Highlighted
Nov 01 2012
By: Batman1793 First Son 17 posts

Playstation 4 and unreal engine 4

10 replies 283 views Edited Nov 1, 2012
With the unreal engine 4 now available, when will playstation 4 come out? It seems like PC's are outpacing consoles and mobile phones are now capable of playing console quality graphics that the Playstation 4 has to be a leap in graphics, to include retina display graphics for Ultra High Def previously known as 4K. Does also mean that polygons can be doubled for the new resolutions? How does Sony plan to tackle the 4K tv market? And can we see new features for sony tablets to mirror content to Playstation in the future?
Create
Message 1 of 11 (283 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Re: Playstation 4 and unreal engine 4

Nov 2, 2012

Batman1793 wrote:
With the unreal engine 4 now available, when will playstation 4 come out? It seems like PC's are outpacing consoles and mobile phones are now capable of playing console quality graphics that the Playstation 4 has to be a leap in graphics, to include retina display graphics for Ultra High Def previously known as 4K. Does also mean that polygons can be doubled for the new resolutions? How does Sony plan to tackle the 4K tv market? And can we see new features for sony tablets to mirror content to Playstation in the future?

First off, PC's have ALWAYS outpaced consoles and always will.  With the ability to interchange your graphics card, and not bieng stuck to a certian format, PC's will always overtake consoles, in ways of performance.  With that bieng said, Consoles will always have a better selection of games.  Which is more important, performance or selection?  That will always be a matter of opinion.

Your post instantly cought my attention when you started talking about 4K, or, what is now called Ultra HD.  I have no doubt that in a year or 2, possibly longer, that it will start becoming more and more mainstream.  But as of now, it's totally impractical to a crazy extent, and is so new, that no average consumer will probably have this tech for at least a couple years. 

Ultra HD displays and projectors have only been out for a couple of months.  The cheapest Ultra HD tv that you can find any info on is a Toshiba 55" that will be out in december.  But with a price tag of around $11,750, i don't think people are going to be standing in line to get them.  You can get a Sharp 80" active 3D LED tv, a sick set of high end speakers and a really nice surround reciever, a PS3, and accesories and a few games and still have money left over for what that 1-55" Ultra HD tv would cost.

As of now, NO Ultra HD content is available to consumers.  The only thing that outputs true 4K is a few PC graphic cards.

But, as i have said before, i think the PS4 is at best going to be a fall 2013 release.  So i actually do think it's possible.  Sony was the first company to release anything in Ultra hd with its projector that came out, and argued with CEA when they set it's industry standard name to Ultra HD.  Sony is quoted by tech site The Verge as saying: 'Sony will continue to use the 4K moniker for its products and will market its future products as 4K ultra high-definition (4K UHD).'

I don't think anybody but a developer working on the PS4 can answer your question

Sorry, but i hope this was informative Smiley Wink

photo CIMG1810_zpse1fd5a4d.jpg
Message 2 of 11 (251 Views)
First Son
7 posts

Nov 3, 2012
Wow I didnt even know that kind of tech existed.
Message 3 of 11 (225 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10163 posts

Nov 6, 2012
The odds that the ps4 would have a 4k output is pretty low, because not only is it expensive but apparently HDMI cables can't handle a 4k output.

But I have always believed the ps4 would come out in 2013. 2014 would probably be better tech wise but if sony wants to compete vs having a high powered console with a low fanbase again then they'll release 2013 at a solid price.

But just because we've seen unreal engine 4 doesn't mean it'll be able to run at full capacity. They've complained many times that next gen consoles won't be able to come close to running it.
Message 4 of 11 (190 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Nov 6, 2012
I think it will eventually run on one hdmi. Maby hdmi v1.5? Who knows? If that is the case, I'm shure they will be thicker cables.
Message 5 of 11 (187 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
8202 posts

Nov 6, 2012
Apparently, 4K is supported by the HDMI 1.4 spec.

http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/4K.aspx

I still think 4K is quite impractical for mass adoption. The bandwidth required to send 4K to a wide audience would choke most internet installations (probably except for Fiber) and sending it over the air would just be a plain impractical because of limited spectrum.

Hell, even sending 1080p at Bluray quality (48Mb/sec) isn't happening in North America. Most or even all of it is 1080i or 720p at a poor variable 10-20Mb/sec maximum.

(Not that most consumers complain about the quality of "HD" over cable anyway, so yeah...)
Message 6 of 11 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
416 posts

Nov 7, 2012

Just a rumor but...

http://www.egmnow.com/articles/news/rumor-new-playstation-4-dev-kits-shipping-out-to-developers-new-...

Photobucket
Crap Box.. it only does everything poorly and charges you for it.
Message 7 of 11 (171 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1712 posts

Nov 7, 2012
I think that a new form of compression would solve alot of problems of 4k technology. The 4k technology is still so new, there is still alot of variables that need to be worked out. At the rate technology is advancing, who knows, it could be sooner than later Smiley Wink
Message 8 of 11 (168 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7129 posts

Nov 7, 2012

audioinstaller wrote:
I think that a new form of compression would solve alot of problems of 4k technology. The 4k technology is still so new, there is still alot of variables that need to be worked out. At the rate technology is advancing, who knows, it could be sooner than later Smiley Wink

very interesting . You know your stuff very well / Smiley Happy.. Im  suprised  anyone knew that hahaha

Mcbuttz78

vp-psn legioniaree group.

Seek wisdom, not knowledge. Knowledge is of the past, Wisdom is of the future

Message 9 of 11 (156 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
2613 posts

Nov 8, 2012

Hmmm, Ultra HD...

I smell Ultra HD Collections!

Deadly Neurotoxin!