Highlighted
Jan 15 2013
By: JonathanCarabalo Lombax Warrior 220 posts

PS 4 CPU is 3000 times more powerful then Wii U's

[ Edited ]
10 replies 1298 views Edited Jan 15, 2013

The Wii U CPU employs a PowerPC750 processor.  1.24 ghz with three cores.  Each core has a 64-bit SIMD unit capable 1 floating-point operation per cycle, or 2 32-bit mulitply-adds per cycle.  The Playstation 4's CPU will likely use an AMD FX CPU.  The Bulldozer architecture.  8 cores, at 4 ghz.  Each core has 2 128-bit single-precision SIMD units which can each do 4 32-bit SIMD operations per cycle, and 2 64-bit scalar FP/double-precision SIMD units which can each do 2 32-bit SIMD operations or 1 64-bit SIMD operation per cycle.  The AMD CPU will also have at least 800 stream processors.  Each of which can do 1 32-bit floating point multiply/add per cycle.  2 FP operations per cycle there.  Add all this up gives:

Wii U's CPU = 14.880 GFLOPS 32-bit SIMD or 7.440 GFLOPS 64-bit SIMD

Playstation 4's CPU = 1,974.4 GFLOPS, or 1.974 TFLOPS ( 384 GFLOPS (CPU) + 1.6 TFLOPS (CPU vector co-processor))

That's a factor of 132:1.

The basic CPU component of the Playstation 4's SIMD performance is divided into 32-bit and 64-bit figures as follows:

384 GFLOPS 32-bit SIMD OR 256 GFLOPS 32-bit SIMD and 64 GFLOPS 64-bit SIMD

ALU (Integer) performance:
Wii U - PowerPC 750 @233MHz ~= 525DMIPS, scaling that gives: 8,381 Dhrystone MIPS

AMD FX 8 core (bulldozer) - 8 core, about 200,000 Dhrystone MIPS

A difference of 23:1.  However, if this isn't enough for you, the CISC, out-of-order architecture of the AMD FX 8 core chip, running at 4 ghz, will be about 3,000 times faster then the Wii U's PowerPC 750 (G3) chip, at running regular programs.  As well as use 1/3 the memory footprint for the program code itself - which in this generation makes a big difference.  Instead of a 200 MB on the PowerPC architecture, it only takes up 66.66 MB on the Playstation 4. 

Message 1 of 11 (1,298 Views)
0 Likes
MVP Support
24784 posts

Re: PS 4 CPU is 3000 times more powerful then Wii U's

Jan 15, 2013
Message 2 of 11 (1,289 Views)
0 Likes
Big Daddy
18887 posts

Jan 15, 2013

I don't think this upcoming generation is going to be about processing power. 

I think the processing power of computers and consoles have reached a point where pumping out more realistic graphics and physics is approaching a bit of a plateau. The cost of creating these games, and the marginal difference in the game experience in pumping out a few more pixles is not going to be a determining factor in game or console purchases.

It's going to be more about what's being brought to the table; making the console more interactive and omnipresent, more connected and versatile. 

Message 3 of 11 (1,283 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jan 15, 2013

coreno wrote:

I don't think this upcoming generation is going to be about processing power. 

I think the processing power of computers and consoles have reached a point where pumping out more realistic graphics and physics is approaching a bit of a plateau. The cost of creating these games, and the marginal difference in the game experience in pumping out a few more pixles is not going to be a determining factor in game or console purchases.

It's going to be more about what's being brought to the table; making the console more interactive and omnipresent, more connected and versatile. 

I'd like to see them focus more on AI come this new gen.  Capable, AI at that.  AI that reacts accordingly but isn't entirely 'scripted'.

Message 4 of 11 (1,275 Views)
0 Likes
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 15, 2013
The WiiU isn't supposed to compete with the PS4. Nintendo hasn't been about having the best technology in their systems since the GameCube.

The WiiU is targeting a different market that the PS4, they can make a less powerful system.

The WiiU is designed to be an upgrade for those that have already purchased a Wii, especially since some WiiU games require a Wiimote and Nunchuck to play.
Message 5 of 11 (1,271 Views)
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:
The WiiU isn't supposed to compete with the PS4. Nintendo hasn't been about having the best technology in their systems since the GameCube.

The WiiU is targeting a different market that the PS4, they can make a less powerful system.

The WiiU is designed to be an upgrade for those that have already purchased a Wii, especially since some WiiU games require a Wiimote and Nunchuck to play.

the WiiU isnt targeting anyone really. in order to target an audience, you at least need games. ports of old games and shovelware isnt decent enough library to bring in any audience, well aside from Nintenyearolds.

and the WiiU isnt designed to be an upgrade, Nintendo designed it to be a new "next gen" system, or at least thats what theyve been trying to tell people.

Message 6 of 11 (1,268 Views)
0 Likes
Ghost of Sparta
15343 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Why do you hate the Wiiu so much? That is all you've been postingabout in the OT.

Imperator Danknovaxperaux Divi filius Imp XIII Pont Max Trib Pot XLIX Cos CXVI Primus Signiferi Box-xy Princeps Moderatores Pater Forum

Fabulous!
Message 7 of 11 (1,260 Views)
PIayStation MVP
12905 posts

Jan 15, 2013

the_original_se wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

the WiiU isnt targeting anyone really. in order to target an audience, you at least need games. ports of old games and shovelware isnt decent enough library to bring in any audience, well aside from Nintenyearolds.

and the WiiU isnt designed to be an upgrade, Nintendo designed it to be a new "next gen" system, or at least thats what theyve been trying to tell people.

I do beleive that Nintendo & Sony aren't going after the same consumer for the most part. I do agree that ports aren't going to attact many people, especially since many of those ports can be purchased cheaper on the PS3 & X360. I purchase Nintendo products to play Nintendo games.

Perhaps "upgrade" isn't the right term, but the WiiU is positioned to appeal to current Wii owners. Like I said if you want to support multiple players, it requires Wiimotes; that is something current Wii owners already have, plus being BC with the Wii is a big plus too...

Message 8 of 11 (1,259 Views)
0 Likes
Shinra Executive
42149 posts

Jan 15, 2013

darknovaxp wrote:

Why do you hate the Wiiu so much? That is all you've been postingabout in the OT.

I've been wondering the same.  Seems to be on an Anti-Nintendo binge.  If you don't care for them (kind of like me but I do kind of keep up vaguely with all the platforms), then why so much interest in making "Nintendo will go software only/Wii is the Dreamcast" threads? (don't know if those are his).

Message 9 of 11 (1,256 Views)
0 Likes
VP of Gaming
34146 posts

Jan 15, 2013

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

the_original_se wrote:

Logical_Dolphin wrote:

I do beleive that Nintendo & Sony aren't going after the same consumer for the most part. I do agree that ports aren't going to attact many people, especially since many of those ports can be purchased cheaper on the PS3 & X360. I purchase Nintendo products to play Nintendo games.

Perhaps "upgrade" isn't the right term, but the WiiU is positioned to appeal to current Wii owners. Like I said if you want to support multiple players, it requires Wiimotes; that is something current Wii owners already have, plus being BC with the Wii is a big plus too...

the WiiU seems to have just been rushed. much like the PS3, it was released without a solid plan for games.

had the system launched with some solid titles and announcements of future titles im sure it would be doing a lot better than it currently is.

unless Nintendo unveils some big stuff at E3, the WiiU is just going to be steamrolled by Microsoft and Sony at E3(due to the rumors of new systems).

Message 10 of 11 (1,251 Views)
0 Likes