Highlighted
Jan 15 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Playstation 4 and Xbox 3 to have the same processor? What about Intel?

5 replies 145 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

They both are rumoured to have processors built by AMD.  Thus - they'll likely have the same processor.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.  Similar to the Playstation 3 and Xbox 2 - both had the same PPE in both their designs.  What about Intel?  What are the odds that Playstation 4 will have an Intel CPU?  Not very high I guess.  Although that would be something.

Message 1 of 6 (145 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Re: Playstation 4 and Xbox 3 to have the same processor? What about Intel?

Jan 15, 2013
The X360 CPU was designed after the CELL, and basically uses 3 of the PPEs in the CELL chip to make up the CPU. The main differences between the two consoles has to their respective GPUs and the memory structure...
Message 2 of 6 (132 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42142 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
The X360 CPU was designed after the CELL, and basically uses 3 of the PPEs in the CELL chip to make up the CPU. The main differences between the two consoles has to their respective GPUs and the memory structure...

Why do I remember reading something about them essentially taking what they learned from the CELL and using it to help build the Xenon CPU?  So that was true after all?

Message 3 of 6 (123 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 15, 2013

SlashZaku wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Why do I remember reading something about them essentially taking what they learned from the CELL and using it to help build the Xenon CPU?  So that was true after all?

Yes it is true, and ironically they got their system out a year before Sony and ended up with a much more polished product...

Message 4 of 6 (102 Views)
0 Likes
Monster Hunter
37 posts

Jan 17, 2013

I'm not sure they will have the same processor, I read somewhere that the PS4 will have an APU, and I'm not sure the 720 will.

Message 5 of 6 (81 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
11 posts

Jan 17, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

They both are rumoured to have processors built by AMD.  Thus - they'll likely have the same processor.  Nothing wrong with that I guess.

That literally makes so little sense I decided to log on tonight and post.  Here, I'll put it in an example using your logic.

IBM had a hand in the CPU's for all current generation consoles.  This means that the CPU that the Wii, PS3, and Xbox 360 utilizes are all the same processor.

The PS3 Cell was done in collaboration with IBM.  The Xbox 360 utilizes a Xenon Processor, designed by IBM.  The Wii has a Broadway CPU; wanna take a guess who designed that?  My sources say IBM as well.  Seeing as how all three processors this generation are tied to the same company; well obviously they are all the same CPU's as well.

Are you seeing what is wrong with your logic?  

Message 6 of 6 (75 Views)
0 Likes