wrote:
i'm pretty sure it's done way more than break rule #1 though. idk about any of that other stuff because as long as i wake up with my skin right side out i'm not sure it really matters.


What is rule #1?

 

http://community.us.playstation.com/t5/Forum-Frequently-Asked-Questions/Rules-of-Conduct-amp-Forum-G...

 

http://us.playstation.com/support/termsofservice/index.htm

Message 111 of 119 (142 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
Registered: 07/23/2006
Offline
2374 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

Oct 11, 2013
Yes, we do have a right to be offended at political correctness. Wait, that wasn't the question?
Message 112 of 119 (128 Views)
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

Oct 11, 2013

TheJLC wrote:
Yes, we do have a right to be offended at political correctness. Wait, that wasn't the question?

It is now. *electronic high five*

Grindhead_Jim

Message 113 of 119 (125 Views)
Platinum
Registered: 12/21/2007
Offline
55402 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

Oct 11, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

TheJLC wrote:
Yes, we do have a right to be offended at political correctness. Wait, that wasn't the question?

It is now. *electronic high five*


aka KUDOS! Smiley Tongue

 

 

Message 114 of 119 (114 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14623 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

Kloey420 wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

 

He believes that the universe is not run by laws or anything which goes against all modern science regarding constants and laws that our universe follows. The atomic weak force. The cosmological constant. There are more than two dozen constants that govern our universe and its inner workings. 

 

You say say the gap in knowledge proves all of modern science wrong. Since Newton's ideas were later expanded upon and fixed, somehow that discredits all modern science because there is still more to find. This is just ignorance! 


I am going to explain this one. last. time. If this does not stick, you are a hopeless, god-forsakenly stupid child.

 

It is not proven or disproven because such physics assumes that all particles are indistinguishable from one another.

 

This is not some crazy mind**bleep** of turning around large scale concepts like gravity (that is only loosely explained and not very well understood, even using the space-time model it has serious problems with design), these are small changes. When you deal with particle physics within the scope of the miniscale QM - you have a field of study that, neither proven or disproven, does not verify anything in the scope of QP. It usually occurs in theoretical small changes found in the realm of QFT.

 

Significant changes do not have to be big changes - because once the pathway is open for subatomic particles to change, anything h igher up the hierarchy can change.

 

The fact is that QP is simply bound by the scope of what we can observe, which, in the big picture, is a very small fragment of all of the things we know about the universe (such as black holes and wormholes). Don't confuse theoretical physics with actual physics, otherwise you're in for one hell of a mess.

 

The actual physics in comparison to the theoretical physics usually ends up dealing with small things like the change in isomeric decay.

 

My point has, and had, nothing to do with "something will eventually prove this stuff wrong because stuff was proved wrong in the past." No, it's just that what people thought to be right wasn't always right. The things we learn are essential building blocks for something that may or may not come in the future, but as it stands now in real modern physics there is no proof that there are, in fact, any actual constants other than the temporal constants we can observe. There is absolutely no proof to suggest that any of these things have to work at the same hierarchial level for any variety of reasons. 

 

It's just arrogant, stupid and wrong to assume that because theoretical physics is at a certain point that the actual physics unmistakably backs it up - Quantum Mechanics, and more specifically particle physics, do not support the theory of QFT or Quantum Physics anymore. Even with discoveries like the Higgs boson particle, the Standard Model still doesn't have much reputation for a number of reasons that I'm not going to go over here.

 

You just make insane assumptions based on what you read a textbook without doing any actual research on the subject matter. This is your wake up call, do your own research and realize the difference between actual and theoretical physics.


This is my last reply to you. Firstly because of the insults. Secondly, your talk physics is useless to my point. You are telling me that every physicist and cosmologist is incorrect because you, a business administrator, is making an undefended philosophical point. 

 

And your logic can be seen in summary with these lines.

 

You give a summation of what I said you are doing. Then you disagree by totally going by what I said you did. You are essentially pulling an offshoot of the "God of the gaps" argument. Let me explain.

 

Breaking down your vocabulary (unnecessary when looking at what point we are discussiong, by the by) shows this is your point.

 

1. We observe many constants that appear to govern our universe. For example, the cosmological constant is just observed by us. 

2. We do not know the explanation for everything, so there are gaps in our knowledge.

3. That makes all the stuff we know just petty observations regardless of all the cosmologists, physicists, and more that back this up. This would be like denying evolution to a biology professor. 

 

Who is making the bigger assumption? Scientists, who observe what are able to regarding the universe and can test many of theories, say that our universe is governed by certain constants that are always true with regard to our own universe. Or are you making the bigger assumption when you say that these gaps in knowledge are all relevent to what we are discussing and would somehow disprove every bit of evidence scientists have?

 

I liked your advice, too. I should not read textbooks which are written by the people who made the discoveries, who have had decades of experience and education, and who have given thorough evidence to support their theories. Do you recommend I go to some blogger who knows everything that these experts don't? Because that is what I am gathering. 

 

Let me use an illustration from forensic science. When crime scene investigators come onto the crime scene and finds a dead body, a bloody knife with fingerprints stained in the blood, a lock of hair, and a cell phone with an unlisted number dialed a large number of times, what do the investigators do? They investigate. And, using their small bits of evidence, they are able to put the prints on record. Using this evidence, they find a young woman whose prints are consistent with the knife, whose hair is consistent with the hair from the scene, and the number is the one that was dialled a thousand times. 

 

with this evidence, you may not be able to PROVE this woman killed the person, but you do know some things at least. The woman was at the scene. She had a connection with the dead person. She also had touched the knife post-stabbing. This much is proven.

 

In the same way, while we cannot PROVE everything with the universe, we can make many confident statements about what governs our universe. Even many Newtonian laws still apply and, if not, they tend to be at least partly correct.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 115 of 119 (108 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
Registered: 06/12/2013
Offline
5477 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

Oct 11, 2013

bob-maul wrote:

Kloey420 wrote:

I am going to explain this one. last. time. If this does not stick, you are a hopeless, god-forsakenly stupid child.

 

It is not proven or disproven because such physics assumes that all particles are indistinguishable from one another.


This is my last reply to you. Firstly because of the insults. Secondly, your talk physics is useless to my point. You are telling me that every physicist and cosmologist is incorrect because you, a business administrator, is making an undefended philosophical point.


Bob, the dead horse is in transit to you now.  Have your baseball bat ready.  In other words, let it go.

Grindhead_Jim

Message 116 of 119 (99 Views)
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14623 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

Oct 11, 2013

Grindhead_Jim wrote:

bob-maul wrote:

Kloey420 wrote:

I am going to explain this one. last. time. If this does not stick, you are a hopeless, god-forsakenly stupid child.

 

It is not proven or disproven because such physics assumes that all particles are indistinguishable from one another.


This is my last reply to you. Firstly because of the insults. Secondly, your talk physics is useless to my point. You are telling me that every physicist and cosmologist is incorrect because you, a business administrator, is making an undefended philosophical point.


Bob, the dead horse is in transit to you now.  Have your baseball bat ready.  In other words, let it go.


I did say it was my last reply to him! 

 

This topic went down an odd road, but no matter. It gave some fruitful discussion of some sort.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 117 of 119 (94 Views)
Fender Bender
Registered: 12/30/2011
Offline
3825 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

Oct 11, 2013

I dont know how bob lives with himself. typing all those paragraphs lol, id go mad XD

KZMProductionsGT
Message 118 of 119 (86 Views)
0 Likes
Welcoming Committee
Registered: 10/02/2008
Offline
14623 posts
 

Re: Political Correctness - Do We Have A Right to be Offended?

[ Edited ]
Oct 11, 2013

KZMProductionsGT wrote:

I dont know how bob lives with himself. typing all those paragraphs lol, id go mad XD


I enjoy doing it! I like discussing/debating/arguing.

 

They are tense and full of different arguments or points that can really let me see as many points of view as possible. 

 

I do enjoy spoken ones more, though.

 

Edit: Thread has run its course, and is locked.


Welcoming Committee- "The business of gaming is business"
Message 119 of 119 (84 Views)
0 Likes