Platinum
55423 posts

Re: Plasma or LCD for gaming?

Oct 31, 2011

bmoose8 wrote:

I am looking for a new flat screen to mount. Which TV is better for gaming? Plasma or LCD? I have talked to several people in best buy and they said Plasma is the way to go. My room is not well lit so I would have no glare from a plasma. What do you think?

I've had both.  The plasma is just a tiny bit better than the LCD for gaming.  However, no matter what salespeople tell you, plasmas do get screen burn from video games so be careful.

I would get an LED LCD screen HDTV.

Message 51 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1883 posts

Nov 13, 2011

What about Laser TV?  What is the best for older consoles (snes/PS1) games?  I have a LED TV in my game room in India, the games look like the original version on a SDTV.

Message 52 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 13, 2011

PLYMCO_PILGRIM wrote:

bmoose8 wrote:

I am looking for a new flat screen to mount. Which TV is better for gaming? Plasma or LCD? I have talked to several people in best buy and they said Plasma is the way to go. My room is not well lit so I would have no glare from a plasma. What do you think?

I've had both.  The plasma is just a tiny bit better than the LCD for gaming.  However, no matter what salespeople tell you, plasmas do get screen burn from video games so be careful.

I would get an LED LCD screen HDTV.

---------------------------

Want to join BHD?  Just click this link Or visit here --> www.betterhideordie.com

IMO, only the original Plasma TV can really suffer from burn-in. I have a 5 year old Plasma TV that has been left on with static images, and the burned in images always go away. The panels are now made to be burn-in resistant, and I am sure that they are even better now...

Message 53 of 80 (461 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Nov 13, 2011

Sadaiyappan wrote:

What about Laser TV?  What is the best for older consoles (snes/PS1) games?  I have a LED TV in my game room in India, the games look like the original version on a SDTV.

Laser TV is something Mitubishi was using in their rear projection TVs to get a better quality image. Now that most TVs are mostly flat panels (in the US anyway) there probably won't be much of of a need for Laser TVs.

IMO classic gaming systems look terrible on any digital TV, they look much better on a CRT TV...

Message 54 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

Nov 15, 2011

LCD OLED > LCD LED > PLASMA

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 55 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
17397 posts

Nov 15, 2011

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

Sadaiyappan wrote:

Laser TV is something Mitubishi was using in their rear projection TVs to get a better quality image. Now that most TVs are mostly flat panels (in the US anyway) there probably won't be much of of a need for Laser TVs.

IMO classic gaming systems look terrible on any digital TV, they look much better on a CRT TV...

I do have to agree with this statement, while playing my old socom games on my hdtv I didnt feel at home at all....

GTA V FTW !

PSN : Stackcluster
Born young, not dead yet !
Message 56 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3428 posts

Nov 27, 2011

If you are playing current gen games; such as PS3 or Xbox 360, LCD/LED is the way to go.

Plasma does offer a bang for your buck, but you will be paying in the long run in most cases.

Plasmas are heavier, and use more electricity than most LCDs and LEDs. 

The quality difference between Plasma and LED is very small now.

So any modern LCD (Vizio if you are on a budget) will be fine.

Now for Wii, PS2, Gamecube, and pretty much anything older I would recommend going into high quality CRT sets.

Here is a set I used to own and it is probably one of THE best CRTs: http://www.amazon.com/Sony-KV-30HS420-Trinitron-HD-Ready-Widescreen/dp/B0002F7I9O  But I probably paid only $100 for it used. LOL

That screen displays current gen and last gen games beautifully, not too mention the speakers are way better than most Flat Panel TVs.  Super Smash on the Gamecube looked like a PS3 game in terms of smoothness and such.  LOL 

But I have moved on to LCD.

Message 57 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
256 posts

Nov 30, 2011

I would go with plasma which I do have myself. Have had it for about a year now with no burn issues as it for the most part has been resolved. There also great for movies if gaming isn't the only thing that you would use it for. I would also consider the size of the TV your looking for as there are no plasma under 42", but there better price to a similar size LCD TV. I did have a LCD as well the biggest difference is the black levels which are night and day.

Message 58 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
5 posts

Jan 7, 2012

i have  1080p LCD with a HDMI cable just for my ps3 and it gaming never been so beautiful!!!!!

Message 59 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1006 posts

Jan 9, 2012

I'd go for an LED or LCD.

"There are no atheists in the 85th minute" - Teju Cole
Message 60 of 80 (461 Views)
0 Likes