Dec 27 2012
By: SnowHood-Ride50 Hekseville Citizen 320 posts

Personals Pics as Avatars Good Idea ?

13 replies 319 views Edited Dec 27, 2012

I Was Thinking i   would like to see our own personal pics from our  collection that we have save on our own ps3  i will like to see some of my personal pics of my friendsd family etc  as an avatar i think that would be cool.   i think sony should do that  .  would  anyone agreee with me  . do u think thats a good idea or bad idea.  i kbow in a way it can be a bad idea for some people but to me it will be a good idea. if anyone can let me know what they think i would appreciate it

Please use plain text.
Message 1 of 14 (319 Views)
PlayStation MVP
16257 posts

Re: Personals Pics as Avatars Good Idea ?

Dec 27, 2012

I don't think it's a bad idea but if you want it to have a chance of happening you need to suggest it on the blog.

http://share.blog.us.playstation.com/

Please use plain text.
Message 2 of 14 (311 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
1476 posts

Dec 27, 2012

I think this could be a bad idea. Stalkers and other weirdos would now know what you really look like.

Please use plain text.
Message 3 of 14 (290 Views)
0 Likes
Survivor
1690 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

Bad idea. There's no way of censoring what people put up.

Please use plain text.
Message 4 of 14 (285 Views)
Uncharted Territory
1182 posts

Dec 27, 2012

SnowHood-Ride50 wrote:

I Was Thinking i   would like to see our own personal pics from our  collection that we have save on our own ps3  i will like to see some of my personal pics of my friendsd family etc  as an avatar i think that would be cool.   i think sony should do that  .  would  anyone agreee with me  . do u think thats a good idea or bad idea.  i kbow in a way it can be a bad idea for some people but to me it will be a good idea. if anyone can let me know what they think i would appreciate it

There's a social MMO program which already experimented with this concept: Twinity.

Twinity_photogen.JPGUtilizing Photofit, a Twinizen can create an avatar with facial features which correspond quite closely to the user's actual appearance (example at right) -- indeed, as the name implies, Twinity's original concept was built around the idea of replicating real-world places and people as accurately as possible in a virtual environment. However, due to consumer feedback, Twinity has in recent times deviated from this towards something more akin to Second Life.

Would it be cool to have a core update which gave Home users enhanced avatar creation tools? Absolutely. More options are always better. And there are any number of users (myself included) who strive to make their avatars as representative of the actual person as possible -- indeed, Bobsfed recently posted a thread on that subject. But aside from the problem of screening against any depictions which are obscene, I also think you might be surprised by the number of people who would opt to not accurately depict themselves, either for privacy reasons or something else. Part of the psychological lure of being in a virtual world is the attraction of depicting yourself as you wish you were, rather than how you actually are. Granted, this can be (and is) abused for malicious purposes, but can also be of therapeutic benefit, as well.

I personally doubt that Sony would invest the necessary money and time to update Home's avatar creation tools so dramatically -- we're too far along in this console cycle -- but if there was ever a clean-sheet redesign of Home for the next console generation, it sure would be interesting to see what sort of tools Sony empowered the user with.

NorseGamer

Editor-in-Chief, HSM

www.hsmagazine.net

Please use plain text.
Message 5 of 14 (274 Views)
Fender Bender
2904 posts

[ Edited ]
Dec 27, 2012

Yeah I like to make my avatar of myself as accurate as possible. I had a thread on here a few months ago where I asked people if they make their avatars look like themselves and to prove it. It was fun for a little white because a lot people participated. But it kind of backfired on me because some trolls started to attack me on the way I look. I was hoping people on here were more mature and wouldn't sink that low, but I was wrong. Your idea is good, but just keep in mind that there are some immature people on here and you could be leaving yourself open to ridicule.

bobs fed signature
Please use plain text.
Message 6 of 14 (255 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5381 posts

Dec 27, 2012
No, bad idea....Home has enough stalkers and it would be twice as bad people asking for even more pictures. Disagree.
Please use plain text.
Message 7 of 14 (242 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
320 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Ty Everyone who responded to mypost  here  listening and reading what everyone said  its true what u all said bad idea  cause i didnt think of the stalkers and bad apples on people them seeing what u and ur family really looks like. i was just thinking of ideas of how us at the home comminutey can create a  home a better place.  even though i wish they they still would sony would u give the option to delete  some of the old clothes we dont need anymore or wear cause it takes up too much space in store in my opinion. to me thats 1st thing they realy should do

Please use plain text.
Message 8 of 14 (229 Views)
0 Likes
PlayStation MVP
16257 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Grand_Moff wrote:

Bad idea. There's no way of censoring what people put up.

Of course there is. It can be reported.Did you know you can report a PSN Id if you think it's inappropriate? This would be similar.

Please use plain text.
Message 9 of 14 (175 Views)
0 Likes
Final Boss
25375 posts

Dec 27, 2012

Forum Information and Help

If you want that ability on the forums, the request has to be posted in the right place.

The way you play the game is the way you live your life.

Get your Portable ID!
Please use plain text.
Message 10 of 14 (143 Views)
0 Likes