Last Guardian
13546 posts

Re: Plasma or LCD for gaming?

Jan 10, 2011

I have a 3 year old lcd Toshiba and I got a lcd specifically to avoid burn in.

Message 21 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 10, 2011

MrKrayzie420 wrote:

LCD for gaming.

Now LEDs however....woooooohooo.

Ok listen to me, there are no LED tvs on the market, they are all LCD tvs.  They simply have LED's behind them as the light source.  They still have every flaw that standard LCD tvs have, except the RGB LED lit ones have better color.

Unless you are reffering to the OLED tv by Sony which is 11", I'm pretty sure it is the only commercially available true LED tv on the market for the general public.

Even my tv has LEDs in it, that doesnt make it a LED tv.  Its an LED DLP.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 22 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1656 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Phillyblunz wrote:

This is all kinds of wrong.  LOL.            You show me any DLP that has ever burnt in an image, LOL.

You can leave the screen on pause for months and never have an ill effect.  Plasmas yes, DLP hell no.

Even LCD screens get image retention, though it is very unlikely.  DLP's can not get image retention, it isnt even possible.

The only reason to go with plasma is the fast response time eliminating blur, but DLP does that too and better as evident by the 3D plasmas having ghosting issues where DLP's do not have any bluriing or ghosting even in 3D.

LCD is very dependable but is slower then plasma or DLP giving bluring, image break up and lots of ghosting in 3D.

Plasma has decent color for accuracy, they are very fast so blurring isnt an issue, but they still have ghosting in 3D.

Also they do still get burn in or image retention and the methods used to reverse the damage age your tv prematurely.

Dont belieive me plasma lovers?  Turn on a game with a HUD, then pause that game and go to bed, see how your tv looks in 8 hours.  I guarantee that HUD will be a new permanent feature on your tv.

DLP is very fast no blurring or ghosting even in 3D.  If you get a lazer DLP or LED DLP the color is unmatched by any other tv tech and this also means no rainbow effect at all.  Also means long life of set due to no moving parts.  DLP can having uniformity issues with larger screen sizes, but this is usually less then a 0.25 of an inch over 60 inches, and this can be completely eliminated if you wish it to be.

In short the ultimate gaming tv is a lazer or LED DLP, but the newest LED LCDs will be 480hz so they may be coming around soon and hopefully solve the flaws of the current line up of 3D LED LCD's.

I imagine there are exceptions to these rules if you are willing to pay through the nose, but I havent seen it.

This is true of older Plasmas.  Research the new ones.  You have to try pretty hard to get any screen burn.  The newer Plasmas use a pixel shift technology that shifts the pixels slightly to the left and right to help prevent burn in.  They also dim after a few mins of a still image so that burn in does not occur.  Burn in only occurs from bright spots that remain for a period of time.  By dimming the screen on paused games or any other still image it greatly reduces the risk.  I fell asleep playing GT5.  It had the speedometer on the screen with the bright white outline.  When I woke up I panicked and turned the game off.  I turned on my scrolling bars to see of I had any screen burn.   After a few min all image retention was gone.  Screen burn is permanent and can not be removed.  Image retention is normal and will go away within min.  Screen burn protection has come a long ways since Plasmas first came out.

As I said before I have an LCD and a Plasma.  The Plasma is superior to my LCD in every way.  It is a newer Plasma built within the last 6 months.  Plasmas have a horrible reputation because on the first gen units.  The first gen units had an avg life span of 20,000 hours.  My unit has an expected life of 100,000 hours.  Most LCDs avg 60,000 and DLPs are far lower but have replacement bulbs avail.

Message 23 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
13546 posts

Jan 11, 2011

My next tv will be a plasma but I have no complaints about a 3 yearl old lcd.

Message 24 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
838 posts

Jan 11, 2011

This is what i'm talking about.

old-tv.jpg

Message 25 of 80 (1,021 Views)
Gaming Beast
2464 posts

Jan 11, 2011

I'm using LCD for my gaming needs and I have No complaints

Message 26 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 11, 2011

oneDMAC wrote:

Phillyblunz wrote:

This is all kinds of wrong.  LOL.            You show me any DLP that has ever burnt in an image, LOL.

You can leave the screen on pause for months and never have an ill effect.  Plasmas yes, DLP hell no.

Even LCD screens get image retention, though it is very unlikely.  DLP's can not get image retention, it isnt even possible.

I imagine there are exceptions to these rules if you are willing to pay through the nose, but I havent seen it.

This is true of older Plasmas.  Research the new ones.  You have to try pretty hard to get any screen burn.  The newer Plasmas use a pixel shift technology that shifts the pixels slightly to the left and right to help prevent burn in.   Image retention is normal and will go away within min.  Screen burn protection has come a long ways since Plasmas first came out.

As I said before I have an LCD and a Plasma.  The Plasma is superior to my LCD in every way.  It is a newer Plasma built within the last 6 months.  Plasmas have a horrible reputation because on the first gen units.  The first gen units had an avg life span of 20,000 hours.  My unit has an expected life of 100,000 hours.  Most LCDs avg 60,000 and DLPs are far lower but have replacement bulbs avail.

Now its you refferring to first gen DLPs.

My DLP has no bulb to replace, and has a stated life of over 100,000 hours. 

DLP's dont degrade just the bulbs do, and mine has LEDs so we will see how long they keep it up.  3yrs old now and like new.

I heard what you are saying from others for years now, and so went and bought a 50" plasma last Christmas.

The funny thing is even with all the retention protection I still had issues.  But not in the manner you describe.

What i found funny was that the bright parts of the screen werent noticably image retained, it was the portions of the screen where black bars form(or in this case grey bars, yet another attempt to prevent retention).  Like when watching SD I would get grey bars on the sides, and when watching HD I would get grey bars on the top and bottom.

The entire image of a plasma degrades very quickly, and the areas with grey bars dont degrade as fast.  Within a month I had very noticable image retention in all 4 corners of the screen where the grey bars intersect was the brightest part of the screen.

In short the technology used by plasmas is a dispossable one.  It blasts phosphors with high energy electrons and are actually burnt over time reducing the phosphors ability to produce photons which we see.  Burning is a chemical process and as such cannot continue indefinitely.  Once a plasmas phosphors start being used they inherently start being used up. 

All the anti-burnin features and white washing simply try to spread this across the screen even enough so you wont notice it.

The meer fact that there are white wash features and anti-burn techniques proves that it is not a thing of the past, and is simply being controlled better but has never been eliminated.

Good thing I got my plasma from Costco and I took it back after 2.5 months, by that time it wasnt nearly the tv I bought.

The thing is most people have nothing to compare to, I have a 61`LED DLP, and when I first got the 50`plasma I thought the image quality gave my DLP a run for its money, that quickly changed and the plasma couldnt compare to my DLP after a few weeks to maybe a month.

No I didnt baby the tv for 200 hrs prior to use, the meer mention of doing that is laughable and goes to prove my point of how fragile Plasmas really are.  This is like asking you to start out with a used screen, then change to normal settings once the screen has faded a certain degree, basically why buy a new plasma if you cant take advantage of it when it is new and actually outperforms other tv types until the inevitable dulling and loss of pop.

Im sure if you buy the highest end plasma ever built it will last longer then the one I had, but that goes to anything.  If you are willing to spare no expense the best technology to get for viewing content is a Projector using DLP technology, that will cost you tens of thousands of dollars.

I know plasma is not realistic for me, but they are nice for a while for sure.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 27 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 11, 2011

Hey OP if you interested in 3D I did a review of a 2007 3D ready DLP here compared to the newer 2010 3D sets here:

http://community.us.playstation.com/message/30866953#30866953

And 3d performance is a great indicator of 2D performance, as most tvs can do great 2D nowa days but only some truely shine in 3D.

Cheers.

Na13-31 wrote:

some_text
Message 28 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1289 posts

Jan 11, 2011

Why do threads of this nature always turn into a LCD vs. Plasma flame war?

Message 29 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
2109 posts

Jan 11, 2011

I'd go for an LCD. It's what I have.

Message 30 of 80 (1,021 Views)
0 Likes