Highlighted
Jan 10 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox 360 in total sales

8 replies 157 views Edited Jan 10, 2013

Finally, in its seventh year, the Playstation 3 has overtaken the Xbox360 in total worldwide sales.  It has sold 77 million as of January - Xbox360, 76 million.  It will likely get off another 10 million or so until the Playstation 4 releases, increasing its lead.  We're talking profit of at least $100 per unit sold - that'd be $1 billion in profit.  Which Sony can use for the Playstation 4's launch.

Message 1 of 9 (157 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15342 posts

Re: Playstation 3 overtakes Xbox 360 in total sales

Jan 10, 2013

Celebrations are in order.

Source?

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 2 of 9 (150 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 10, 2013

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

Finally, in its seventh year, the Playstation 3 has overtaken the Xbox360 in total worldwide sales.  It has sold 77 million as of January - Xbox360, 76 million.  It will likely get off another 10 million or so until the Playstation 4 releases, increasing its lead.  We're talking profit of at least $100 per unit sold - that'd be $1 billion in profit.  Which Sony can use for the Playstation 4's launch.

Not that I want to give XBox any leg up, but does that include units sold?  Net or gross profit even, only shows that more money was paid to Sony over XBox for systems and peripherals.

This could be attributed to lower sticker prices on XBoxes; due to either: sales, deals, or outright lower sticker prices.  Just because Sony refuses to break on their prices, might not necessarily mean they are outperforming XBox.

Like I said, I want nothing but the best for Sony and Playstation 3, but I don't know that overall "sales" can account for a domination yet.

Just saying.

Moble

Message 3 of 9 (142 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6916 posts

Jan 10, 2013

moblesuit75 wrote:

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

Not that I want to give XBox any leg up, but does that include units sold?  Net or gross profit even, only shows that more money was paid to Sony over XBox for systems and peripherals.

I'm not sure what you're getting at; the 77 million is units "sold."  It's not actually sales though - it's units shipped.  I originally saw this on PSLS, whose source was IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/report-ps3-surpasses-xbox-360s-worldwide-shipped-total

"It’s important to note that these figures are shipped and not sold to consumers (though it‘s unlikely production is far in excess of perceived demand for either console). It’s also important to note that it’s unclear if these numbers were garnered straight from sources at Sony and Microsoft"

Message 4 of 9 (136 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 10, 2013

Actually the Playstation 3's is winning in total untis shipped - not sold.  A minor error I made - but not that substantial of one, as units shipped tend to refect demand.  The total profit though, had nothign to do with Playstation 3 leading the Xbox360.  I got it from this:

http://www.examiner.com/article/report-ps3-passes-xbox-360-sales-wii-u-expected-to-sell-50-million-b...

Message 5 of 9 (135 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
220 posts

Jan 10, 2013

Yes but units shipped is the best indicator of units sold.  Thus - Sony Playstation 3, has probably outsold the Xbox360 finally.

Message 6 of 9 (131 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
4421 posts

Jan 10, 2013

JERM7 wrote:

moblesuit75 wrote:

JonathanCarabalo wrote:

I'm not sure what you're getting at; the 77 million is units "sold."  It's not actually sales though - it's units shipped.  I originally saw this on PSLS, whose source was IGN:

http://www.ign.com/articles/2013/01/10/report-ps3-surpasses-xbox-360s-worldwide-shipped-total

"It’s important to note that these figures are shipped and not sold to consumers (though it‘s unlikely production is far in excess of perceived demand for either console). It’s also important to note that it’s unclear if these numbers were garnered straight from sources at Sony and Microsoft"

I guess the OP was missing that specificity.  It simply stated 77 Million, with no indication of whether it was $ or Units.

I suppose one could extrapolate Units Sold from the information following, but there is where I was unsure of the indication of whether we were talking Gross, Net or other profit versus Units Sold.

As I see further, it is indeed Units Shipped, which simply constitutes more retailers and online sources obtaining Units, and does not indicate a true sample of Units Sold either.

That is like the Boston Red Sox (current) ownership's proposterations of a Sell Out Streak that continues, despite last year showing the stands not nearly full.  Just because Ace, Stub Hub, and other ticket brokers bought the tickets from the Red Sox Organization.  Again, not a true interpretation of customer sales per unit.  A Gate count would be more accurate in this example, thus a true Units Sold to Consumers (private) would be a better indication of where the two systems stand.

I love PS3, and would never buy an XBox; so I say keep up the good work Sony.  Let's beat them fair and square.

Moble

Message 7 of 9 (128 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
6916 posts

Jan 11, 2013

Yeah, I guess it made more sense to me since I had already read about it.  But $77 million would not be very many PS3s sold at all Smiley Wink.

Message 8 of 9 (111 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10192 posts

[ Edited ]
Jan 11, 2013

Shipped or sold, it doesn't really matter. If they shipped them, that means the retailers bought them. This means Sony sold them. Now whether the retailer takes a loss or not is on them. I doubt they would be buying them though if they already had consoles to sell.

And what does that mean, Sony wont budge on the price? Last prices I saw showed the Playstation bundles to be better than the Xbox skus. A 250GB 360 is still 300.00. There is a 200.00 model but its only 4GB. If you want the HDD, its more than 100.00 extra. Now they do have some 99.99 skus however that's only if you agree to an Xbox Live Gold contract for two years at 14.99 a month. That's $360 for the subscription (imagine that. 360) which brings the grand total of the console up to $460 minus some pennies. And if you want to charge your controller, that's an extra 19.99.

Message 9 of 9 (100 Views)
0 Likes