Jan 30 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Playstation 4 architecture

8 replies 338 views Edited Jan 30, 2013

We've got many different possible paths to take.  We've definitely got an AMD "Jaguar"-based CPU, which is in fact, a slightly modified version of the Bobcat, which has the following features:

8 cores

1.6 ghz per core

512 Kbytes per core

.25 nm process, soon to be .20 nm

2 128-bit SIMD units per core

2 ALU units per core

2 Load-store Units per core

440 million transistors total

4 MB L2 cache

2.8 mm^2 per core, without cache

It is a multi-core, dual-issue, super-scalar, out-of-order processor.  Which can issue out-of-order load-store instructions as well.  It has a directly addressable L2 cache, 1/0th of which can be locked and programmer controlled.  A Least Recently Used L2 cache program.  Don't let its slow speed and size fool you!  It can issue and retire 2 instructions per clock.  It features 90% of the performance of AMD's K8 architecture (at similar clockspeed), despite its being 1/2 the size.  Pretty remarkable.  The Bobcat is the same - 90% of AMD's K8 (Athlon 64, Athlon 64 x2), although about 5/7ths the size in transistors.  AMD classes it as an ultra-portable CPU - but it offers performance which is better then Athlon 64 and Athlon 64 x2.  Which are larger. 

It's extremely small - 2.8 mm^2 per core - the Jaguar core.  How that tiny processor can even compete is remarkable.  Virtually no heat dissiptation.  Thus - the Playstation 4 will be small.  It has 8 times the transistors that the Playstation 3's CPU does, and 4 times the transistors of Xbox 360's CPU - both of which are in-order and vastly simpler.  I estimate that this CPU will be 15 times faster then the Playstation 3's and 5 times fasater then the Xbox 360's CPU.  Not bad considering it runs at half the clockspeed, is very cheap, and is ultra portable.

As for the rest of the GPU - we're talking a built-in frame and z-buffer, via SRAM.  That's excellent.  A free 109 GB/s of memory bandwidth - cheap too.  That's memory with non-destructive reads and writes, with no refresh.  A free 109 GB/s of memory bandwidth, with free anti-aliasing.  

What are some other possibilities?  We can make the on-chip Vector Co-Processor for the Playstation 4 take many different forms.  A massive SIMD array with little cache.  Fully pipelined with no individual memory bus, or with a memory bus.  I say we give it its own 8 MB L2 cache, connect it to the main CPU, and give it 10 128-bit SIMD FMADD pipelines.  A write-gather pipe.  That'd be something.     

Message 1 of 9 (338 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8181 posts

Re: Playstation 4 architecture

Jan 30, 2013
I honestly think you are a copy-paste spambot.

Smiley Indifferent
Message 2 of 9 (335 Views)
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Jan 30, 2013

He's posting with intent on spreading disinformation for the sole purpose of leaving us underwhlemed when it arrives.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 3 of 9 (331 Views)
Splicer
77 posts

Jan 30, 2013
You people are so incorrect.

Sony WILL NEVER USE x86.

Not in a MILLION YEARS! It's all about the revolution of Cell BE.
Message 4 of 9 (329 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 31, 2013

Thus we've got an extremely efficient, yet extremely powerful, CPU.  It's almost like a star.  I'll nickname its CPU - "The Sun".

Playstation 4 CPU - "The Sun"

Physical parameters:

600 million transistors

25 NM process

1.6 ghz

4 MB L2 cache total

8 cores

Instruction execution:

Out-of-Order Execution

An Out-of-order Load/Store unit (a world's first)

Micro-Op support - an enhanced x86 feature, load, execute, and stores with just 1 instruction

Super-scalar, multi-core, multi-processor design

2 Execution engines per core, Two instructions issued per clock

2 64-bit FP execution units - doubled for Playstation 4

Branch prediction:

Accurate branch predictor

Two branches predicted per clock

A limited number of branches within branches taken

L2 cache:

Last Recently Used L2 cache scheme, with 10% of it directly addressable and lockable (techncially a world's 2nd, but actually 1st)

What's the result of all these optimizations you ask?  At 1/3 the transistor count of the AMD 64 architecture, K8, it performs at 90% of its performance.  How on earth did they achieve such extreme optimization?  

Like I said - extremely efficient, extremely streamlined, yet extremely powerful. 

Message 5 of 9 (304 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
426 posts

Jan 31, 2013

if they wait two months it'll be outdated...lolz.Smiley Wink i spent $3000 on my gaming computer w/ top of the market products in 2011...it's now obviously a dinosaur.Smiley LOL

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 6 of 9 (295 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3428 posts

Feb 1, 2013

Actually top of the line products in 2011 still perform quite nicely; and obviously aren't dinosaur parts.

In 2011 a recommended GPU for monster computers ($3000), would be a card like the 6990.

That part still edges out many GPU's these days.  

Old CPU's are also very capable in games, especially if you are spending a lot of money at the time.  

There is a reason Phenom's and Athlons are still being tossed in budget gaming rigs.  

Message 7 of 9 (281 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8181 posts

Feb 1, 2013
I can't justify spending 3 grand on a Desktop or Laptop PC. Or even 1 grand. Even 500.

I'm happy with my desktop made out of scavenged parts (two of the hard disks were from my inventory of scrap) and an old laptop that I got for free. Smiley Tongue They're good enough for the stuff I use PCs for.
Message 8 of 9 (279 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Sackboy
426 posts

Feb 1, 2013

I play Ultra-HD Flight Simulater, i also have heavy duty film and video editing software (final cut pro HD studio's- it's outdated- because in 2012 apple introduced Final Cut X "a new package") I also have a few other big $$$ software on my computer... i love my NVIDIA graphics card. i also had to have an expensive processor for 3D graphics generation in Blender, and i use autocad for engineering purposes. i've filled up a Lacie 1TB external HDD with "raw" video footage and 3D movies i created in Blender. I need all the best of the best products to keep up w/ what all i do.

/)/)
(-,-)
*(")(")
Message 9 of 9 (266 Views)
0 Likes