Mar 12 2012
By: ShadowFyren Splicer 87 posts

PS3 40gb in 80gb bundle Brampton Best Buy Rip Off!

357 replies 373 views Edited Mar 12, 2012

BEST BUY BRAMPTON RIP OFF! "Brampton Best Buy" Defective Used 40gb found in 80gb Metal Gear Solid 4 Bundle

I would like to thank all of you who posted and pmed me with lots of good advice,  In the end I had to call Best Buy Head Quarters and File a Store Complaint, this finally got the attention of the manager, and they had a meeting. They came to the resolution of taking the PS3 back for a refund. So I went back to the store and got my full 500$ + TAX back.  I will continue to post about their investigation and also keep this thread up on google. If you would like to check, there is also information about this on Google MAPS, just type "Brampton Best Buy" in google and click on the map. On the left side you will see a warning message about the store(To warn all of their customers of the possibility of this happening to them).  But for now I am stuck withoout a PS3 80gb Bundle because its sold out everywhere.If anyone recomends where I can buy one in Canada Ontario around Brampton , you would only be helping me further. =D : http://boardsus.playstation.com/playstation/board/message?board.id=ps3&thread.id=3210883

Thank you again, and I hope everyone has learned from this example and I recomend that everyoen OPEN THEIR PACKAGE AND CHECK THAT THE SERIAL NUMBER ON THE BOX AND THE ONE ON THE PRODUCT MATCH BEFORE YOU LEAVE THE STORE.

Thanks to all of you with helpfull suggestions

Google :"Best Buy Brampton"and see whos thread comes out on the firs page of search results.

http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=best+buy+brampton&btnG=Search&meta=
http://www.google.ca/search?hl=en&q=best+buy+brampton&btnG=Search&meta=

I really do hope that someone from Best Buy sees this and the negative attention that its getting, please help me by posting this link different places.

Hope fully this will get looked at

Thank you again!

Day 1: August 5th 2008

Today I just got a new PS3 80gig, the MGS4 bundle. But when i opened it, the ps3 only had 2 usb ports, and it didnt have any card readers.(There was no flip up lid thing). I bought it from best buy, and im going tomorrow to find out what happened. But i first wanted to know if all MGS4 bundle ps3 80gigs came with 4 usb ports and card readers, or do some look exactly like the 40gig(2 usb ports and no card readers).??? There are also finger prints and scratches, but now i know that its not from packaging, and that someone placed this inside.

Edit: I went into the system settings and checked the space, and it was 9000mb/37gb. That means it was a defective 40gig, that someone replaced into this MGS4 Bundle, im going back later today to return it, ill post what the result is when i get back from bestbuy.

Documentation if you care to read:

On Tuesday August 5th 2008 we had purchased the PLAYSTATION3 80Gb Metal Gear Solid 4 bundle from the Bestbuy in Brampton, Ontario, Canada. Not knowing we had just been ripped off, we took the product home. At first glance the sticker seal on the box was a bit loose, but after removing this seal we proceded to open the box. As we unpacked the box we noticed that the thin styrofoam wrapping seemed be unproffesionally wrapped around the PS3. When unwrapped we saw that the PS3 had finger prints, slight scratches and even a piece of hair stuck to one of the corners! Much to our surprise, it wasnt a 80gb Playstation 3 at all! It was a used 40gb model. To reconfirm that it was a 40gb, I had posted on the PLAYSTATION FORUM, and users there had assured me it was a 40gb not an 80gb!

The Ps3 itself was a 40gb by appearance, because instead of 4 USB ports as in the 80gb models, there were only 2. There was no flip up lid for the card readers as in the 80gb model, and instead of a silver plated front, it was a matte chrome plate, so it was clearly not an 80gb PS3 as we thought we had purchased. We also checked the Model and Serial Numbers of the PS3, and found out they were different compared to what was on the box.

To further investigate and to be sure that it was a 40gb model, we appropriatly connected it to the Tv and plugged it in. On startup it was made clear to us that the PS3 had been formatted to make it look like it wasnt used, but it was obvious from its exterior that it was used and badly maintained. So we created a new user on the PS3 to be able to access the XMB and view the system information. When we got to the system properties and views the memory of the system it displayed as roughly around 9000mb/37gb. It was the first startup and already only 9gb out of 37gb were available, which made it clear to us that it was not just the WRONG PRODUCT, but it was also a DEFECTIVE USED PRODUCT.

Seeing this misplaced product, we packed it back with everything that had come with it. As it was already late, we had to wait till the next day after work to go back to Best Buy.

Day 2: August 6th

Brampton Best Buy  Rip Off! They DID NOT TAKE IT BACK!

THEY COMPLETELY DIDNT CARE, The Manager walked away before our problem was resolved!! Does ANYONE have any information on what i can do, who i can call, PLEASE ANY HELP WILL BE GREATLY APPRECIATED!

At Bestbuy I went to customer support, and since I knew I wasn't at fault, I told them what was in there and what was supposed to be there, and explained to the store manager(he refused give his last name). He said that there is nothing he will do and told us to give them our contact information. Best Buy took the two different serial numbers, the one on the box, and the one on the defective 40gb and said they are going to email loss prevention. The manager just walked away while we were talking with another lady and wasn't very helpful.

Day 3: August 7th

Pictures of Everything(except the ones with serial numbers on them(Just know that they are different):
PS3 MGS4 Bundle BOX

What seems to be a used controller

Used 40gb, look how bad it looks!

I emailed the team of Consumerist.com with the general description abotu what happened and asked who on the team i should send more information too.THANK YOU GUYS FOR THAT SUGGESTION =D

On August 7th, we contacted Best Buy Head quarters(Burnaby, British Columbia) We explained that we had recived a defective, used 40gb ps3 inside the MGS4 80gb PS3 bundle and that Best Buy wasnt taking it back. The lady who I spoke to, said she contacted Best Buy Brampton and arranged a replacement with 2 of their employees. So I called Best Buy Brampton just to confirm, and asked for one of the employees who I had been referred to, It seemed as though she was a bit confused about the situation, and I explained to her the situation and she said that we could replace it with her by 2:30, but since we wouldnt be able to go until much later on, she said that her supervisor(THE LADY WHO WAS AT THE STORE THE DAY BEFORE) would be there after 2:30. So I waited untill after 4 and just to reconfirm, we called the supervisor who was one of the people who we talked to the day before about exchaning the PS3, she then said that she had got the wrong message and that it wasnt possible to replace(**bleep**? HQ SAID YOU WOULD!) untill they receive the message from their lost prevention team, she said she had given the serial number information to her inventory manager and that he would Email the headquarters about this lost prevention thing. The supervisor told me to call Sony because the serial number are traced all the way back to the manufactureer and only they can do that. But first I called and explained to Best Buy Head quarters what the response had been from Best Buy in Brampton. I told Best Buy head quarters how Best Buy Brampton refused to do anything until they get a response from lost prevention. The one on the phone at Best Buy Head quarters said she had never heard anything about lost prevention! She said there is nothing they can do from Head Quarters and their only suggestions were to file a store complaint or come to an agreement with the manager. After I heard from Best Buy head quarters that there was nothing called lost prevention I was very frustrated that the head quarters would know nothing about what Best Buy Brampton was claiming to solver this from. So my final option was to call Playstation Consumer Support, I spoke to a man at consumer support, who said that Sony wouldnt be able to do anything with the serial number, and that Sony cant do anything because the only point of where the product could have been tampered with was at the store level. I felt like I was going in circles, everyone reffered me back to the store, but the store just told me to go elsewhere. I was stuck, refusing to leave it at that, I asked for his supervisor, talking to him gave the same result, so I asked for someone with higher authority than him and he forwarded me to what seemed to be his supervisor. The man who picked up the phone explained that Sony couldnt do anything, and that its the retailers fault of selling a tampered with product. He said that he'd get back to me later, but for now I had no where else to go.

Would calling the  POLICE be a good idea? because i know that im not the one who switched it, So would calling the police force Best Buy to give them the sales records of the serial number? because the serial number should be associated with a name  on who owned this 40gb right?
Day 4: August 8th
Today I decided to call back Best Buy Head Quarters and find out what went wrong, when there was an agreement made for the exchange to go through. So I called them, and a lady at Best Buy Head Quarters spoke to me, and she did what the previous consumer support people didnt do, she filed a store complaint and she created a case. This will be good for us  because now when i call they have something to look at to understand what i am talking about. She was nice enough to explain the whole process to me, and filled out the forms for the store complaint. She said that it would take maximum untill tuesday for the Manager to get back to me. But today a supervisor will call me back so I can explain what had happened the day before after she had arranged the exchange.
Day 5: August 9th
I received a message yesterday from a supervisor at BestBuy head quarters, I was told to call back today and ask to speak to a supervisor. Lets see what happens.

PLEASE POST THE LINK OF THIS THREAD ANYWHERE YOU SEE FIT:
I really do hope that someone from Best Buy sees this and the negative attention that its getting, please help me by posting this link different places.

Thank you again!

Message Edited by ShadowFyren on 08-09-2008 02:18 PM
Message Edited by ShadowFyren on 08-09-2008 02:34 PM
Message Edited by ShadowFyren on 08-09-2008 04:55 PM
Message Edited by ShadowFyren on 08-10-2008 11:10 AM
Message Edited by ShadowFyren on 08-12-2008 09:41 AM
Message 358 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7831 posts

**bleep**?? PS3

Aug 6, 2008
does it have a chrome disc front, or is it matte silver.
Message 1 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Wastelander
877 posts

Wow you got ripped off. some moron probbably bought a 80...

Aug 6, 2008

Wow you got ripped off. some moron probbably bought a 80 gig and put his 40 gig in the box and returned the ps3/ was the box and dverything sealed up?

PSN: A-R-A-S-H
Message 2 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Treasure Hunter
7325 posts

Re: **bleep**?? PS3 MGS4 Bundle 80gig, only comes w

Aug 6, 2008
They SHOULD be full 80GB's.  That's a ripoff.  Get a refund.  That's just downright cheap actually.
Message 3 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
I Only Post Everything
1327 posts

Re: **bleep**?? PS3 MGS4 Bundle 80gig, only comes w

Aug 6, 2008
Yea dude, that is **bleep**ed up. The 80gb MGS4 should be exactly like the 80gb Motorstorm except a different color and a DS3
Message 4 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

yea it was a matte silver O.o, omg **bleep**! and when i unwra...

Aug 6, 2008
yea it was a matte silver O.o, omg **bleep**!

and when i unwrapped the styrofoam thing, there was already 2 small scratches and fing prints all over. But the DS3 controller is untouched, and it looks perfectly wrapped. so does this mean.... there is a thief amon the besbuy workers O.o
Message 5 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Gaming Beast
2565 posts

Re: **bleep**?? PS3 MGS4 Bundle 80gig,

Aug 6, 2008

ShadowFyren wrote:
Today I just got a new PS3 80gig, the MGS4 bundle. But when i opened it, the ps3 only had 2 usb ports, and it didnt have any card readers.(There was no flip up lid thing). I bought it from best buy, and im going tomorrow to find out what happened. But i first wanted to know if all MGS4 bundle ps3 80gigs came with 4 usb ports and card readers, or do some look exactly like the 40gig(2 usb ports and no card readers).???

That sounds like a 40, what is  the model number? If it is CECHH01 it is a 40, it should be CECHE01MG for the MGS4 Bundle but all signs point to 40

Message Edited by ARW on 08-05-2008 06:00 PM
Message 6 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Sackboy
487 posts

Re: PS3 MGS4 Bundle 80gig, only comes with 2 usb ports and no cardreader???

Aug 6, 2008

Check if your 80GB PS3 has capability to create PS1 and PS2 virtual memory cards. Look at the heat vents of your 80GB PS3. The original 20/60/80GB has more vents at the bottom.

Maybe Sony ran out of the original 80GB PS3 and shipping with the "new" 80GB PS3 which is 40GB PS3 hardware.

Message 7 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Lombax Warrior
266 posts

Re: yea it was a matte silver O.o, omg **bleep**! and when i unwra...

Aug 6, 2008
Sounds to me someone did the switcheroo trick.  Was the seal on the box broken?

Message 8 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes
Splicer
87 posts

Re: **bleep**?? PS3 MGS4 Bundle 80gig,

Aug 6, 2008

The model number on the internal box says:CECHH01 MG, but the model number on the ps3 itself says: CECHH01.

I would have never expected this from bestbuy...

Message 9 of 358 (373 Views)
0 Likes