Uncharted Territory
1993 posts

Re: People who dont know english are ANNOYING

Mar 20, 2007

leviathan wrote:

Game_Rater wrote:
you my dear friend are somewhat racist. my grandma barely speaks english, but fluid spanish. if you were to go to spain, you would be the village idiot. so i wouldnt complain.

Same here.  Except my family is arabic.  Not everyone has to know English. Smiley Wink 

if you live in the united states you should, be repsectful enough to learn the language.
Message 41 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Uncharted Territory
1993 posts

Mar 20, 2007

Moon Child wrote:

VoltronForce wrote:
I agree with the poster in the sense that so many people come to the United States and make no effort to learn English.  Sure, there are many who do try extremely hard to learn it, and I have no problem with them, in fact I greatly respect them for trying, but there are those who refuse to even try.  The problem is that people still cater to them and there is little need to learn the language.  I, coincidently, lived in Poland for about 3.5 years.  I learned the language.  Polish is apparently one of the hardest languages for Americans to learn, but I managed to do it.  I know I do not speak perfect Polish, but I do speak rather well.  I read books in Polish.  It is not a lot to ask of somebody for them to learn a country's main language.  My main problem is with the people who have lived in the U.S. for 4, 5, 6 years or even longer and can't seem to put a coherent sentence together.  A little effort goes a long way.

Agreed. Since I live in an area where Hispanics are the majority and other races are minorities (no, it's not California), you don't really need to learn English to get by in the local jobs, almost everyone's bilingual.

If the person is in this country for a good couple of years and is going to school (pretty much a young person), they should have no problem picking it up. It's easier to learn a language when small, but VoltronForce is right, all it takes is effort. Without the will you'll get nowhere. I've seen and met about an equal amount of people who want to learn and others who would rather have someone else do it for them because they just don't want to understand and hope they'll get by on what they know.  On the other side, people who are from here need to have more patience with it and not mock them for trying. Instead, try helping.

I would think it also has to do with the demographics. If the person moves into a community filled with their race, it's more likely for them to stick to only their language since there's no need for a second one. Only when moved out of their environment will they be forced to cope with the rest of the strange new world.

I understand, we should be nicer but understand that alot of people are in this country illegally, have kids in our public schools and have health insurance all being paid by our legal taxpayers. I'd say for them learning the language is not a bad trade-off.
Message 42 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Hekseville Citizen
346 posts

Mar 20, 2007
Yep
Death come from one who is Dying Thus Ending the Existance of Mankind
DMC Sig
Message 43 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
4294 posts

Mar 20, 2007
Are you from Poland? For some reason, Americans love to say they are polish.
Big Bubba|| on 11/10/2005
PSN: Bubba_R
------ Sniper (3173 posts) on 05-08-2007 11:14 PM ------

1337!
Message 44 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3418 posts

Mar 20, 2007
Gendubre. I am 100%  Polish, and all of my relatives can't speak English and it makes me mad. I was born in Florida though. Let me guess, you are from Chicago.
Message 45 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5947 posts

Mar 20, 2007
When I go to a fast food place, all of the workers speak spanish. They don't even kow english, and they always screw up my orders. It pisses me off!Smiley Mad
Current Games:

Message 46 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Keyblade Wielder
10654 posts

Mar 20, 2007
English is an extremely unorganized language compared to most. It is one of the hardest languages to learn. Making fun of someone because they are slower at learning a different language is not cool.
Message 47 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
5760 posts

Mar 20, 2007

AwesomePaul wrote:
I understand, we should be nicer but understand that alot of people are in this country illegally, have kids in our public schools and have health insurance all being paid by our legal taxpayers. I'd say for them learning the language is not a bad trade-off.

And I agree with that completely. Both of my parents were raised in Mexico (but are here legally through my dad's birth) so they didn't pick up English until they came back here in their teens. They left their families behind because living in Mexico is a lost cause unless you're well-off, so you can imagine the overwhelming feeling they get of wanting to live here.

It's good that the government has been giving deadlines to when you can use Welfare because it's unfair to the rest of us families who work long and hard to earn a living. It sickens me to know that there's huge families here illegally, have a lot of kids, get a lot of governmental resources, and do nothing but sit in front of the TV all day (no I'm not generalizing, I actually know people like this).

Live every day as if it were your last, because one of these days, it will be.
Message 48 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Fender Bender
3998 posts

Mar 20, 2007
ehh damn mexicans (i know you were talking about polish people though) you come to america you speak ENGLISH el stupidos
Message 49 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes
Highlighted
Keyblade Wielder
9869 posts

Mar 20, 2007

PcShPrPoLnAiYkER wrote:
Ok i live in a town with alot of Polish people and alot just came from Poland and go to my school. (I am 100% Polish as well but ive been in America for 10 years)
Anyway in my school they barely know English so they are in ESL classes.
During math class i was making up homework the teacher assigned me for being absent and i had to make it up by the end of that period or else.
Then this Polish girl comes up to me and asks me to help her homework and she did it rudely too she threw her notebook on my desk. I told her im busy right now i cant.
She got mad and started cursing at me but i just laughed... shes a freshmen anyway so i didnt care.
Anyway all the Polish people think im so smart because i know english and they think i know it 100% which is annoying because i dont know it 100%. I mean i guess i should be happy but idk why im not.
They are jealous of me but they fail ESL class most of them are still in ESL 1.
Most of my friends are Polish but i talk to everybody else. (Hispanic etc) and people get jealous.
IDK why i posted this i guess because im bored but what do you think?

The reason i think people who dont know english are annoying is because they would like to know it but are too lazy to learn it. They would just like it to come to them just like that.

Message Edited by PcShPrPoLnAiYkER on 03-18-2007 02:39 PM

I think that you are right about people who don't know english as a second language. I am hispanic and was taught english first as my main language and have picked up a little bit of spanish from hearing my parents talk since they speak both english and spanish. Some people may have a harder time learing english than some who pick up the language so easily. I guess that people who don't speak english prefer their native language over english but it would be hard for them if they went to a the united states where mostly everyone speaks english.
Message 50 of 50 (2 Views)
0 Likes