Lombax Warrior
274 posts

Re: Plasma or LCD for gaming?

Jan 10, 2011

If you r rich i would say go for plasma . But LCD/LED seems more reliable. Cuz I have a plasma at home and i'm starting to see flashing red pixels where there's a black screen.

Message 11 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5263 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Don't know why everybody keeps saying to avoid plasma's because of burn in. I have a fairly new plasma and I have tried burning an image onto it. I kept a racing game's HUD (MPH, Lap, Position, Map) paused on the display for a day straight and there was nothing.

Message 12 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12345 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Plasma's are good for movies.

LCD for gaming.

Plasmas suffer from more burn-ins though. Plasmas are also cheaper too. I've heard people say it's got better picture quality than LCDs, but I don't see that significant of a difference.

Now LEDs however....woooooohooo.

Photobucket

Message 13 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
First Son
15 posts

Jan 10, 2011

i played my 360 for five years on an LCD and my PS3 for past two  yrs on the same LCD , it was a 27" westington house, i decided to upgrade and went to a 42" plasma it's from best buy the insignia brand got it for 399.99 us dollars,it has a game mode to prevent burn in ghosting frame rate stutterand all that other crap peeps complain about on blogs i read on other sites, like i had on the LCD. I will never go back to LCD ever but that's just my thoughts on the post TC

Message 14 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
Last Guardian
12211 posts

Jan 10, 2011

bmoose8 wrote:

I am looking for a new flat screen to mount. Which TV is better for gaming? Plasma or LCD? I have talked to several people in best buy and they said Plasma is the way to go. My room is not well lit so I would have no glare from a plasma. What do you think?

When each first came out everyone SHOULD say LCD. But since we're talking NOW, EVERYONE SHOULD say Plasma.

Plasma's are better than LCD's because:

-Burn in for both TV's is literally the same now, years ago Plasma's were more/easily prone to Burn In.

-Better colors than any other kind of HDTV, including Black levels.

-Now, they are cheaper since fewer are buying them. Years ago they were very expensive compared to LCDs.

You will get glare with any TV, it's all about the screen finish. If it's got the dull or matte look to it it helps reduce glare, but I have the glossy/glass finish, I just put all my window blinds down and it looks amazing.

And do not pay for any "calibration" service like Best Buy offers. They say it's some BS for $200+ dollars, but there is nothing wrong with your TV from the factory. And they say it's not the same as running a calibration disc then adjusting your colors/brightness, but it's still a waste of money. Go find a movie like Terminator 2 with the THX Optimizer

All these movies have the Optimizer that is perfect for ANY HDTV:

http://www.thx.com/consumer/home-entertainment/thx-certified-releases/

And if anyone is wondering, I've had a few LCD's before this Panasonic Plasma so I've had experience to compare.

Message 15 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5436 posts

Jan 10, 2011

soccermom_62 wrote:

Plasmas usually run at 600hz. (LCDs run at 60, 120, or 240) If you have an actual room for movies or games (no sunlight on the screen, dark room in general) plasmas are superior to LCDs. LCDs are just more popular....get a high end plasma if you can afford it. And they don't burn in unless you buy a pile of sh*t. Burn in is a thing of the past for the most part. Panasonic has some decent entry level plasmas (s1, or s2 series)

Samsing makes decent plasmas as well but I have heard they are the most reliable. If you go LCD get a samsung for sure. preferably a 6 series

soccermom_62

this is where so many are misinformed.

plasma have a 600hz SUB FIELD refresh rate

LCD refreshes the ENTIRE screen 120 or 240 times per second.

plasmas refresh PARTS of the screen at 600hz. NOT the entire screen.

you cant compare refresh rates on plasma and lcds

OP do your own homework and research before buying a certain brand! DONT listen to what ppl tell you to buy "for sure"

320gb Slim
500gb Slim
SoftModded Wii with 640GB HDD
320gb XBox 360 S
LG 55" 120Hz LCD
LG 1000w 5.1
42" Panasonic Viera Plasma
4TB Media Server
320GB HD PVR

Playstation Plus Member

Gaming Since 1983
Message 16 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1656 posts

Jan 10, 2011

I was against Plasmas for the longest time.  I have a Sony LCD in my bedroom that used to be in my living room.  I now have a Samsung 3D plasma in my living room and I also play my PS3 on it.  The Plasma is superior to my LCD in every aspect.  I have played GT5 for hours upon hours at a time with 0 screen burn.  You do occasionally get some image retention that goes away within a few min after prolonged use.  This is not the same thing as screen burn. 

Those who talk shit about Plasmas really need to do some research.  The plasmas on the market today are nothing like the plasmas of years back.  OP google both types of tvs and research as many tech sites on them as you can.  The right tv for you is a choice only you can make.

Message 17 of 80 (1,998 Views)
Treasure Hunter
8325 posts

Jan 10, 2011

alex_the_awesome wrote:

Don't know why everybody keeps saying to avoid plasma's because of burn in. I have a fairly new plasma and I have tried burning an image onto it. I kept a racing game's HUD (MPH, Lap, Position, Map) paused on the display for a day straight and there was nothing.

Why would you TRY to burn in an image to a new plasma tv?

Doesn't make sense.

Message 18 of 80 (1,998 Views)
Lombax Warrior
206 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Someone at best buy also told my girlfriend that LBP2 wouldnt use the move...

Message 19 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes
Umbrella Scientist
12347 posts

Jan 10, 2011

Burner626 wrote:

Not to put anyone down here, but don't buy a plasma. PERIOD

Plasmas and DLP's have a chance of burn in. Even if the technology has improved, there is still a chance of burn-in. With LCD or LED tvs, you won't have that problem. And I heard they're terrible in lit rooms (which you should be playing in, anyway).

This is all kinds of wrong.  LOL.            You show me any DLP that has ever burnt in an image, LOL.

You can leave the screen on pause for months and never have an ill effect.  Plasmas yes, DLP hell no.

Even LCD screens get image retention, though it is very unlikely.  DLP's can not get image retention, it isnt even possible.

The only reason to go with plasma is the fast response time eliminating blur, but DLP does that too and better as evident by the 3D plasmas having ghosting issues where DLP's do not have any bluriing or ghosting even in 3D.

LCD is very dependable but is slower then plasma or DLP giving bluring, image break up and lots of ghosting in 3D.

Plasma has decent color for accuracy, they are very fast so blurring isnt an issue, but they still have ghosting in 3D.

Also they do still get burn in or image retention and the methods used to reverse the damage age your tv prematurely.

Dont belieive me plasma lovers?  Turn on a game with a HUD, then pause that game and go to bed, see how your tv looks in 8 hours.  I guarantee that HUD will be a new permanent feature on your tv.

DLP is very fast no blurring or ghosting even in 3D.  If you get a lazer DLP or LED DLP the color is unmatched by any other tv tech and this also means no rainbow effect at all.  Also means long life of set due to no moving parts.  DLP can having uniformity issues with larger screen sizes, but this is usually less then a 0.25 of an inch over 60 inches, and this can be completely eliminated if you wish it to be.

In short the ultimate gaming tv is a lazer or LED DLP, but the newest LED LCDs will be 480hz so they may be coming around soon and hopefully solve the flaws of the current line up of 3D LED LCD's.

I imagine there are exceptions to these rules if you are willing to pay through the nose, but I havent seen it.

Na13-31 wrote:
Finally, the structure of my question is that you would have to disprove every possible outcome to be correct and I would just have to have one that would likely be beneficial. That's statistically in my favor by quite a bit.

some_text
Message 20 of 80 (1,998 Views)
0 Likes